Using the Hangman Generator is REALLY EASY. Once you’ve tried it, you’ll see what I mean.
I think you'll love it! I’m going to put a SHORT version of the steps in the first section, with more
detailed instructions below that in case you run into problems.
SHORT VERSION of INSTRUCTIONS:
A. Paste your quote from a word-processing program into the top box of hangman_generator.
B. Select “Underscore”, “Slashes”, and “White Collar” in the middle portion of hangman_generator.
C. Click in bottom box of hangman_generator (it will automatically “select all”)
D. Copy and paste that into your forum message.
E. As letters are requested, return to hangman_generator, check the boxes next to those letters. (This
will automatically update the bottom box)
F. Click in bottom box again, and copy and paste updated puzzle into your forum message.
G. Letters & totals will automatically be printed at the bottom of your puzzle.
H. If you CLOSE hangman_generator, it goes blank again, but READ STEPS 11 - 18 below. It’s EASY to
DETAILED VERSION of INSTRUCTIONS: (micro-steps)
1. Type your quote into your own word processing program, COPY-and-paste your quote into the top of
two large boxes in the hangman_generator.
2. Hit the "enter" key, and you'll see the quote blanks fill the bottom box auto-magic-ally.
3. SAVE and CLOSE your word-processing document. (You MAY or MAY NOT need it later. I'll explain in
a few minutes.)
4. On the hangman_generator, tick the boxes next to "underscore" and "slashes" and "white collar".
5. Click in the bottom box (it automatically selects everything), "COPY" and "paste" into your forum reply.
6. As long as the hangman_generator program is left open, you can just keep going back and forth to it
and updating it as requests come in.
7. As the letters are requested in the forum, return to the generator, check the box next to
each requested letters.
8. The selected letters auto-fill into the bottom box, replacing their "blanks".
9.THEN, click in the bottom box again, copy and paste into the forum.
10. As additional letters are requested, reopen generator, add those new letters, and copy-paste again.
The hangman_generator DOES NOT "save" your puzzle for you if you CLOSE it. Since the puzzle in the
forum can take days, I usually need to close the generator at least once in the course of a puzzle. When
I re-open it, it is entirely empty again. THIS does NOT cause a major problem!
11. Re-open your original word-processing document.
12. Re-copy your original quote into the TOP box, save and close your word document again.
13. Hit "Enter" and the puzzle (all blanks again!) will show up at the bottom.
14. Re-select "underscore", "Slashes" and "White Collar"
15. Go back to YOUR last post in the forum (the one with the most recent partial-solution)
16. At the bottom of that post, you'll see all the letters that you had ALREADY posted listed at the
17. In your hangman_generator, re-check those letters, and they'll fill in the bottom box again.
18. IF new letters have been requested in the interim, check those off again and re-post the bottom box,
with those new letters.
Repeat as necessary. (The ONLY reason for the word document is to recover your original quote.
Otherwise, you need to keep hand-typing the quote into the hangman_generator every time you close it.
Pain in the neck!)
AGAIN, it looks complicated. IT IS NOT.
(NOTE: When you copy/paste from generator it adds a few lines of code at the bottom that used to lead
back to the creator’s webpage. That no longer exists. You can delete those rows from your post, but if
you don’t, it's no big deal. It just makes a link to a nonexistent page.)
Sorry for the LONG post. Give it a try. Despite my complicated explanation, it's simple.