Honors American History Mr. E.L. Jasper
Chapter 12: Part 2 Hw Questions 2006 – 2007
1. What was the one most important by-product of the War of 1812? Where in the USA
was it the strongest?
2. Why was it necessary to revive the Bank of the United States?
3. Why did British manufacturers dump their goods in America at extremely low prices
after the war? How did the USA react?
4. Why did New England oppose Henry Clay’s call for the building of federally-funded
roads and canals? Who supported this proposal the most?
5. Why did the Democratic-Republicans think that Henry Clay’s American System was
6. What was the Era of Good Feeling? Who was the USA’s most successful diplomat during
this time? Why?
7. What was the MAJOR cause of the Panic of 1819? What resulted from the panic and
subsequent depression ?
8. Why did Western farmers favor the “cheap money” of inflation?
9. What was the Tallmadge Amendment? In the Missouri Compromise, what was the
significance of the 36-30 line?
10. Why did the Missouri Compromise heighten sectionalism? What did the South fear
11. What did John Marshall think about a) Hamiltonian political philosophy? B)
interpretation of the Constitution? C) judicial review?
12. What did the Supreme Court’s rulings attempt to limit in McCulloch v. Maryland, Cohens
v. Virginia, and Gibbons v. Ogden? In which case did Marshall say “the power to tax
involves the power to destroy”? What was protected by the rulings in Fletcher v Peck
and Dartmouth College v. Woodward?
13. What did the USA’s treaty with Great Britain promise about certain western territory?
What was the Russo-American Treaty of 1824?
14. Andrew Jackson’s military exploits were instrumental in helping the USA acquire what
territory? Why did Spain eventually sell it the to the USA?
15. Why did the USA issue the Monroe Doctrine in 1823? What two principles did it
16. What was the reaction of Latin-American nations to the Monroe Doctrine? Could the
USA really enforce it
17. Why was the Monroe Doctrine considered a further expression of deepening US
isolation from world affairs?