City of Evansville Plan Commission
Monday, August 3, 2009, 6:00 p.m.
City Hall (Third Floor), 31 S. Madison Street, Evansville, WI
1. Call to Order. The meeting was called to order at 6:02 p.m. by Chair Mayor Sandy Decker.
2. Roll Call. Members Present: Mason Braunschweig, Jim Brooks Sandy Decker, Carol Endres, John
Gishnock, Bill Hammann and Diane Roberts. Others Present: City Administrator Dan Wietecha, City
Clerk Judy Walton, City Planner John Stockham and Dave Mueller of LiteWire.
3. Approval of agenda. Braunschweig made a motion, seconded by Roberts to approve the
agenda as printed. Motion approved unanimously.
4. Approval of minutes.
A. Braunschweig made a motion, seconded by Roberts to waive the reading of the minutes
from the July 6, 2009 regular meeting and approve them as printed. Motion approved
5. Citizen appearances other than agenda items listed. None
6. Public Hearing – Zoning Ordinance Amendment Re: Communication Towers.
Stockham explained that this proposed ordinance change would broaden the range of districts
that would allow communication towers. The Commission clarified the sections of the code
proposed for revision. Decker opened the public hearing at 6:08 p.m. Dave Mueller of
LiteWire stressed the importance of a tower to his business. Decker closed the public
hearing at 6:11 p.m.
7. Action items.
A. Zoning Ordinance Amendment Re: Communication Towers. Hammann and
Gishnock commented on the amendments recommended by the Unified Land
Development Code Advisory Committee. Braunschweig made a motion, seconded by
Roberts to recommend to Common Council approval of Sections 130-503, 130-764, 130-
794, 130-824, 130-854, and 130-874 City of Evansville Municipal Code of Ordinances to
allow communication towers as conditional use accessory uses in the B-1Local Business
District, B-2 Central Business District, B-3 Community Business District, B-4 Regional
Business District, and B-5 Special Use Business District. If unused for a period of
twenty-four (24) months communication towers, pads, and any associated equipment
must be removed by the property owner. Motion approved unanimously.
B. Conditional Use Permit – LiteWire Internet Services, Inc. Communication Tower.
Stockham reviewed his staff report for the conditional use permit for 565 E Main Street.
Decker opened the public hearing at 6:25 p.m. Dave Mueller of LiteWire explained the
difficulty he had finding a building for his business, adding that this location backs up to
industrial property. He repeated the importance of the communication tower to his
Plan Commission Meeting August 3, 2009 Page 1
business. Decker closed the public hearing at 6:27 p.m. Braunschweig made a motion,
seconded by Roberts to approve a Conditional Use Permit for a communication tower to
be installed by LiteWire Internet Service at 565 E Main Street subject to the conditions as
contained in the staff report. Motion approved unanimously.
8. Report on Other Permitting Activity by City Planner. Stockham stated he received an
inquiry on a pizza establishment and an inquiry on fencing at Inn Care.
9. Report of the Unified Land Development Code Committee. Stockham stated the
committee does not intend to rewrite all land use ordinances but are reviewing select ones to
10. Report of the Evansville Historic Preservation Commission. None
11. Report of the Evansville-Union Implementation Committee. Hammann stated the map
overlays are done with inconsistencies identified.
12. Update on Common Council actions relating to Plan Commission recommendations.
13. Update on Board of Appeals actions relating to zoning matters
14. Update on Rock County Smart Growth Plan. Decker stated the last meeting was July 7th
and the plan goes on to the County Board.
15. Enforcement. None
16. Special Meeting Reminder. Joint meeting of Evansville Plan Commission and City
Council, Union Plan Commission and Town Board, and Rock County Planning Staff on
Wednesday, August 12, 6:30 pm at Fire Hall. Decker added that no action will be taken at
17. Next regular meeting date. Tuesday, September 1, 2009
18. Motion to adjourn. Hammann made a motion, seconded by Braunschweig to adjourn at
6:42 p.m. Motion approved unanimously.
Prepared by Judy Walton, City Clerk
The minutes are not official until approved by the Plan Commission at their next regular meeting.
Plan Commission Meeting August 3, 2009 Page 2