1. According to the Lowther contract, what were Hurd’s expectations of his servant once he
reached the colony?
2. Were there limitations of any kind placed on the master in this contract?
3. What was Hurd expected to provide according to the contract?
4. Compare the Frethorne letter to the Lowther contract. Frethorne may have had a similar
contract. Do you think his expectations were fulfilled? Why or why not? BE SPECIFIC.
5. According to Frethorne, he was forbidden to enter the forests in order to hunt for game that
might supplement his diet. Why do you think this was forbidden?
6. Based on Frethorne’s letter, compare indentured servitude to slavery.
7. How reliable is Frethorne’s letter as a source based on its audience and purpose?