Chapter 9 Marine Reptiles. Birds, and Mammals
1. Land-dwelling vertebrates are often called __________________________________,
2. What is the common name for class Aves?
3. Sea turtles have not completely transitioned to marine life because they still
return to land to do what?
4. A whale’s embryo shows what characteristics as that of creatures that walk
5. Reptiles are cold blooded. What other two words are used to describe
something that is cold blooded?
6. What do reptiles not thrive in colder regions?
7. What is the one thing that land turtles can do that sea turtles cannot do?
8. Which species of sea turtles is the largest when talking about size.
9. Sea turtles often return to the same feeding grounds and the same beaches to
lay their eggs year after year. Though we are no certain how they do this, we
have some evidence that they do it by sensing what?
10. Approximately how many species of sea snakes are found in the oceans?
11. Sea snakes are being over exploited for what?
12. Fill in the table with the correct order.
Whales, Dolphins, and Porpoises
Polar Bears and Sea Otters
Seals, Sea lions, and Walruses
12. What purpose does hair on the body of marine mammals serve?
13. Pinnipeds have a large amount of blubber on their body which serves these
14. What two factors help pinnipeds conserve heat?
15. How are seals distinguished?
16. What animal is the largest pinniped?
17. What three items were seals hunted for?
18. What act extended protection to all marine mammals and restrict the sale of
their products in the United States?
19. Which member of the pinnipeds has a distinctive pair of tusks growing down
from its mouth?
20. Walruses use their tusks for two purposes, what are they?
21. What animal is the smallest marine mammal?
22. What order are the only strict vegetarians of the marine mammals?
23. What three reasons have humans exploited Sirenians?
24. What are the two main causes of sea grass beds being destroyed?
25. What are the two groups that whales are divided into?