Title of post: Project Lead Community Support Worker (Fixed Term
until July 2013
Reporting to: Project Director
Accountable to: The Director (and Board of Trustees)
Starting Salary: £12,538 pro rota (£25,538)
Working Hours: Part time 24.5 hours/week
Holidays: To Be Agreed
Responsible For: Leading in conjunction with the Project Director the
running of the West Sussex service across the
Crawley, Worthing & Chicester areas. To manage,
maintain and develop the organisation's services.
Identifying appropriate support mechanisms to further
assist new and existing service users
requirements/needs delivered at a range of external
locations across the county
To lead in the identification and development of appropriate support mechanisms
– both emotional and social - for service users. To further assist these users in
accessing additional support services.
To participate in the assessment of service user’s needs, ensuring any plans to
meet identified needs are appropriate, within good practice guidelines, and to
liaise with external providers and professionals where necessary.
To support outreach service provision in the West Sussex areas in conjunction
with the Service Manager.
Administration – to undertake the appropriate levels of administration support to
the service and maintain own administration needs to the required levels of
Main Purpose of Job:
To oversee the day-to-day co-ordination and management of St Peters Houses’
services in West Sussex ensuring that projects and services are delivered to high
quality standards and are appropriate to the needs of service users.
1. To provide regular and consistent line management support to project staff.
This involves regular supervisory sessions, appraisals, training, personal
support and professional development.
2. In conjunction with management participate in the recruitment processes for
the selection of staff within the West Sussex team and to ensure appropriate
induction processes are in place to support any new staff members.
3. To co-ordinate and ensure that appropriate recruitment and induction
processes are in place to support any volunteers joining the project.
4. To undertake a key worker role providing a non complex client case load and
group work. Where appropriate sign-post clients seeking support to
appropriate professional(s) or agencies.
5. To participate in the development of care support plans for service users, in
conjunction with other professionals.
6. To be actively involved in the multidisciplinary care of service users.
7. To develop and implement appropriate documentations in conjunction with
external agencies to enhance and support the effectiveness of internal and
external processes and communication.
8. Networking, developing and maintaining good working relationships with
voluntary and statutory agencies and other key agencies whose work
includes the support and welfare of those with and affected by HIV/AIDS.
9. To participate in the development of the St. Peters House Services in
including education and health promotion of Service Users, in conjuction with
the other agencies
10. To participate in maintaining the filing system and other office systems. This
is to include: - service user data (both electronic and manual records) and
publicity mailing lists - keeping up-to-date at all times. Collect anonymised
data (including feed-back/information provided by users) for monitoring and
11. To lead on collating information and contribute effectively towards quarterly
and annual monitoring reports.
12. As part of the St Peters House, participate in the planning and organisation of
fund-raising initiatives and HIV awareness programmes. Including all aspects
13. To attend, report and contribute to team meetings, St Peters House’s Board of
Directors and Members meeting (where appropriate) and St Peters House
Planning days and all other internal and external meetings and training events
14. To take a lead role for the day-to-day petty cash and financial systems of the
St Peters House project work in West Sussex. All financial processes to be
carried out in conjunction with the Book-Keeper/Administrator & Services
15. To participate where appropriate to any budgeting, financial planning and cost
control to ensure the cost-effectiveness of all project activity and associated
16. To work closely and negotiate on behalf of St Peters House with all appropriate
parties and local agencies to creatively develop new projects and
secure/enhance the work of existing projects. To consider and explore
fundraising opportunities for additional project development and/or activity.
17. To ensure that all policies including those associated to Equal Opportunities
Policy, Health and Safety and Confidentiality Policy and Procedures are
established and maintained within project. Working alongside staff, to help
ensure that adequate procedures are in place to ensure the implementation of
a suitable user complaints process and to contribute to the development and
monitoring of Equal Opportunities policy within St Peters House as a whole.
18. To develop and maintain evaluation systems allowing for client feedback to
ensure that St Peters House delivers quality of services to its users, constantly
listening to clients’ experience and feeding it back into the team's own learning,
practice and service development
19. Maintaining accurate records, reports, monitoring statistics and other written
work. To communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
20. Developing the overall publicity and promotion of St Peters House in West
Sussex and its work. Being involved in the development of appropriate
publicity materials and representing St Peters House in your locality.
21. Demonstrable commitment to equality and diversity, ensuring that equal
opportunities are applied at all times.
22. To work within the boundaries of the client/worker relationship at all times.
23. Promote the service through leaflets, posters and website and disseminate
information to other statutory and voluntary agencies that may be making
referrals to the service and maintain ongoing contact with them.
24. To recognise the limitations of own experience and understanding of clinical
issue and refer to Service Manager in these situations.
25. Any other reasonable duties requested by the Services Manager.
PERSON SPECIFICATION/ROLE REQUIREMENTS – ESSENTIAL
1. Experience of Managing staff
2. Working with people from a range of ethnic, cultural, social and religious
Experience in community outreach work within both health and social care.
3. Experience of working in partnership with both statutory and non-statutory
4. Experience of working in partnership with both statutory and non-statutory
5. Experience in key working.
6. Demonstrable understanding of HIV/Sexual Health/Mental Health issues.
7. Demonstrable understanding of Benefits & Income Support system
8. Must own or have regular use of car
[C] Skills and Competencies
1. Excellent team working skills required.
2. Demonstrable ability to take initiative in both familiar and unexpected
3. Ability to support client with individual goals to develop positive outcomes and
4. Ability to take direction in order to progress in own development and that of
5. Demonstrable understanding of Equal Opportunities policy and practice and a
commitment to its implementation
6. Excellent organisational skills with the proven ability to work to targets and
7. Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively
at all levels.
8. Demonstrable understanding of Health and Safety policies and practice within
a community based setting
9. An understanding of confidentiality and a commitment to uphold professional
and organisational values and standards.
10. Willingness to work flexibly to meet the needs of the organisation including
the ability to be reliable, resourceful and energetic.
11. High competency IT skills and use and able to manage own administration.
12. Prepared to travel to various locations in West Sussex
PERSON SPECIFICATION/ROLE REQUIREMENTS – DESIRABLE
1. Experience of working with volunteers.
2. Experience of working for a voluntary/not-for-profit organisation.
Hold full UK driving licence.
Based at St. Peters House Project (Horsham Office) and provision of outreach at
The post is subject to a 12-week probationary period. All other terms and conditions
are fully described in the contract of employment.
All posts within St Peters House have the opportunity of an annual
Role description prepared/updated by:
………………………………………………………… Date …………………………….
………………………………………………………… Date …………………………….