St. Martin de Porres CYO Basketball
2012 - 2013
Dear Parents and Guardians:
Welcome to the 2012-2013 basketball season! We look forward to another eventful season, including the
● Several pre-season clinics and events, including clinics by Chuck Martin and Paul Lee (Marist); Brian
Giorgis (Marist): Al, Jenna and Julianne Viani, local high school coaches (skills required to make your middle
and high school teams): plus Marist men’s and women’s practices with tours of the renovated McCann Center,
including basketball offices and video rooms. I’m also working on a shooting clinic by a skilled professional.
● After two years of bus trips to UConn for a men’s practice with Hall of Fame Coach Jim Calhoun, this fall’s
bus trip will be to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, MA…..more details to
● Brooklyn Nets Event at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY: Our annual event with the Nets will be in their
new arena, possibly on Friday, November 23 against the LA Clippers (Chris Paul, Blake Griffin) with possibly
a smaller event against against the New York Knicks. This year, I will offer round-trip bus transportation given
limited parking around the arena. As in prior seasons, the kids will get to use the Nets’ home court for 2 to 3
hours for drills and games, man high-five lines for both teams and stand with the players for the national
● A seminar on non-playing careers in sports.....date TBD in the fall…..most likely at Marist College. The
intent is to get the kids 7th grade and above thinking about careers in general, identifying a career about which
they are passionate, the importance of great people skills, education requirements, career progression, work /
life balance, etc. However I would like to expose the kids to meaningful and enjoyable careers in the sports
industry, such as sports administration (athletic director and coaching), sports medicine (trainers, physical
therapists), media (journalists, television / radio commentators), technological positions (imaging, photography,
video), sales and marketing (tickets, strategy) and others. I'm planning to have a panel of athletic
directors, coaches and trainers from Marist, Vassar and AAU programs, sales and GM professionals from the
Brooklyn Nets, imaging director from Sports Illustrated, local journalists, television personalities and more. I
started organizing this last year, but had too much on my plate to finalize. This is sure to be an interesting and
● Expansion of boys’ high school league for grades 10 – 12 at Gold’s Gym: This season their will be two
sessions: the first from September 15 through November 17 and the second from December 1 to February 23,
with the break coinciding with the start of practices for the local high school teams. Sign-up for both session
and receive $15 off the price of the second session. Both sessions will include mandatory community service
components. Please note the start date for the first session is the day after our last registration. Please be at
Gold’s Gym by 8:30 AM on Saturday, 9/15.
● Our 2nd Annual Coach’s Kick-off Retreat in October or November….most likely on a Thursday evening
once again….last year’s program was well received and I look forward to another spiritual evening focused on
enhancing your relationship with God and sharing your faith with your teams. I’m also organizing a winter
retreat for the kids, which will involve spiritual talks, a basketball movie and much more.
● Our 5th annual tournament in late December / January with 72 teams and 126 games at Marist College,
Vassar College, The Culinary Institute of America, Our Lady of Lourdes High School, Oakwood Friends
School and St. Martin. The tourney also includes free t-shirts for the kids and a chance for us to donate some
profits to those in need. Parents of travel players are expected to help at least four hours during the tournament.
● Fees: the same as last year, except for the introduction of the discount on the second high school session
● Gold’s Gym for B5-6 and B7-9 intramural leagues and B7, B8 and G7-8 travel leagues: all games for
these leagues will be played at Gold’s Gym this year, which will provide regulation size courts versus cross
courts utilized at Casperkill or Todd Middle School in past years. Please note that we are offering this enhanced
court size with no associated fee increase.
● Playing Up: only 2nd grade boys and 3rd grade girls can play-up to B3-4 intramurals and G4-6 intramurals,
respectively. All other players must play at their grade level.
● Website: our website www.stmartindeporres-cyo.org continues to be an important source of information for
registration, clinics, contact information, our tournament and much more. Jennifer Kaufmann continues to do a
great job on our website!
● Pictures / Yearbook: please take pictures throughout the year and please send photos to
firstname.lastname@example.org throughout the season for inclusion in our yearbook. If you did not receive a yearbook
last year, there is a PDF of the yearbook on our website in the photo gallery. I also have some extra yearbooks
for those instructional participants who did not receive one last year
● Season-end Barbecues: these will be expanded to include the instructional league so that all kids receive
their yearbooks timely. These typically occur the last week of April or the first week in May.
● Attendance at St. Martin’s Religious Education Classes: any excessive, unexcused absences by CYO
participants from St. Martin’s religious education classes may result in removal from the CYO program until
attendance improves and work is made-up.
● Entrance to the St. Martin gym will be through the front of the school: please ensure that you close both
doors behind you after entering. Please do NOT leave them open!
Everyone associated with our program takes great pride in the quality of our program. We seek to continually
improve our program, so please direct any suggestions to me at 462-8790 or email@example.com.
St. Martin de Porres CYO Program