Council Shooting Sports Volunteer Requirements for Managing Ranges &
Shooting Sports Merit Badge Counselor Participation.
1. Boy Scout Shooting Sports Merit Badge Counselors (for Archery, Rifle & Shotgun) shall apply or renew a MB
Counselor Application every year in January.
2. Venturing Activities Counselors for Shooting Sports electives and/or events shall submit an application or
renew a Counselor Application every year in January.
3. Approval of these applications shall be reviewed by the Shooting Sports Committee and notification to MB
Counselors or Venturing Counselors will happen after approval.
4. Cub Scout Adult Volunteers, Boy Scout MB Counselors & Venturing Activities Counselors for electives, shall be
trained and certified in the specific Shooting sports area requested. Training will be accomplished by the
Shooting Sports Committee.
5. It is essential for Cub Scout Adult Shooting Sports Trained Volunteers , Boy Scout MB Counselors for Rifle,
Shotgun and Archery, and the Venturing Activities Counselors for Electives/Core Elements in Shooting Sports
to have a BSA Training Card (33767A) issued, and can be renewed each year in January (refer to #7 – Required
Participation). Shooting Sports Volunteers that are trained late in the year (Sept through December) would
expire in December of the following year.
6. All Shooting Sports Volunteers must follow all BSA National Standards, National Shooting Sports Manual,
IWC Policies &Procedures, Camp Barstow Range Safety Rules, Off-Site Ranges Procedures and the Shooting
Sports Director in Charge of the Event.
7. Required participation:
1. Must participate in 2 (two) or more Council Cub Scout Sponsored events in a calendar year or more, to
their BSA Training Card (33767A) Certification.
Ex. Family Camping Weekend, District Day Camps, Summer Camp Webelos Resident Camp & Cub Scout
Resident Camp, District Cuborees, Council Cub Partner and Pal, Council Haunted Forest and in any other
Council Cub Scouts Shooting Sports events as well.
Boy Scout & Venturing:
1. Must participate in 2 (two) Council Shooting Sports events in a calendar year or more, to maintain their BSA
Training Card (33767A) Certification.
Ex: Venturing Shooting Sports Weekend, Boy Scout Shooting Sports weekend, Camp Barstow Summer Camp
Shooting Sports Program and Council Camporee, and participate in any other Council Boy Scout Shooting
Sports Event or Boy Scout Troop weekend or Venture Crew event or activity program as well.
NOTE: See Council Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the number of required Range Safety
Officer (RSO’s) and Instructors at the Camp Barstow and Off-Site Ranges.
NOTE: See BSA National Shooting Sports Manual (Pub. # 30931) for National Standards and the SOP and
2011 Council Shooting Sports Volunteer Requirements Policies and Procedures additions.
8. Certification Cards and Shooting Sports Materials:
Venturing and Boy Scout Shooting Sports RSO’s/Instructors shall carry their BSA Training Card
(33767A) and their NRA /USA Archery certification card with them during range operation.
Cub Scout Shooting Sports Trained Volunteers shall carry their BSA Training Card (33767A)
and have access to a copy of the Cub Shooting Sport Manual (13550) with them during range
9. National BSA Standards - Camp Program and Property Management Publication (#20-920, Section #6), BSA
National Shooting Sports Manual (30931), Council Policies and Procedures, Guide to Safe Scouting and a copy
of the Council Shooting Sports SOP will be provided at each range for reference.
10. The Council Shooting Sports Training Coordinator will provide or coordinate Training for all volunteers.
11. Shooting Sports Training will be accomplished on a regular basis throughout the year to meet the goals and
needs of the Council Shooting Sports Committee, The Council Training Committee, National BSA Standards
(BSA National Shooting Sports Manual 30931), The Guide for Safe Scouting, The Council’s SOP, The Council
Shooting Sports Policies and Procedures and all Range Safety Rules at Camp Barstow and all Off-Site Events.