Make Me Feel Important!
How to Get Everything You Want Out of Life!
1) Make Yourself Feel Important
2) Make Your Leader Feel Important
3) Make Your Client (Member) Feel Important
4) Make Your Teammate Feel Important
5) Challenge you to grow your own future
Why Should I Listen to this Guy?
• 53 years old, Studying High Performance Success 37 years
• Multiple management/supervisory careers – Thousands employees
• National award employee recruiting/retention
• National award sales/marketing
• State/regional awards business & organizational leadership
• Ten years conference keynote/break out speaker
• Own Medical Fitness/Personal Training Practice
• Business consultant/Career Coach
• Masters Degree Wellness, Wellness book
• Suffered Serious Hair Loss
Why are you here?
What do you hope to
The Five Pillars of
• Purpose Pillar – What is your dream/cause beyond $$ ?
• People Pillar - Who will be your “dream team” to get there?
• Physical Power Pillar - How will you fortify yourself for the dream?
• Professional Prowess Pillar - What dream and team building
knowledge, attitudes and behaviors do you need to bravely lead?
• Passion/Perseverance Pillar – How will you maintain enthusiasm &
commitment in the face of adversity?
The Purpose Pillar –
“Draw the Dream”
• The first essential Business skill - skill of imagination
• “Drawing the Dream” – Describe the Business/Career of your dreams
• “Yea right sure, heard it all before”
• Grass is greener? Acres of Diamonds
• “Living” words with emotion and belief vs dead sentences disappoint
• “Cutting edge” psychological technique beyond “just get to work”
• Asking You Consider Writing Own “Bold Declaration Statement”
The Goal is NOT to
The Goal is to work better and easier
A leader is made more whole, strong and functional
by having a clear, defined and meaningful dream
Why census workers die early?
The Challenges of
Working and Living
Emotionally negative, distressed states
selectively produce rises in cortisol to accompany
the cardiovascular and catecholamine activation.
Therefore, cortisol may be specifically sensitive to
negative emotional states such as fear
Puts You in the Drivers Seat
“Emotionally positive, activating
challenges call forth increased
cardiovascular and catecholamine
responses without activating cortisol.
Gives YOU and the “Dream Team” a
Game plan to Follow
Someone needs to cast the vision
People resist following those who do not know
where they are going
To learn more……!
The People Pillar
Build Your Team
• Your Mighty Forces?
• Your Leaders
• Professional peers
Before you can lead well, you should consider following well
Ask Them the “Cartwheel” Question
Invite them to Give You Honest Critique
Thank them for their honesty
Take some sort of action on their coaching
Your Employees – Hire Smart or
Going to work is going to life
• The Secret is always a System!
• Could you franchise your hiring, training and retaining
“People get jacked up when their doing better”
What is the REAL Objective?
• “Find and/or keep good/great employees – do more with less?”
• Connect with them and do better– hire work for – reach them where
they live to “work with”
• Build authentic, sincere systems to do that
• Consider this objective – See your business as a talent and
• “If you ever leave here, you will leave better than you before arrived”
• “You can get everything you want out of life if……
Draw the Dream
The Start of the Training Program
Passionate, fun words and language – Truth versus fact
Research Worlds Best Practices – It CAN be done here!
Outline 1-6 most important tasks next five years
Priority task needs daily attention – Drip, Drip, Drip
Broadcast it to your team
What/who are you
• Can You Describe Your Ideal “Player” Without a Script?
• Is it Written Down Anywhere?
• Benefits everyone when expectations are clear
• Helps in acknowledging good performance
• Helps in correcting wayward performance
• Take 5-10 to Describe the Ideal Person for your team
Are they filled with life?
Do they “draw the dream?”
Do they say “unique”, velvet rope?
Sets up “Velvet Rope” Culture
Tell your core story/“Strong Dream”
Outline Vision for future plans
Outline “Expectations” of the ideal person
Pre-screen at the end
• How do you feel you could contribute?
• Tell me about one past example of a similar contribution
• Give me three references people I can call
• What are you doing now to prepare for mastery?
Few good questions to
“Sell us this pen”
Do you have any dreams for your life you would be
comfortable sharing with us?
Who is your hero and why?
What is the last book that you read and what did you
learn from it?
If you were hiring for this position, tell us the top four
things you would look for in the person you were
What can they get from you they don’t get “out there”?
• Orientation-First Day
• Team up with a winner
• Eye contact, name, smile, talk to, “grandma/pa rule”
• The Sign on everyone’s forehead
• Insist on CPR – Courteous, professional and respectable
• The “Boss” has a much bigger impact than the boss thinks
Killing Fields of
Find Their Cause - Forget About Your Mission Statement
Reach them where they live
Culture of Excellence, Meaning & Fun
Look REALLY, REALLY hard for their strengths
Executor- Relater- Influencer-Analytical
Separate Performance from Performer
Stupid is the germ of genius
How to get more great ideas from
“Your staff withholds 2/3 of what they are capable of contributing to your
educational community in the form of talents, skills, experience, information
and ideas. Apparently this is due to the fact that they don’t feel
“Mark Twain said that he could live contented for two months on one
compliment. Compliment generously, genuinely and specifically.
You are the driver, passengers (They see things we don’t)
Reward and implement and give credit where due
Connecting with Your Clients,
Co-workers and Coaches
• Give Advice
• Learn Something
• Understand Them
• Enjoy Them
The Four Emotions that move people?
FRISK Sets you free!
• Hire slowly, fire quickly
12 Rules for Bringing Out the Best in People
(Book by Alan Loy McGinnis, highly recommend)
1. Expect the Best from the people you lead.
2. Make a thorough study of the other person’s needs.
3. Establish high standards for excellence.
4. Create an environment where failure is not fatal.
5. If they are going anywhere near where you want to go, climb on
other people’s bandwagons.
6. Employ models to encourage success.
7. Recognize and applaud achievement.
8. Employ a mixture of positive and negative reinforcement.
9. Appeal sparingly to the competitive urge.
10. Place a premium on collaboration.
11. Build into the group an allowance for storms.
12. Take steps to keep your own motivation high.
Four Basic Functions in a Business
Operations – Delivering your product or service
Finance – Accounting, administration, MIS
People Development – Developing expertise
Marketing – (sales, advertising & research, service)
All functions matter – Nothing sold, nothing else matters!
How Do You
Increase Members and
the Products and
Services They Benefit
Basically only Two ways to do that
1- Fantastic product and service - Positioning
2- Ask everyone to buy it- Prospecting
Duplicable systems get better both daily
What Do Your Members/Clients Want?
• Greater control – predictable, pleasurable outcomes
• Biggest frustrations in your field?
• Visual – Emotional – Financial – Functional frustrations??
• Figure out where you best solve that - become the best
• Tell Everyone on the planet who could benefit from you
• Expose the frustration – Agitate it – Offer yourself solution
The Professional Prowess Pillar
Superior skill or ability
Superior strength, courage or daring in battle
• The team is only as strong as its leader
• Identify attitudes, knowledge & behaviors
• Visit the best, study the best
• Learn, practice, fortify things identified
• Repetition is the Mother of Mastery
• 4,000 things, 12 times or 12 things, 4,000 times???
• Child prodigy – Ten years, never miss a day
• Great Teams are coached by leaders constantly getting
better at leadership/coaching essential skills
• Before improve usually must improve way we think
• “Only the mediocre are always at their best”
• “Don’t wish it were easier, wish you were better…..
• So, what do you need to get better at?
What Makes A Great Team Leader?
The strengths of your mighty forces??
Your biggest pay off activities – your vital few
Five Minutes to Fortify
Communication skills $$$$$
The only thing we really have control of is what we think and
the words we use
Every word counts $$$
You might consider getting better with words
Read – Listen – Write – Speak – Sell/persuasive
How to Do It
“You will be the exact same person you are right now five
years from now except fro the people you meet and the
books that you read”….Charles “Tremendous” Jones
Identify the top 12 books or CD programs that will increase and improve
your knowledge, attitude, and skills towards building stronger dreams
and teams then invest in and pound them into your brain and heart,
one per month.
What About You?
Your Personal Productivity Plan?
• “Influencers of Thought”
• Your future, your responsibility
• Self-study system??
• How win friends, greatest salesman