"UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH - DOC 4"
UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH COLLEGE OF MEDICINE AND VETERINARY MEDICINE BVM&S CURRICULUM EXECUTIVE Meeting of the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine BVM&S Curriculum Executive held at 14:00hrs on Mon 28th June 2010 Room 107 at Easter Bush Veterinary Centre. MINUTES Present: Dr Claire Phillips (Convenor), Mrs Kay Aitchison, Dr Catriona Bell, Mrs Fiona Brown, Mr George Collins, Prof Rod Else, Prof Danielle Gunn-Moore, Dr Neil Hudson, Dr Simone Meddle, Dr Jo-Anne Murray, Prof Graham Pettigrew, Dr Kirstie Pickles, Ms Rachel Whittington The Chair thanked everyone for attending and introduced George Collins; in attendance as a representative of LTS. Michael Begg, official representative, has proposed Jo Spiller as the formal representative for LTS in future. Agenda points 14 and 16 to be considered following Matters Arising. 1. Apologies Mr Ronnie Soutar, Dr Tudor Jones, Prof Brendan Corcoran Ronnie Soutar no longer feels it is appropriate for him to attend Curriculum Executive Meetings; the new Director of Academic Operations will be approached once in post to act as the representative. CP and DGM to ensure information is disseminated where required. 2. Minutes from 28th April 2010 and 17th May 2010 RWE: points 15 and 21 to change from “No report”, to “Nothing to report”. GWP: point 18 be clarified; in EEVeC results uploader; “A graph will appear when there is a ‘Final Mark’ column present”. FB: library report changefrom “no more books” to “no books”. CP: minutes of last meeting to be changed from 2nd December to 24th February. The minutes were approved with these changes. 3. Matters Arising: Item 7 – Lecture Capture DGM discussed lecture capture at Hospital Management meeting. It was felt that recording audio of lectures and making available would be suitable. Information Services can organise audio recording. If organised through the university costs are expected to be low or free. ACTION: CP to check price and details. Item 9 - Graduation prizes David Rider is investigating the formal route to change the allocation of two awards – Sheila Elizabeth Logsdon and William Mawlum Ogilvie Prizes. Item 14 – Payment of Honorary Fellows It was confirmed that there is no facility for paying Honorary Fellows for minor teaching roles. Honorary Fellows are expected to do some teaching as part of their position. Honorariums can be set up in advance of teaching on a case by case basis. GWP and DGM asked for it to be recorded that they disagreed with this decision due to the disparity between Veterinary Medicine and Medicine. For Approval: 4. Practical Class Attendance (Paper 100) The first section of this paper has been re-written to ensure it is clear. Course books can still list the requirement of 75% practical attendance. Document was approved by the Committee to go to CUGSC. 5. Absence from Class (formerly item sickness document – Paper 101) The document has been re-written to make it clearer. Self-certification has been removed. The document will be uploaded to EEVeC for students and staff, linked under “My Profile” for Directors of Studies, and linked from the Front Page. Document was approved by the Committee 6. AB3 Assessment Changes (Paper 102) GWP outlined the suggested changes: Essay paper divided into two papers of 2 hours each – each examining 4 different sections of the course. Spot Paper – it was felt that the Spot paper does not work well as it combines Spot and Interpretation Questions which are different in style. It was proposed that the exam be split into a Spot exam and an Interpretation exam. It was unclear whether the changes to the groupings of sections to be examined in essay papers had been agreed by the teaching team at their Course Review. Approval was therefore postponed. ACTION: GWP to return to teaching team to discuss. The meeting confirmed the Chair could approve the proposed changes on their behalf as Convenors Business if the teaching team is happy with the changes. 7. End of course evaluations (Paper 103) Opinion of individual lecturers regarding dissemination of individual negative feedback to all members teaching team 50:50. Meeting approved paper detailing editing and dissemination of feedback. Individual negative feedback removed from questionnaires before available to entire teaching team. Individual negative feedback to individual and their line manager. It is the Course Organiser’s responsibility to determine what information should be removed, not the Year Administrator’s. The Board decided the new version was a pragmatic solution for the legal requirements of the university that negative individual feedback should not be disseminated to the teaching team. Edit: Composition of the End of Course Questionnaire, change point 4 to; “End of course questionnaires should be made available for students to complete via EEVeC” ACTION: GWP Access to the “View” section of the EEVeC Questionnaire tool to be limited to the Course Organiser and Year Administrator for each course. The document was passed by a majority with some abstentions and one objection. 8. Lecture Notes (Paper 104) Provision of lecture handouts was discussed at the last meeting and agreed, though not approved. CP discussed with Head of School and School Administrator and suggest new students (1st Year and GEP) – annual charge of £35 for notes this year. To include 2nd year next year etc. GEP students share AHWAFS classes with 2nd year, however It was decided that as the majority of classes are separate, this should not be an issue. If a student loses their booklet, they would have to print it from EEVeC, spare copies would not be made available. The new intake of GEP and 1st Year students have been made aware they will have to buy printed notes, they have not yet been told the price. It was proposed students be informed the charge covers no more than half cost of providing printed notes. Students currently on course will not have to pay. Practical handouts will be provided to students at no extra cost –where possible, notes be bound in booklets (Course Organiser to organise) Practical handouts must be limited to practical work – not covering additional material for lectures beyond 4 (-6) sides. ACTION: CP to edit Paper 104 – students will be required to buy notes every year. The document was passed by a majority with the changes. For Discussion 9. Review of remits (Paper 105) Sections highlighted are edited or added since the last time remits were discussed. The Remit for Year Administrators is currently under development. Changes to tabled paper Course Organiser: Yearly updating of course handbook – add “and post example questions and outline answers on EEVeC” Lecture material - include “2 sides for diagrams where necessary”. “Obtain Examination questions from section organisers” to be removed from the CO remit and replaced with “Assist Exam Board Chair to generate appropriate examination paper (both first sit and resit)”. Add to remit – ensure students aware of assessment for the course – at the start of the course and pre-examination - ideally exam board chair should be present. Add to remit – Timetable post assessment review where possible. Year Director “Check the translation of the timetable into excel and resulting content in EEVeC” was queried by several members of the committee – this is currently done by Year Administrators. To be removed from remit. Exam Board Chair Point 2 – “Obtain exam questions from course teaching team and convene a meeting to discuss .....examination board.” “Set outline dates for meetings of the Board of Examiners at least two years in advance”. This was confirmed to be University policy. Weeks to be set once term and exam dates are known. EEVeC – It was queried who’s responsibility it is to ensure EEVeC pages are up to date with the correct files loaded: Course Organiser to ensure Course book contains the correct information. Year Administrators to ensure EEVeC nodes match the information in the course book, if not, contact GWP to change. GWP to correct layout of nodes where required. Individual lecturers have responsibility for their own materials on EEVeC – they should ensure all uploaded material includes the lecture number and year in the title. ACTION: CP to edit Remits and upload to EEVeC. 10. Exam Board Process (Paper 106) A model Exam Board Agenda from a previous Curriculum Executive Meeting (2008). was agreed but never approved. An approved agenda format would ensure same format is used across all courses. It was agreed that “All DoSs for that year will be invited. Any person involved in teaching or assessment of the work under consideration should be invited to attend).” University Assessment Regulations are currently under consideration. Exam numbers must be used – NOT matriculation numbers. EUCLID will generate exam numbers not linked to matriculation numbers. Anonymity – The meeting agreed that agenda points 5 and 6 should be switched so anonymity removed prior to consideration of results. The meeting approved the model exam board agenda ACTION: Guidelines to be uploaded to QA section of EEVeC, and to the Wiki. Also to be included in the staff handbook and disseminated to Exam Chairs. For Information/Standing Items 11. Easter Bush Student Counselling KP gave an update on the EB student counselling service – service has funding until December; plan to get feedback from students and staff via a questionnaire. It is hoped that it will be possible to secure funding to extend the service beyond December. Most weeks a couple of students attend, with greater usage around exams. RWE has discussed the situation with Richard Mellanby and RWE requested School funding to continue the service; a decision has not been made. DGM suggested the counselling service be informed of exam dates as soon as known. 12. Library Report The library is currently buying Vetmed research – CABI resources with Clinical information as a 1 year trial. RVC have it and it is well used by their students. The library has done a report on eServices to determine cost per download of journals. Due to high rates of download, MedVet ~ 2p per download. Cost per use of CABI abstracts is ~ 26p per use. 13. Admissions Report Currently 85 SFC applicants are Firm, 57 are Conditional Firm; target is 75. Offers given for Full Fee applicants are similar to last year – if conversion rate is similar, would expect same number of entrants as for 2009/10. RE queried whether there was any change regarding applicant Health Issues. It was confirmed that the university is not allowed to request information from applicants regarding health issues/disabilities, however if students volunteer information, this can be followed up. The law is currently under discussion, any changes will be disseminated. DGM confirmed that students are given information on “Fitness to practice” in their initial information packs. American Visas – discussions have been held regarding changes to US loans and affect on issue of Visas. Based on contact with applicants, it is hoped there won’t be major difficulties involved. 14. EEVeC Coordinators Report: A tool has been developed by Sarah Sullivan (4th Year Student) and added to EEVeC. The tool shows student essays from several modules and shows the markers’ feedback and comments regarding poor, fair and good answers. The committee felt the tool was a good opportunity to address students concerns regarding understanding feedback. It was suggested that staff could help expand the tool to other modules. Pre-Year1 and Pre-GEP Pages – These pages have been produced by Admissions to give incoming students information they need. It was suggested that a link to the textbook review tool would be useful. EEVeC Student Results – It was requested Student’s results files should indicate what the marks are out of. It was noted that this is already done in most cases, if this has not been done, please contact the relevant Year Administrator to edit the headings. 15. Clinical Skills Committee Report CB confirmed that various projects are ongoing; EMS; Virtual Clinical Pathology lab is the priority. 16. LTS Report Students can sign up for the Intercalated degrees – now in place. Textbook reviewing tool awaiting feedback – allows lecturers and students to give feedback on textbooks; potential for enabling students to sell textbooks. FB asked for the review tool to link to library catalogue – would require the student/staff member add catalogue details. Exotics Sign-up Facility is in use via a link on EEVeC – unknown whether all students or only GEP and 2nd year can access it. EMS – Lisa and Antonia have considered the new EEVeC EMS tool. Pre-Clinical and Clinical will not be separate. The tool is expected to be ready for use for September 2011. Student view to enable staff to see how students see EEVeC – this is being considered but will be difficult to implement; not currently a major priority. Timetable notification system – when editing the timetable on EEVeC, it gives the option to automatically send notification to students via EEVeC. It was queried whether it would be possible to set up an automatic email to teaching staff affected. This should be possible. 17. BVM&S Student Support and Advisory Group RWE confirmed there were not any Red Flags currently; cases should be brought forward by colleagues if necessary. RWE is revising the Advisory document for DoSs – to be uploaded to EEVeC. Positive feedback was received regarding the “Caring DoS” sessions – it may be possible to have a session at EBVC if there is interest. Following TPR, a DoS forum has been suggested for both new and experienced. The forum will be run twice, on the afternoons of 1st and 15th September. It is hoped that the Disability and Counselling offices will send representatives. This will encourage understanding of the situation on both sides. 18. Report from University Committees/Educational Meetings Nothing further since the last Curriculum Executive meeting in May. 20. AOCB ELIR – Enhancement Led Institutional Review - October 28th 2011? Some staff may be asked for information for the ELIR. Tudor Jones is the school ELIR coordinator. Jeremy Bradshaw is the College ELIR coordinator. The ELIR will be in two stages: The external team will visit to look at the school, two weeks later the team may return to meet with individuals or groups. The QAA website has further information. Graduate Entry Programme EMS DGM – GEP EMS provision was discussed at the Section Heads meeting. RCVS requires EMS to permit admission to the RCVS, US veterinary degrees and AVMA do not require EMS. It was queried whether it would be suitable to allow some GEP students to do our BVM&S but WITHOUT admission to RCVS. This would produce two tiers of graduates. Comment from the meeting was that students have elected to come to Edinburgh to do a British qualification, including EMS, they are aware of the costs involved. Initial response of the meeting was that this should not be taken further at this time. 20. Date of Next Meeting Week beginning 23rd August – Susan will Chair the meeting ACTION: RH to organise Doodle poll for availability