National Programme for Prisoner Healthcare by 8h5Eu4

VIEWS: 1 PAGES: 7

									                      National Programme for Prisoner Healthcare

                         Executive Health Board Leads Meeting

             Friday 16 September 2011, 10:00, Scottish Health Service Centre


Present:

Chair – Linda Dorward

Health Boards:

NHS Ayrshire & Arran               Linda Boyd
NHS Dumfries & Galloway            Angus Cameron (video conference)
NHS Forth Valley                   Iain Wallace
NHS Grampian                       Mark McEwan (video conference)
NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde        David Harley, for Anne Hawkins.
NHS Lanarkshire                    Jayne Miller
NHS Lothian                        Allister Short, for Alex McMahon
NHS Tayside                        Alex Killick

Programme Team:

Dennis Betts                       Project Manager
Philip Rhodes                      Administrator (minutes)

Apologies:

Nigel Small                        NHS Highland
Elaine Park                        Project Manager, Programme Team
Jessica McPherson                  Head of Primary Care Development, SG



ACTIONS:

Programme Team to publish minutes of previous meeting.

Programme Team to clarify purpose of meeting regarding the forensic network and
feedback to members regarding next steps.

Programme Team to look into facilitating a shared space for Health Boards to share
information in terms of local versions of the Memorandum of Understanding.

Programme Team to clarify whether Phoenix Futures have been given notice on the
contract.

Programme Team to write to Executive Health Board Leads who would in turn nominate an
operational lead to work with EACS to take forward the progression or otherwise of the
EACS contract.

                                            1
Programme Team to speak to SPS National Procurement colleagues to provide, where
reasonable and practicable, details of contracts for dental services at each establishment, to
include the current status of the contract and a copy of any correspondence issued to
conclude the contract.

Programme Team to ensure members are aware of the date of the first NPHN meeting,
once agreed.

Programme Team to request lists of staff and their indicative bandings localised for each
Health Board from SPS HR.

Programme Team to raise the issue of whether current prisoners will need to sign a GP
registration form with the Scottish Government Health Legal department and provide
feedback.


AGENDA:

1. Welcome & Apologies

   Linda Dorward welcomed everyone to the meeting and noted apologies as above. Linda
   advised that she was chairing in place of Jessica McPherson who was unable to attend.


2. Minutes/Actions from Previous Meeting

   The minutes from the previous meeting (NPBPH-11-HBE9-01) were issued in advance
   of the meeting. They were agreed as an accurate record of events and will now be
   published.

ACTION: Programme Team to publish minutes of previous meeting.

   In discussion, Allister Short raised a query regarding the meeting on 30 September 2011
   regarding forensic psychiatry. It was initially set up to look at a specific issue regarding
   The State Hospital, but this had now been resolved, and Allister wondered whether this
   might now be a chance to look at the wider issues around the forensic network, and that
   other Health Boards may wish to attend. Linda advised that the Programme Team would
   look into the purpose and function of the meeting and issue something as appropriate.

ACTION: Programme Team to clarify purpose of meeting regarding the forensic network
and feedback to members regarding next steps.


3. Programme Update:

   The Programme Team Workstream Update (NPBPH-11-HBE8-02) was issued in
   advance of the meeting for information and comments were invited.
                                              2
   The main discussion focussed on the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). It was
   noted that the National MOU would be completed and signed ahead of the transfer, with
   the Programme Team currently updating some of the information in the annexes.

   This led to a discussion about local MOUs, and it was agreed that it would be useful for
   members to shared space in order to enable the sharing of information with other Health
   Board colleagues.

ACTION: Programme Team to look into facilitating a shared space for Health Boards to
share information in terms of local versions of the Memorandum of Understanding.

   There was also a discussion regarding the Contracts section of the Workstream Update,
   particularly around the section on the RPA Contract. It was confirmed that SPS will
   continue to manage the RPA contract until its expiry date, at which time it will be
   considered in terms of value for money.

   In terms of contracts generally, it was advised that National Services Scotland National
   Procurement (NSS NP) would be managing the EACS and Pharmacy Contracts. The
   national workstream had now closed, but it was stated that the team transferring to
   Healthcare Improvement Scotland may have some involvement in dealing with this work
   going forward.

   There was a discussion regarding the Phoenix Futures contract. It is continuing until
   July 2012, though some Health Boards have suggested that they may wish to extend this
   further. It was advised that an operational team consisting of SPS, HB’s Phoenix
   Futures and NSS NP will look at options for this going forward, this was suggested a
   priority action. Health Boards leads agreed with this suggestion and would provide
   contact details for operational leads. It was agreed to clarify whether Phoenix have been
   given notice on this contract, which the Programme Team will facilitate.

ACTION: Programme Team to clarify whether Phoenix Futures have been given notice on
the contract.

ACTION: Programme Team to write to Executive Health Board Leads who would in turn
nominate an operational lead to work with EACS to take forward the progression or
otherwise of the EACS contract.

   There was a discussion regarding the situation with dentists in Grampian – the dentist
   there has not been advised of future arrangements. It was advised that SPS have
   written to dentists to advise them of arrangements post-transfer – colleagues from
   Tayside, Lothian and Greater Glasgow & Clyde confirmed they were aware that these
   letters had been sent in their areas. There have been some issues regarding implied
   contracts, where nothing is in writing, which will need clarity. It was advised that these
   local contracts had been terminated in some areas, and that SPS Finance Managers in
   each establishment should have been in touch with those affected. There was a feeling
   among members that Health Boards had been left with the liability in terms of dentists
                                              3
   and that there seemed to be inconsistency in terms of who had been contacted etc. It
   was suggested that NHS colleagues would find it useful to be given a list from SPS
   Procurement colleagues highlighting a list of what the local contract is at each
   establishment, as well as the current status (i.e. whether a “goodbye” letter has been
   issued, whether TUPE applies etc). Health Boards require reassurance that SPS have
   written to all dentists and copies of the letters would also be required.

ACTION: Programme Team to speak to SPS National Procurement colleagues to provide,
where reasonable and practicable, details of contracts for dental services at each
establishment, to include the current status of the contract and a copy of any
correspondence issued to conclude the contract.


4. Health & Care Directorate Resource Transfer to Healthcare Improvement Scotland:

   Linda Dorward provided an update on the transfer of staff from SPS health & Care
   Directorate to Healthcare Improvement Scotland. Linda advised that a meeting took
   place on 31 August 2011, with representation from SPS, Health Boards and Scottish
   Government. A note of this meeting was tabled to members, along with an annex which
   was used to inform the meeting on the day. At this meeting, the group had been looking
   at function of the staff transferring. Linda advised that there had been agreement that a
   national network will be formed, called the National Prisoner Healthcare Network (NPHN)
   and will be facilitated by HIS.

   The key functions of the NPHN were agreed and prioritised in principle at the meeting. It
   was noted that HIS will provide secretariat support for this network. The network will
   include representatives from Healthcare Improvement Scotland, SPS, Health Boards,
   NHS National Services Scotland, Scottish Government, Community Justice Authorities,
   HMIP, Social Work and Social Care Inspectorate (SCWS), TUS, NHS Education for
   Scotland (NES) with additional representation being invited as required.

   In discussion, it was noted that there is a two year fixed-term review date, which will take
   place in July 2013. It was advised that the first meeting will be taking place ahead of
   transfer and members requested that a date be issued as soon as possible. It was also
   noted that a lot of the Health Board Leads for this area of work will be changing post
   transfer, and a request was made that each Health Board could bring an appropriate
   colleague along to the first meeting. Linda advised that there is a meeting with
   Healthcare Improvement Scotland on 19 September 2011, so a date for the first meeting
   should be available following this and will be shared as soon as possible.

ACTION: Programme Team to ensure members are aware of the date of the first NPHN
meeting, once agreed.

   In terms of the papers tabled, it was advised that the annex was not part of the final
   document and this would not be included in the final version when it is issued, though
   some of the information contained in the annexes will require to be embedded into main

                                              4
   paper. Linda advised that she would be able to finalise the paper following the meeting
   on Monday and this could then be issued wider, as appropriate.


5. Job Evaluation - Outcomes:

   Linda Dorward provided an update on the outcomes of the Job Evaluation/Agenda for
   Change process. The outcomes have been issued to Health Boards, and all SPS staff
   have also been advised of their indicative bandings.

   Some staff had expressed disappointment in the indicative bandings, but it was noted
   that there would be no detriment to transferring staff.

   Alex Killick advised that he will be taking this information to the HR Directors Meeting.
   Alex advised that from a financial point of view, Directors of Finance will be happy with
   this information, as it was as evidenced via the indicative costings shared with HR
   Directors in February 2011. It was noted however staff would, in the main, be no better
   off, so there may be a need to manage staff morale where necessary. Alex also advised
   that each Health Board area will need to ‘sense check’ the outcomes. He advised that
   Janis Millar is drawing up a review protocol. Alex also advised that he is hoping that HR
   Directors will sign up to an agreed protocol in terms of when to offer Agenda for Change
   terms and conditions, as well as the review process. It was important that should any
   bandings change, the national group of HRDs will need to be sighted on this.

   It was agreed that it would be useful for Health Boards to have a list of staff with their
   indicative bandings for each of their establishments. It was agreed to request this
   information from SPS HR.

ACTION: Programme Team to request lists of staff and their indicative bandings localised
for each Health Board from SPS HR.


6. Health Board Feedback on Information Governance issues with single instance of
   InPS Vision:

   A letter from Iain Wallace, dated 9 September 2011 was issued to members in advance
   of the meeting.

   There was a discussion regarding the letter which advised that there has been an
   agreement that a single instance of Vision covering all prison health centres will be used,
   hosted by NHS Grampian. The letter requests that Health Board Leads speak to their
   Caldicott Guardians and IT leads to ensure that they are sighted on the fact that role
   based access is not available with Vision, and therefore all healthcare records can be
   accessed by users logged into this single instance of Vision regardless of which prison
   they deliver healthcare in. It was advised that a regular audit of user access will be
   possible to be undertaken but would have to be locally analysed in each Health Board.

                                               5
   Also discussed was the fact that Fair Warning is being explored in terms of how it might
   be applied to the system.

   It was agreed that all Health Board colleagues would provide feedback to Iain Wallace
   and Dennis Betts.

   It was noted that as long as an auditable system is in place, then there shouldn’t be too
   many issues, so long as staff are aware of their responsibilities in terms of data
   management, which are possibly very similar to what they currently work to in SPS.

   Dennis Betts also advised members that cabling into prison establishments was now
   being NHS led, as for SPS to lead on this area of work would have required a
   procurement exercise which would have led to delays. It was noted that there will be a
   budget revision for the cabling costs, and that this would need to be proven ahead of
   payment.


7. Manual Healthcare Records:

   Allister Short was invited to discuss the issue of manual healthcare records. Allister
   advised that this was an issue that had been raised at the most recent meeting of the
   Lothian LIG Meeting. There were questions regarding what happens with paper records
   for the first six months, and what happens once the IT system is in, which will be in April
   2012. It was agreed that guidance, clarity and consistency would be required, as
   retention policies were different across NHS and SPS.

   Following a lengthy discussion, it was agreed that there needs to be a consistent
   approach in how NHS staff deal with healthcare records and that a flowchart or a
   process map would be useful for staff to follow. It was agreed that this should be added
   to the remit of the group of staff transferring to HIS, and made explicit in the
   Workplan/Outcomes/Agreement paper for this group.

   The consensus among members was that as of 1 November 2011, it would be business
   as usual and the blue folder would be continued to be used. There would some sort of
   demarcation included in the healthcare record and that the HIS Network would look at
   how it evolves post transfer in the run up to the IT systems being implemented.

   Following this was a discussion about the registration form. The Short-Life working-
   Group looking at Information Sharing had agreed that a registration form will need to be
   completed each time a prisoner moves from one establishment to another, which mirrors
   what happens in the community. A question was raised as to whether current prisoners
   will need to sign a form or whether it is a de facto acceptance that all current prisoners
   have effectively signed one, seeing as this is a legislative change. If all current prisoners
   do need to sign a form, it was agreed that this would have to be a staged process.




                                               6
ACTION: Programme Team to raise the issue of whether current prisoners will need to sign
a GP registration form with the Scottish Government Health Legal department and provide
feedback.

8. AOCB:

   A number of issues were raised as follows:

   a) Complaints: Allister Short raised the issue of complaints. He advised that he had
   spoken to Sandra Falconer (Scottish Government Policy Manager for NHS Complaints
   Procedure) regarding the separation of complaints and feedback/concerns, the latter of
   which would be dealt with in the main verbally. It was noted that Scottish Government
   will be issuing this information shortly, and this is likely to include a pathway to follow.

   b) Phoenix Futures: Linda Dorward provided some information regarding the Phoenix
   Futures contract, in the light of queries from a number of health Boards on the matter.
   Linda advised that she has met with NSS National Procurement to discuss the
   mechanics of managing the contract. It will be business as usual until July 2012, but
   consideration is required shortly in terms of next steps. It has been proposed that
   operational leads dealing with contracts get together and meet with NSS NP and SPS to
   discuss the way forward as soon as possible. Some Health Boards have indicated they
   may wish to extend the contract past July 2012, while others will want to make
   alternative arrangements. The purpose of the meeting would be to gather collective
   views, to consider any TUPE issues which may arise.

   It was noted that National Services Scotland will need to issue a notice of termination
   and that NSS National Procurement will facilitate a meting to discuss this contract going
   forward.


9. Close:

   It was noted that this was the last meeting of the Executive Group of Health Board
   Leads, though there is a full Health Board Leads Meeting on 14 October 2011.

   Linda Dorward thanked all members for their participation.




                                               7

								
To top