Digital Visual Interface
What is DVI:
• Digital Visual Interface
• Supports digital and analog in a single connector
• The purpose is to provide an industry specification for high-
speed digital interfaces between a PC and a display device that
is display technology independent
• The end user will be able to simply plug the display monitor to
the computer using the DVI connector system regardless of
• The Digital Display Working Group (DDWG) “Promoters” are
Intel, Compaq, Fujitsu, HP, IBM, NEC and Silicon Image, and
are the creators of the DVI spec
• The Promoters intend to make avail
• Next Generation High-Resolution Video
– Set-Top Boxes
– High-End TV/Monitors
– Video Graphics Applications
– Personal Computers
– Retail Business Equipment
Features & Benefits:
• Meets the requirements of all facets of the PC industry, allowing
the adoption of a single monitor interface specification
• Bridges the transition from analog to digital video display
• Supports analog and digital interfaces which allow the end user
to connect the display with the DVI connector equipment
regardless of display technology
• Plug and play connectivity for ease of use
• Serial digital data transmission for reduced EMI and reduced
• Dielectric properties control ensure no inter-pair skew issues
Trends & Market Drivers:
• High resolution graphics
• DVI will replace standard VGA Connector as
digital monitor prices decline
The Tyco Advantage:
• Tyco has DDWG Promoters Group
– Group promoters are Intel, IBM, HP, NEC, Compaq,
Fujitsu and Silicon Images, Inc.
• Utilize Global Sourcing and Manufacturing
Capabilities to provide World Class Service
• Use Six Sigma Techniques to Insure
• Dry Circuit Resistance: 20 m max. initial, 10 m max. change from initial
• Shell Resistance: 50 m max. initial, 50 m max. change from initial
• Insulation Resistance: 1 G min.
• Dielectric Withstanding Voltage: 500 VDC
• Applied Voltage Rating: 40 VAC
• TMDS Signal Time Domain Impedance:
• TMDS Signal Time Domain Crosstalk (FEXT): 5% max.
• TMDS Signal Rise Time Degradation: 160 pS max.
• Analog RGB Coaxial Signals Time Domain Impedence: 75 ± 10%
• Analog RGB Coaxial Signals Time Domain Crosstalk (FEXT): 3% max.
• Analog RGM Coaxial Signals Rise Time Degradation: 140 pS
• Mating Force: 10.0 lbs [4.5 kg] max.
• Unmating Force: 8.8 lbs. [4.0 kg] max., 2.2 lbs [1.0 kg] min.
• Durability: 100 cycles
• PCB Insertion Force: 10.0 lbs [4.5 kg] max.
• Threaded Insert Torque: 5.0 in-lbs. [0.57 N-m] min.
• Housing/Spacer: Thermoplastic, UL 94V-0 Rated, Color-White
• Contacts: Phosphor Bronze, Duplex Plate, Gold in Mating Area,
Tin-Lead on Solder-Tails, both over Nickel Underplate
• Shell: Steel, Nickel Plated
• Boardlock (Hook): Brass, Tin-Lead over Nickel Underplate
• DVI Cable Assembly Product Information Flyer –
• DVI PCB Receptacles Information Flyer –
• Product Specification: 108-1941
• Qualification Test Report: 501-512
DVI Cable Assembly
DVI Cable Assembly