Key Points Review #5
Reading: Dym & Little, 5.3; and Finkelstein, Chapt. 15 & 17
1. Answer the following questions for the Numerical Evaluation Matrix in Figure 5.8:
a. Why are there numerical entries only for two of the four design options?
b. Were all the design objectives included? Why or why not?
2. Answer the following questions for the Priority Checkmark Method Matrix in Figure 5.9:
a. What is the highest priority objective?
b. How is the number of checks determined in the columns for the individual designs?
c. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the priority checkmark method as compared to the
numerical evaluation matrix?
3. From the description in section 5.3.3 construct a best-of-class chart for the beverage container design problem.
Page 1 of 2
4. Paraphrase the general guidelines for using visuals listed on page 270 of Finkelstein.
5. Paraphrase the three guidelines for the design of visuals listed on page 270-271 of Finkelstein.
6. What does Finkelstein list as the 5 key factors necessary to make a technical presentation effective?
Page 2 of 2