Name ______________________________________ Date _______________ Period ______
Stoichiometry Practice Problems
Complete the following problems, being sure to show all work NEATLY on a separate sheet of paper.
PART A: MOLE TO MOLE
1. How many moles of lithium chloride will be formed by the reaction of chlorine with 0.046 mol of lithium
bromide in the following reaction?
2LiBr(aq) + Cl2(g) 2LiCl (aq) + Br2(l)
2. Aluminum will react with sulfuric acid in the following reaction.
2Al(s) + 3H2SO4(aq) Al2(SO4)3(aq) + 3H2(g)
a. How many moles of H2SO4 will react with 18 mol of Al?
3. Propane burns in excess oxygen according to the following reaction.
C3H8 + 5O2 3CO2 + 4H2O
a. How many moles of each of CO2 and H2O are formed from 3.85 mol of propane?
4. How many moles of ammonium sulfate can be made from the reaction of 30.0 mol of NH3 with H2SO4
according to the following equation:
2NH3 + H2SO4 (NH4)2SO4
5. Butane, C4H10, burns with the oxygen in air to give carbon dioxide and water.
2C4H10(g) + 13O2(g) 8CO2(g) + 10H2O(g)
a. What is the amount (in moles) of carbon dioxide produced from 0.15 mol C4H10?
b. How many moles of water are produced from 4 mol C4H10?
6. Iron in form of fine wire burns in oxygen to form iron (III) oxide.
4Fe(s) + 3 O2(g) 2Fe2O3(s)
a. How many moles of O2 are needed to produce 5.21 mol Fe2O3?
PART B: MOLE TO MASS
7. Carborundum, SiC, is a hard substance made by combining silicon dioxide with coke, C, as follows:
SiO2(s) + 3C(s) SiC(s) + 2CO(g)
a. What mass in grams of SiC is formed from the complete reaction of 2.00 mol of carbon?
8. Zinc metal can be obtained from zinc oxide, ZnO, by reacting the oxide with the element carbon. The
products of the reaction are Zn and CO2. What mass in grams of zinc oxide is needed to react
completely with 5.00 mol of carbon?
9. Coal can be converted to methane gas by a process called coal gasification. The equation for the
reaction is the following:
2C(s) + 2H2O(l) CH4(g) + CO2(g)
a. What mass in grams of carbon is required to react with water to form 1.00 mol CH4?
10. Sulfur dioxide, SO2, is an unwelcome result of burning soft coal in power plants. Some of the SO2
ends up as sulfuric acid in acid precipitation. The net reaction is as follows.
2SO2(g) + O2(g) +2H2O(l) 2H2SO4(l)
a. What mass in grams of SO2 is needed to react with 6.00 mol of O2?
11. When carbon dioxide and water are combined in plants, glucose and oxygen gas are produced.
What mass of glucose, C6H12O6, can be produced from a photosynthesis reaction that occurs using 10
12. One reaction that produces hydrogen gas can be represented by the following unbalanced
Mg(s) + HCl(aq) MgCl2(aq) + H2(g)
a. What mass of HCl is consumed by the reaction of 2.50 mol of magnesium?
b. What mass of each product is produced in part (a)?
PART C: MASS TO MOLE
13. Acetylene gas (C2H2) is produced as a result of the following reaction:
CaC2(s) + 2H2O(l) C2H2(g) + Ca(OH)2(aq)
a. If 32.0 g of CaC2 are consumed in this reaction, how many moles of H2O are needed?
b. How many moles of each product would be formed?
14. Iron is generally produced from iron ore through the following unbalanced reaction in a blast
Fe2O3(s) + CO(g) Fe(s) + CO2(g)
a. If 4.00 kg of Fe2O3 are available to react, how many moles of CO are needed?
b. How many moles of each product are formed?
15. In 1938, the use of NaOH was suggested as a means of removing carbon dioxide from the cabin
of spacecraft according to the following unbalanced reaction: NaOH + CO2 Na2CO3 + H2O. If
the average human body discharges 925.0 g of CO2 per day, how many moles of NaOH are needed
each day for each person in the spacecraft?
16. In a soda-acid fire extinguisher, concentrated sulfuric acid reacts with sodium bicarbonate to
produce carbon dioxide, sodium sulfate, and water. How many moles of sodium bicarbonate would be
needed to react with 150.0 g of sulfuric acid?
17. Copper reacts with silver nitrate through single replacement. If 2.25 g of silver are produced from
the reaction, how many moles of copper (II) nitrate are also produced?
18. Sodium carbonate reacts with nitric acid according to the following equation:
Na2CO3(s) + 2HNO3(aq) 2NaNO3(aq) + CO2(g) + H2O(l)
a. How many moles of Na2CO3 are required to produce 100.0g of NaNO3?
b. If 7.50 g of Na2CO3 reacts, how many moles of CO2 are produced?
PART D: MASS TO MASS
19. Laughing gas (nitrous oxide, N2O) is sometimes used as an anesthetic in dentistry. It is produced
when ammonium nitrate is decomposed according to the following reaction.
NH4NO3 N2O + 2H2O
a. How many grams of NH4NO3 are required to produce 33.0 g of N2O?
b. How many grams of water are produced in this reaction?
20. When copper metal is added to silver nitrate in solution, silver metal and copper (II) nitrate are
produced. What mass of silver is produced from 100. g of Cu?
21. What mass of aluminum is produced by the decomposition of 5.0 kg of Al2O3 into its component
22. Methanol, CH3OH, is an important industrial compound that is produced from the following
CO(g) + H2(g) CH3OH(g)
23. Nitrogen combines with oxygen in the atmosphere during lightning flashes to form nitrogen
monoxide, which then reacts further with oxygen to produce nitrogen dioxide.
a. What mass of NO2 is formed when NO reacts with 384 g of O2?
b. How many grams of NO are required to react with this amount of O2?
24. Calculate the mass of silver bromide produced from 22.5 g of silver nitrate in the following
2AgNO3(aq) + MgBr2(aq) 2AgBr(s) + Mg(NO3)2(aq)