Try the all-new QuickBooks Online for FREE.  No credit card required.

International Student Handbook University of New Haven

Document Sample
International Student Handbook University of New Haven Powered By Docstoc
					International Student

                                        Table of Contents

Welcome ..................................................................................................... 2

New Student Check List……………..………………………………………....3

Accommodations ....................................................................................... 4
      Local Hotels (p. 4)
      On- and Off-Campus Housing (p. 4-5)
      Renting an Apartment (p. 5-6)
      Post Office (p. 6)

Banks .......................................................................................................... 7

Shopping .................................................................................................... 8

Transportation............................................................................................ 9

Important Phone Numbers to Know………………………………………….11

Health Services and Medical Insurance …………………………………….11

Safety and Security……………………………………………………………..14


ID Cards…………………………………………………………………………...20
      Social Security Card
      Driver’s License and State ID
      UNH Student ID

Driving and Cars….……………………………………………………………...21

Communications and Telephone Connections ....................................... 24

Going to School – All you need to know ................................................. 26
         Student-Faculty Relations
         Class Formats
         Class Cancellations
         Tips for Academic Success
         Paying your tuition

Financial Aid and Tuition .......................................................................... 29

Student Activities....................................................................................... 31

U.S. Holidays .............................................................................................. 38

Getting to Know Americans ...................................................................... 38

Welcome to the University of               New Haven! We are pleased that you have arrived to
embark on your adventure in academia. In addition to all the routine tasks of settling in and
acquainting yourself with your surroundings, you will also be faced with the challenge of
adjusting to and living in a culture that may be quite different from yours.
This handbook is designed to answer most of your questions and help guide you through your
learning process. We strongly recommend that you read it carefully and keep it for future
The International Services Office (ISO) is your office – the place you can go with any kind of
question, immigration related or personal. Our staff has much experience with both government
and university procedures. Please feel free to utilize all resources that are offered to maximize
the comfort and enjoyment of your stay in the U.S. We wish you success as you begin your
academic career.

                                International Services Office

       Andrea Hogan                                         ISO
       Director                                             Front Desk
       Ph: (203) 932-7338                                   Ph: (203) 932-7475
       Fax: (203) 932-7261                                  Fax: (203) 932-7261                        
                              ISO Website:

UNH History
The University of New Haven was founded on the Yale campus in 1920 and became New Haven
College in 1926. Its aim then was to provide a new higher education opportunity to adult learners
in the post World War I era.

In 1960, the university moved from New Haven to its current West Haven location. Ten years
later it changed its name to the University of New Haven. UNH now includes four schools and

          •   College of Arts and Sciences
          •   College of Business
          •   Tagliatela College of Engineering
          •   The Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice & Forensic Sciences

Today the University has a population of over 5000 students including 575 international students
from 56 countries. UNH offers over 100 areas of study, including full and part-time study for both
graduate and undergraduate programs. The campus has at least 25 major buildings on over 78
acres of land and offers both online courses and satellite center courses.

New Student Check List

Whom do I need to see?

  1. ___ International Services Office (ISO) on the 2nd floor of Echlin Hall is the first place
     to go. There you will meet with your international student advisor who will give you
     important information and register you in the SEVIS database. It is at this point that you
     can ask any questions personal or otherwise on what to expect and how to settle in.
     Within 3 days of checking in at the ISO, you will receive an email with your UNH login
     information. If you don’t receive the email, you will receive your login information at

     Note: Please bring your I-20 or DS-2019, passport, and other important paperwork. The advisor
     will make copies of your documents and clear your record in order to proceed with the
     registration process.

  2. Attend the ORIENTATION! (details at

  3. ___The Bursar’s Office is the next place to go and is located in Maxcy Hall Room 109 on
     the first floor. Here you will pay for your courses in order to attend your first classes.

  4. ___Getting a UNH ID Card and E-mail Account is next. Go to Echlin Hall, first floor,
     room 114. Echlin Hall is across the street from main campus on Boston Post Road.
     Getting this ID card is very important, as it will allow you access into the school library
     and other facilities and activities. Your UNH e-mail is important to use in order to receive
     important information.

  5. ___ Next, see Health Services, located in Sheffield Hall, to make sure all of your
     immunizations and physical forms have been filled out correctly. Here you can also get
     your Medical Insurance Card after showing a detailed tuition receipt, available at the
     Bursar’s Office.

  6. ___Open a bank account to enable you to use a check/debit card to pay for your fees.
     Do NOT carry large amounts of cash under any circumstances. *See page 7 for more
     information on banking.

Local Hotels
(Rates may vary)

       West Haven, CT                  New Haven, CT                 Orange, CT
   Best Western Hotel
                                    Hotel Duncan                  Courtyard by Marriott
   490 Saw Mill Road
                                    1151 Chapel Street            New Haven Orange
   Exit 42 off I-95
                                    (203) 787-1273                136 Marsh Hill Road
   (203) 933-0344
                                      (203) 799-2200
                                    $60-$80/night +tax            1-800-894-8733
   $109 - $219/night +tax
                                    Courtyard New Haven           ls/travel/hvnco-courtyard-new-
   Hampton Inn & Suites
                                    at Yale                       haven-orange/
   510 Saw Mill Road
                                    30 Whalley Avenue
   (203) 932-0404
                                    (203) 777-6221
   n/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?                                          Milford, CT
   $139 – $159/night +tax                                         Post Motor Inn
                                    $119-$129/night +tax
   *$99/night +tax                                                1700 Boston Post Road
                                    *$109/night +tax
                                                                  (203) 874-3777
   Econo Lodge                                                    $60/night +tax
                                    La Quinta Inn and Suites
   370 Highlands Street                                           Also have weekly rates -
                                    400 Sargent Drive
   (203) 934-6611                                                 *$100/week discount for UNH
                                    (203) 562-1111
   $79-$89/night +tax
                                    $89/night +tax
   Super 8 Motel                    *$79/night +tax
   7 Kimberly Avenue
   (203) 932-9000
   $59.99-$69.99/night +tax

*Special UNH rates

On-Campus Housing
  UNH offers on-campus housing for undergraduate students only. Please see
  For more information, please contact the Office of Residential Life at (203) 932-7076.

 Off-Campus Housing
UNH off-campus housing website

Real Estate Agents and Apartment Management in the Area
Units located in West Haven and New Haven

      Prestige Realty              Residences at 9th Square     Hadley Inc.
      P O Box 763                  85 Orange Street             37 Trumbull Street
      New Haven, CT 06503          New Haven, CT 06510          Suite 101
      (203) 996-2824               (203) 624-9000               New Haven, CT 06511
                                   Studio, 1, & 2 BR            (203) 777-4599
      Crestwood Apartments                                      Studio, 1, 2, 3, & 4 BR
      435 Saw Mill Road            Chelsea Company
      West Haven, CT 06516         80 Howe Street               Green Olive Properties
      (203) 932-4024               New Haven, CT 06511          437 Meloy Road Extension
      Studio, 1, & 2 BR            (203) 776-0623               West Haven, CT 06516
                                   1, 2, & 3 BR                 (203) 795-3748
      Kenneth Gardens                                           (203) 799-2409
      33 Kenneth Street            VIP Apartments               Efficiencies, 1, & 2 BR
      West Haven, CT 06516         Rental Office
      (203) 937-6933               175 Canton Street            Wintergreen of Westfield
                                   West Haven, CT 06516         400 Blake Street
                                   (203) 795-0332               New Haven, CT, 06515
                                   1, 2, & 3 BR                 (888) 285-8229
                                                                (888) 627-4641

             Helpful Websites:     

   Renting an Apartment
   As a new student to the US, this may be the first time in your life that you have lived
   on your own. This is an exciting time of your life, but there may be times when
   problems between roommates or the landlord occur. The root of many problems is
   miscommunication. Here are some guidelines that are useful when dealing with a
             1. Rent: Each roommate should pay an equal portion of the rent and is
             responsible for paying the landlord. Make sure you understand the lease

          contract you have signed and that you have a clear understanding of the
          penalties associated with making late payments.

          2. Food: Each roommate should be responsible for his/her own food. All other
          personal products (shampoo, toothpaste) should be the responsibility of each

          3. Cleaning: Each roommate should be responsible for cleaning his or her own
          room. Chores for the rest of the rental, including vacuuming, dusting, and
          cleaning the bathroom, should occur once a week and rotate between
          roommates. No one should leave dirty dishes in the sink for longer than 24
          hours, and each roommate should clean-up after his/herself in the kitchen
          every day.

          4. Utilities: Each roommate is responsible for a % of the charge for water, trash
          pick-up, electric, and cable. If bills are paid late, serious consequences, like
          termination of service can occur. Please be responsible.

          5. Guests: Each roommate may invite guests, so long as each guest and visit is
          approved by the other roommates.

 Post Office
Off-Campus Postal Services
     Post Office – Allingtown                          Post Office – West Haven
     75 Farwell Street                                  589 Campbell Ave.
     West Haven, CT 06516                               West Haven, CT 06516
     Phone: (800) ASK-USPS                             Phone: (800) ASK-USPS

On-Campus Postal Services
  Maxcy Hall has a mailroom on the basement floor that will assist you in mailing
  out or receiving mail. There is also a stamp dispenser in the bookstore where you
  can purchase stamps.

  Wells Fargo                 People’s United Bank        New Alliance Bank
  West Haven                  220 Captain Thomas Blvd     322 Main Street
  Financial Center            West Haven, CT 06515        West Haven, CT 06516
  597 Campbell Avenue         (203) 786-2661              (203) 931-3030
  West Haven, CT 06516   
  (203) 934-7953              1-800-772-1090             1-800-892-2096
  (Walk- up ATM
  available at UNH)

  Bank of America                          Citibank
  420 Campbell Avenue                       868 Chapel St.
  West Haven, CT 06516                     New Haven, CT 06510
  (203) 773-4411                           (203) 773-4411
  1-800-841-8000                           (ATM available beside 7-Eleven Store)                    Student Banking
  (ATM available inside ShopRite)          1-800-344-8382

General Info about Banking in the U.S.
  Both New Haven and West Haven banks offer a variety of services to customers
  including checking, savings, and international transactions. Most banks in the area
  have 24-hour ATM services. Please note that each bank has different rules,
  regulations, and fees that they charge to patrons for various services.

  It is very unsafe to carry large amounts of cash at any given time. Never leave
  cash lying around in dormitory rooms! If you will be staying in the country for more
  than 3 months, it is advisable to open an account as soon as possible. If you
  cannot open an account right away, it is advisable to change your cash into
  traveler’s checks.

To Open a Bank Account
  You will need to bring the following documentation to the bank to open an account.
     1.   Passport
     2.   I-20 OR DS-2019
     3.   1-94 Form
     4.   A UNH student ID

As you settle in to your dorm or your new apartment you will probably need to buy a
few things. This may include anything from food, bedding, pots and pans to furniture.

Food and Personal Essentials
 Shoprite             CVS                   Wal-Mart                 Target
 1131 Campbell Ave.   252 Orange Ave.       515 Sawmill Road         25 Boston Post Road
 West Haven, CT       West Haven, CT        West Haven, CT           Orange, CT

 Walgreens            UNH Convenience Store
 394 Campbell Ave.    1st floor of Botwinik Hall on campus
 West Haven, CT       Sells most things from toiletry to convenience items such as coffee,
                      soda and snacks

 You may want to check postings of used furniture on campus. Most students who
 are graduating and are leaving will post their furniture for sale on most of the
 school’s boards. This is generally cheaper if you are looking to economize. If you
 arrive in the warm months, look for Tag Sales; private yard sales where families
 sell their unwanted belongings at cheap prices.

         Railroad Salvage                            IKEA
         1131 Campbell Ave # 3                       450 Sargent Drive
         West Haven, CT                              New Haven, CT
         (Next to ShopRite)                         Exit 46 off I-95
         (203) 933-5468                              (203) 865-4532

              This website can be helpful:
                                        (beware of internet scams)

 Westfield Connecticut Post Mall            Clinton Crossing Premium Outlets
 1201 Boston Post Rd.                       20-A Killingworth Turnpike
 Milford, CT                                Clinton, CT 06413

 To get to the Westfield Connecticut Post Mall, take bus O (Route 1) from either
 New Haven at the green or from UNH in front of the main entrance on Boston Post
 Road. There is also a movie theater in the mall. If you have time to catch a movie,
 rates are about $11.00 (subject to change).

Local Transportation
CT Transit – Buses
 The CT Transit Authority operates local buses to most destinations within the New
 Haven county district. To get more information on their routes and schedules, call
 customer service at (203) 624-0151 or go on line to You can
 also get a printed copy of their current schedule at the International Student Office
 (ISO) or at their booth downtown (on the New Haven green on Chapel Street).

 Rates are $1.25 (subject to change) for a one-way trip and a free transfer is

Taxi Cabs
 You may elect to call a cab to take you to wherever you need to go. However,
 cabs are more expensive and an average taxi ride will cost anywhere from $8 to
 $20. Metro taxi is one of the cab companies around New Haven. Their number is
 (203) 777-7777 (also see Important Phone Numbers). Please note that you must be
 able to specify your current location and where you intend to go when you call.
 Allow approximately 5 to 30 minutes for a cab to come and pick you up.

Transportation within the U.S.
  Bus Lines

              Greyhound Bus                      Peter Pan Bus
              1-800-231-2222                     800-343-9999

Both bus lines have a wide variety of destinations including New York, Boston,
Hartford, and Providence. Their rates depend on the destination, and it is usually
best to make reservations 24 hours in advance.


              Metro North Rail Road              Amtrak
              1-800-638-7646                     1-800-872-7245

Metro North is used for the New Haven to New York commute and is cheaper than
Amtrak. Amtrak serves the entire USA and can take you to more destinations.
Trains are generally more expensive than buses, but are quicker and more

Air Travel Information

 AA 1-800-433-7300                             Iberia 1-800-772-4642
 Air Canada 1-800-776-3000                     India 1-800-223-7776
 Air France 1-800-237-2747                     Japan 1-800-525-3663
 Alitalia 1-800-223-5730                       KLM 1-800-374-7747
 British Airways 1-800-247-9297                Lufthansa 1-800-645-3880
 China Airlines 1-800-227-5118                 North West 1-800-225-2525
 Continental 1-800-525-0280                    Qantas 1-800-227-4500
 Delta 1-800-221-1212                          Saudi Arabian 1-800-472-8342
 Eva Air 1-800-695-1188                        Singapore 1-800-742-3333
 Gulf Air1800-2231740                          US Airways 1-800-428-4322

Transportation to and from Major Airports

       Prime Time Shuttle                         Go Airport Shuttle
       1-800-733-8267                             1-800-733-8267         

                     Connecticut Limousine
                     230 Old Gate Lane Long Wharf
                     New Haven, CT
                     This service will pick you up from home or from UNH
                     1-800-472-5466 or (203) 878-2222

Recommended Travel Agencies
       Bea’s Travel                               STA Travel
       1310 Whalley Ave                           9 Whitney Ave
       New Haven, CT 06515                        New Haven, CT 06510
       (203) 389-6349                             (203) 777-5744

Useful Online Travel Sites

Important Phone Numbers to Know
                     Emergency Number from any phone is 9-1-1
                       University Emergency Number is (203) 932-7070
  University Numbers are preceded with………………………………………………………………...(203) 932-
  International Services Office .................................................................................................7475
  Undergraduate Admissions (Int’l) .........................................................................................7320
  Graduate Admissions (Int’l) ...................................................................................................7441
  Registrar’s office ....................................................................................................................7309
  Bursar’s Office .......................................................................................................................7217
  Health Services ......................................................................................................................7079
  Residential Life ......................................................................................................................7076
  Campus Police .......................................................................................................................7014
  Career Development Center .................................................................................................4858
  Counseling & Campus Access Services…………………………………………………………………….………..7332
  Cafeteria/Food services .........................................................................................................7185
  Financial Aid ..........................................................................................................................7315
  Student Activities………………………………………………………………………………………………..203-479-4582
  Recreation Center (athletics/gym)………………………………………………………………………203-931-2965
  Bookstore ..............................................................................................................................7030
  Mail department ...................................................................................................................7029
  Library ....................................................................................................................................7195
  Main Line (General info) ........................................................................................................7000

  FYI (For Your Information)
  Metro Taxi…………………………………………………………………………………………………………(203)777-7777
  CT Transit .............................................................................................................. (203) 634-0151
  New Haven Police ................................................................................................. (203) 933-1616
  Rape and Crisis 24 HR HOTLINE ............................................................................ (203) 878-1212
  Nurse Line ............................................................................................................. (203) 688-9999
  Yale New Haven Hospital...............................................................................…...1 877-688-1101
  Suicide Hotline...............................................................................................…...1 800-203-1234
  CT Info Line (free)..………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. 2-1-1

Health Services and Medical Insurance
  On-Campus Services                                  Academic Year Hours                     Summer Hours
                                                      M.-Th. 8:30am-5pm                       Will be posted on door
                                                      Friday 8:30am-4:30pm
   Health Services
Health Services is located on the ground level of Sheffield Hall, which provides health care
for UNH students. Health Services will take walk-in students during business hours.
However, doctor’s hours are limited. Please check the Health Service’s door for
information on hours or call them for daily doctor’s hours or any other information that is
health related. Health Services is equipped to attend to the most common illness and will
refer special cases to offsite physicians. Contact: (203) 932-7079,

  Women’s Clinic
Health Services also offers a weekly Women’s Clinic. There is a nurse who visits the
school once a week for any questions or concerns you may have and offers basic
gynecological services and examinations. The Women’s Clinic is by appointment only.
Please call Health Services for more information or to set up an appointment.
   Dental Hygiene
The UNH Dental Center is located across the street from the main campus on Boston
Post Road. This facility trains students to be dental hygienists. The center offers
cleanings at reduced rates to the general public to help student trainees practice.
UNH students-$5, UNH Faculty & Staff and any other college students-$10,
Senior citizens and Children-$15, General Public-$20
The facility is equipped with the latest technology in dental care and instructors who will
tend to your basic dental needs. The center will refer special cases to regular dentists in
other facilities. Contact: (203) 932-6028
   Campus Access Services, Mental Health, and Psychological Counseling
Campus Access Services and the Counseling Center are located on the first floor in
Sheffield Hall next to Health Services. This facility offers assistance to students with
learning or physical disabilities or those in need of counseling for any reason.

       *Emergency Number for Ambulance – Dial 9-1-1
       This number, 911, applies to all emergencies (Police, Fire, and Medical).

       *Nurse Advice Line 24/7: 1-866-525-1955
       *Yale New Haven Hospital Nurse Advice Line:
                                               (203) 688-9999 or 1-877-688-1101

    Emergency Clinic:
    Urgent Care: 109 Boston Post Rd., Orange, CT (203) 298- 4600
    Milford Walk-In Center: 851 Boston Post Rd., Milford, CT (203) 876- 4101

    Women’s Clinic
    Planned Parenthood: 345 Whitney Ave. New Haven (203)503-0450

  Medical Insurance
Each international student is required to obtain the UNH medical insurance coverage
while studying at the university. If you feel sick, try to see Health Services first. If you
go to a private doctor, you will be required to pay 20% of the bill. Your insurance will
pay for 80%. If the doctor or hospital does not accept your insurance, you will have to
pay for the entire bill and submit a copy to Health Services. The nurses at the Health
Services office will assist you to receive money back from the insurance company.
More information about the university’s health plan can be obtained from Health

   PAYMENT for Medical Services
  All illnesses or injuries must be referred by Health Services to be eligible for benefits. If
  an illness or injury occurs when Health Services is closed or if the student is away from
  school, it is absolutely essential that the student notify Health Services or the bill will not
  be paid. All medical services (physicians, labs, walk-ins, etc.) have their own policy for
  payment and may require 100% payment at the time of service.
  Please be reminded that school insurance is considered secondary insurance. If
  students have their own insurance or are still covered under their parent’s policy, billing
  must go through that insurance first.

Personal Hygiene
  American culture is quite relaxed in many areas, but there are a few specific things that
  are considered to be unacceptable and offensive. Some “rules” that should be followed
  while in the United States are:

   Be polite – general etiquette
      • Cover your mouth when you yawn, sneeze, or cough. Americans are careful not to
          spread germs. It is considered unsanitary to not cover one’s mouth.
      • Americans are offended by strong odors and normally bathe daily (sometimes twice
          daily in hot weather), and use underarm deodorant. Strong smelling perfumes or
          colognes are applied sparingly because they may not be pleasant to others.
      • Do not belch loudly in public.
      • Flatulence should be controlled as discreetly as possible.
      • Do not spit. You may see people spitting on the streets, or during sporting events, but
          it is generally a sign of having “no class.”
      • Do not pick your teeth or nose in public.
      • Do not stare. (gaze continuously at someone)
      • Do not whistle at women.

   Stay well – a general advice column
      • Wash hands frequently with soap and water especially before and after handling food
      • Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water a day
      • Get a minimum of 6 to 8 hrs of sleep a night
      • Please quit smoking if you can
      • Include fruit and vegetables in your daily diet
      • Include physical exercise in your daily routine
      • Schedule time to relax every day
      • Try to achieve a balance between school, work, and your social life
      • Use deodorant after showering daily to prevent offensive body odor
      • Use floss and dental care such as toothbrush with toothpaste twice daily

 Safety and Security
   Campus Police
UNH has an on-campus police force that is here to serve and protect as well as to
enforce the school’s rules and regulations. The following is a brief overview to which
students need to pay particular attention. UNH Campus Police are located in the back
of the Book Store building. Contact: (203) 932-7014

UNH has parking available on campus. You must register your car at Campus Police
after you have registered for classes. First, log in to the parking website to register your
car: Campus Police will issue you a sticker, which needs
to be PERMANENTLY AFFIXED on the inside of the front windshield in the lower corner
of the passenger side. Vehicles not properly displaying a valid UNH parking permit will
be ticketed. Pay attention to the color of the sticker, which corresponds to the parking
area you can use. Any parking tickets you receive may be paid online through the
website above.

   Rules and Regulations of UNH
You will be issued a UNH Student Handbook that outlines all of the rules and policies of
the university.

 Avoid being Scammed!!

     1.)   Avoid lending out money.
     2.)   Never give out your credit card number, bank account number, or social
           security number unless to a reputable official/establishment i.e. UNH.
     3.)   Never fall for the “you have won” scams that require you to send money (do
           not do so).
     4.)   Telemarketers will call to offer you “great deals.” If you do not understand or
           do not want their services, hang up.
     5.)   Immigration benefits are not for sale! Do not fall for services that offer to file
           papers for you. See the International Services Office for any questions on
           this issue.
     6.)   Report any strangers you see loitering around your apartment, home or
           residential hall. If you are on campus call campus police. If you are off-
           campus, call the city police line where you live.
     7.)   Always make sure the windows and doors of your apartment are locked and
           secure either at bedtime or when you leave even if only for a short time. Do
           not leave notes that show you are away; burglars target such places. Ask
           friends who leave notes to push them out of sight under the door and if you
           can, leave lights or TV on at night before going out.
     8.)   Never leave main entrance doors open in apartment buildings, homes, or
           residence halls. This a huge security risk because those who do not belong

           there may follow you in.
      9.)  When arriving home late at night, please ask the person taking you home to
           wait until you are safely indoors before driving off.
      10.) Never walk alone at night. If you have to walk at night, walk where there is
           plenty of light and traffic.
      11.) Avoid giving money to the homeless; rather, donate to shelters or volunteer at
           homeless centers. Some people use this as a scam to get your money or rob
      12.) If at any given time you see someone suspicious behind or in front of you or
           suspect you are being followed, crisscross the street or run and scream if
           they approach you. Stay away from shrubbery, especially at night. Lastly,
           always have your key ready to open the door to your apartment or vehicle.

Federal Regulations for International Students
 Government Agencies
U.S. embassies/consulates
All are outside the U.S. located in major cities throughout the world. The embassies and
consulates issue the non-immigrant visa that permits entry into the U.S.

The embassy/consulate of your country may have an office in Boston, New York,
and/or Washington D.C. Your consul can renew your passport or replace it if it is lost or
stolen. Some consuls also process currency exchange requests and allow citizens to
vote in national elections.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) controls all
immigration regulations and procedures for international students while they are
physically present in the U.S. (e.g. permission to extend stay, to accept employment,
etc.) The local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office is located in the Federal
Building at the following address:
                               450 Main Street
                               Hartford, CT 06103

Most applications are currently processed in the Regional Service Center in Vermont. All
mailings to them should be addressed:
                              U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
                              75 Lower Welden St.
                              St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

UCSIS Telephone: 1-800-375-5283. This is an automated system that will allow you to check on
pending applications and learn about U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services procedures and
order forms. One of the easiest ways of getting the information you need and checking the
status of a pending application is by using the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website
at This site provides access to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

forms, procedures and other information.
  Forms and Documents
Passports are issued by your government and can be renewed in the U.S. by your
consulate or embassy. Your passport must be valid for at least six months in order to
enter the U.S.

Your U.S. Visa, placed in your passport by the U.S. consulate, permits you to enter the
U.S. in a given status. Most students must obtain an F-1 or J-1 entry visa and apply for
entry into the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status. If you are already in the U.S. and your visa
expires, there is no penalty to you. You may continue to reside legally in the U.S. as long
as you are maintaining your status. However, if you leave the U.S. and wish to re-enter,
you must return to a U.S. embassy or consulate to renew your F-1 or J-1 visa. Only the
U.S. embassy or consulate outside the U.S. is able to issue an F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant
visa to you. If you’ve changed your status while in the U.S., you must apply for the
appropriate visa on your next trip abroad. Always be sure to contact the ISO before
departing on any trips abroad. The advisor will provide you with relevant advice,
information and documents.

Your Form I-94 or “Arrival and Departure Record” is a small white card stapled to one of
the pages of your passport. This important document indicates how long you are
permitted to remain in the U.S. Most F-1 and J-1 students will have the letters “D/S” hand
written by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services inspector on the Form I-94. This
means you may remain in the U.S. for “Duration of Status” or as long as you are abiding
by all the regulations governing your F-1 status. When you enter the U.S. the U.S.
Citizenship and Immigration Services immigration inspector will staple the Form I-94 into
your passport. When you leave the U.S., the Form I-94 is removed from your passport. It
is not removed for brief trips to Canada or other contiguous territories to the U.S.
The university admissions office sends the Form I-20, the Certificate of Eligibility, to you to
obtain an F-1 student visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate and to enter the U.S. in F-1
status. Form DS-2019 is used to obtain a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa for a person coming
to the university to study, teach, conduct research, or receive training. You must always
carry your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 with you. If you cannot do this because your I-20 is
being processed, you should make a copy and carry this with you.

  Know Your Legal Responsibilities
It is the responsibility of the international student to know and abide by the U.S.
immigration regulations guiding non-immigrant students and visitors.
All non-immigrant international students at the university must abide by both university
regulations and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations that govern their
stay in the U.S. When students sign the Form I-20 or DS-2019 they are agreeing to abide
by all the rules and regulations.
Because the purpose of the F-1 and J-1 student status is to allow the international student
to pursue a degree full-time, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services places certain
limitations on activities of these students. The student must attend school full-time (12
credit hours for undergraduates and 9 credit hours for graduates) during the school year.

The student is required to take only the number of courses needed to complete degree
requirements the last term of study. Exceptions can be made to the full-time rule under
specified circumstances. These should be discussed with the international services
advisor in advance.

    Strict limitations are placed on the F-1 and J-1 students’ eligibility to work. Working
    without authorization is a deportable offense.

    • F-1 or J-1 students who are in status may work part-time on campus 20 hours a
      week while school is in session and full-time during school holidays.

    An F-1 or J-1 student, who meets specified criteria, may apply to U.S. Citizenship and
    Immigration Services for:

    • Practical or academic training: work authorization in the student’s field of study.
    • Off-campus work authorization due to unexpected financial need.

   OPT—Optional Practical Training
After you have been in valid F-1 status for one academic year, you will become eligible for
OPT, work experience in your field of study. Most students use the 12 months of OPT
after they have completed their studies, so they can have the maximum amount of time to
look for a job and work full-time. However, some students decide to use part of their OPT
in the summer, or work part time during the school year. Just remember that if you use
the OPT before you complete your studies it gets subtracted from your maximum 12

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will take two months or more to process your
application. The social security number, also needed for employment, may take a number
of weeks for the social security office to process. Detailed information on these
regulations may be obtained by contacting the International Services Office. Informational
handouts are available and the advisor can answer specific questions.
On April 8, 2008 USCIS announced changes to key aspects of the regulations governing
F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT). Detailed information on New OPT Regulations
can be obtained by contacting ISO or from the website:

   CPT—Curricular Practical Training (Internship and Co-op)
If your program of studies requires you to work in an internship or practicum in order to
graduate, you may use CPT which does not affect your OPT. You must have been in valid
F-1 status for one academic year before becoming eligible for CPT. If you participate in the
university’s Co-op program, you can also use your CPT. However, if you use more than 12
months of CPT, you will lose your OPT. See ISO for more details and DO NOT begin
working in any firm without consulting the ISO first.

  Maintaining Your Legal Status in the U.S.
       1. Keep your passport valid at all times during your stay here. Your passport can be
          revalidated or renewed through your embassy or consulate.

       2. Make certain, if you are an F-1 or J-1 student, that you maintain full-time student
          status at all times. This means registering for 12 credits if you are an undergraduate
          student and 9 credits if you are a graduate student. If you are having a problem in a
          class, do not drop the class without consulting with the ISO first.
       3. Register for classes on time! If you register after the add/drop period, you will be
          automatically reported to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for failing to
       4. If you move, report your change of address to the ISO. U.S. Citizenship and
          Immigration Services regulations state that you must inform the ISO of your new
          address within 10 days of moving.
       5. Do not work without appropriate authorization from the ISO or U.S. Citizenship and
          Immigration Services. Each non-immigrant status (F-1, J-1, H1B, etc.) has very
          particular limitations on employment. If you work without the appropriate
          authorization, it will create serious difficulties for you. Always check with the ISO well
          in advance of accepting any offer of employment.
       6. Make sure you have the appropriate travel documents so that you can re-enter the
          U.S. after a short trip abroad. You must have a valid passport, a valid visa stamp and
          a valid I-20 or DS-2019 with a recent signature from the ISO to re-enter the U.S.
          Before you travel out of the country, it’s a good idea to check with the ISO to ensure
          you have all your documents in order.
       7. Apply for an extension of stay before your current stay expires. If your legal stay in
          the U.S. is about to end, but you need to remain here longer to complete your studies,
          you must request an extension of your status before the current end date on your I-20
          or DS-2019. Contact the ISO for details.
       8. Make sure your family members have the correct immigration status. If you are here
          as a student or scholar it is possible for your spouse and/or dependent children (under
          age 21) to join you in the U.S. in a student or scholar dependent status. For example
          F-2 for F-1 students or J-2 for J-1 students and scholars. Please talk with the ISO about
          procedures. Persons holding F-2 status cannot work in the U.S.; persons holding J-2
          status can work, but only with authorization from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration
          Services. Other family members and friends will most likely need tourist status to visit
          you here. Only spouses and dependent children are eligible for F-2, J-2, or H-4
          dependent status.

  Obtaining a U.S. Visa in Canada
If you wish to obtain a visa at a U.S. consulate in Canada or Mexico you can make an
appointment via the Internet by accessing or by using a 1-900 number.

From within the U.S., for appointments dial 1-900-443-3131 and for information dial 1-900-
656-2222. From within Canada, for appointments dial 1-900-451-2778 and for information
dial 1-900-451-6330 (recorded message) or 1-900-451-6663 (operator). Another useful
website is:

There is a charge for all 1-900 calls. The charge per minute for the information line that

will be answered by an operator is slightly more than the line with the recorded messages
from a menu. To obtain an F-1 or J-1 visa, one must present a valid Form I-20 or DS-
2019 (new or recently endorsed on the back) along with a passport valid for 60 days
beyond the anticipated date of entry, current financial documentation, and evidence you
are not likely to be an intended immigrant. If you are not a permanent resident or citizen of
Canada you should be able to explain why you are applying in a third country rather than
in your home country.
The following U.S. Consulates in Canada issue non-immigrant visas:

    Calgary:      615 McLeod Trail, SE, Suite 1000, Calgary, Alberta T2G 4T8
    Halifax:      Suite 910 Cogswell Tower, Scotia Square, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3K1
    Montreal:     1155 Alexandre St., Montreal, Quebec H1Z1Z2
    Ottawa:       85 Albert St., Ottawa, Ontario
    Quebec:       2 Place Terrasse Dufferin C.P. 939, Quebec G1R 4T9
    Toronto:      360 University Ave., Toronto, Ontario M5G 1S4
    Vancouver:    1095 W. Pender St., Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 2M6

     Canadian Visas
Do you need a Canadian visa to enter Canada? The easiest way to find out is by
contacting the Canadian Embassy directly. Their phone number in New York City is (212)
596-1628 and their fax is (212) 596-1790 or (212) 596-1725. Also, you can find all the
information you need, including a visitor’s visa application, instructions and a list of
countries whose citizens need visas to visit Canada at this very helpful website:

  U.S. Income Tax
The International Services Office offers students a web-based tax preparation system that
will aid current F-1 and J-1 students in preparing the U.S. Federal income tax forms. If
you are a current F-1 or J-1 student, you can use this system for free. It is available by
February for the April deadline.

If you worked in the Unites States (for example, on – campus job) you will receive form
W-2 in the mail or from the bursar’s office. If you don’t receive a form W-2, you need to
contact your employer as soon as possible. Without this form, you cannot begin your tax

If you did not work in the U.S., you still need to file a form 8843. You can do this on your
own through the IRS ( or you can use the same tax preparation system that
the ISO has purchased.

  Family and Friends Visiting the U.S.
The ISO can prepare a letter for your family or friends who would like to visit you while you
are a student at UNH or for your graduation ceremony. Your family or friends will present
that letter to the US consulate in their country as a supporting document for their
application for a tourist visa. Please remember, the letter does not guarantee the tourist

    ID Cards
  Social Security Card
The Social Security Card is a type of identification card that allows citizens and some
temporary residents to participate in the U.S. Social Security program. The card is not
permission to work in the U.S.; however, students must have a social security number in
order to begin work on or off campus (with USCIS or ISO approval.) The Social Security
card application can take up to one month to process. In order to apply for a Social
Security card you must have a job offer that begins within 30 days. If you do not have
authorized employment, you may apply for a Social Security Denial Letter.

    To obtain a Social Security Card you need the following:
       • To be registered for full-time courses
       • Valid passport
       • I-94 (small white card)
       • I-20 or DS-2019
       • Letter from the International Services Office
          (ISO requires 5 business days to complete the letter)
       • Job offer letter from employer
       • To have entered the USA at least 2 weeks prior to requesting Social Security Card

                        Social Security Administration Office
                        150 Court St., (Corner of Court and Orange Street)
                        Federal Building, Room 325 A
                        New Haven, CT 06510
                        (203) 773-5201 or 1-800-772-1213

Office hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday is particularly
busy. The social security office phone numbers are (203) 773-5201. Their website is You can visit the ISO for more instructions on how to get to the office.

As a substitute for a Social Security number, you may use a Taxpayer Identification
Number (TIN), which can be obtained from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) using form
W-8, Certificate of Foreign Status.

    Driver’s License and State ID
The Connecticut Driver’s License
To obtain a Connecticut driver’s license you must contact the Department of Motor
Vehicles . The closest DMV is in Hamden at 1985
State Street (203)789-7524. They are closed Mondays. Be prepared with the following
    • Two types of ID. This should include your passport, and either a Social Security Card or an

       official school transcript.
    •    A Certification from a Driving School. You need to take an 8 hour class about safe driving
         and receive a certificate. The cost of the classes is $125.
    •   Social Security denial letter (if you do not have an authorized job)
    •   Your Form I-20 or DS-2019
    •   Form I-94
    •   A vehicle in which to take the driving test. The vehicle must be registered, insured, and
         capable of passing Connecticut inspection requirements.
    •   Proof of your car insurance.
    •   Proof of address
    •   To have been in the USA for at least 10 days
    •   Before taking your driving test, you should read the Connecticut Driver's Manual for new
    •   A letter of full-time enrollment at UNH from the ISO. (ISO requires 5 business days to
         complete the letter)

Get all the information you need about car registration, obtaining a Connecticut driver’s
license, and much more at or call 1-800-842-8222.

    UNH Student ID
Go to the campus card office in Echlin Hall, room 113 on the first floor.
     Academic hours:
     Monday to Friday                         10:00 a.m. - 1:00pm and 2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
     Summer hours:
     Monday to Thursday                       8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
     Fridays                                  8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
UNH E-Mail Accounts: It is very important to get a UNH e-mail account in order to
register for classes, receive information, and view grades. You can receive your UNH
E-mail id on the day of orientation else contact ISO.

    Driving and Cars
 Driving in the United States

    Driving Schools – New Haven Area

          Chase 2 Driving School
          341 Main Street, West Haven, CT 06516
          (203) 932-4300

        Before taking lessons, go to the office for an eye test and to pay in cash for the first
        lesson. The instructor will pick up student from student’s address.

         Rae's Driving School
         36 Main Street, 2nd floor Suite 8, East Haven, CT 06512
         (203) 469-5859
       Before taking lessons, go to the office for an eye test and to make your first
       appointment. The instructor will pick up student from student’s address.

         Phil's Professional Auto Driving School LLC
         212 Main St, East Haven, CT 06512- 3005
         (203) 467-5639
       Before taking lessons, go to the office to pay in cash for the first lesson.
       The instructor will pick up student from student’s address.

         All-Star Driver                                      New Haven Driving School
         501 Boston Post Road #18, Orange, CT                 59 Amity Road, New Haven, CT
         (203)287-9600                (203) 392-0973

         Hamden Driving School                                Top Driver Driving School
         2911 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT                      2348 Whitney Road, Hamden, CT
         (203) 230-8265                                       (586) 274-1730                

    Buying a Car: New or Used?
Although a new car will most likely give you fewer problems than would a used one, it will
also prove to be far more expensive. If you buy a new car and sell it 12 months later, you
can expect to face a rather substantial loss as the major loss in value takes place in the
first year of new car ownership.

  Buying a Used Car
While there is always some risk when buying a used car, its value decreases far less than
a new car over the same period. When buying a used car we would strongly suggest that
      1.) Purchase a used car book that can be found at most bookstores. These books contain
          excellent advice on which models to consider and which to avoid as well as where to
          buy and how to inspect a used car.
      2.) Review the latest auto issues of Consumer Reports magazine, usually published in April,
          and the Kelley Blue Book. You will find these in the periodical section of the library. In
          it you will find a section on "Good Bets on Used Cars" which not only includes a list of
          better used car buys (listed by price range and size), but also a list of models to avoid.
      3.) Begin to look for a car in the price range you can afford. You have two options: first, to
          buy directly from an individual owner (ads are found daily in the newspaper); or
          second, to buy from an established automobile dealer. Although you may save money

          buying directly from an owner, we would suggest that you purchase your car from a
          reputable dealer who will give you a full guarantee on the car. Thus if anything goes
          wrong, it will be repaired free or at a minimal cost to you.
      4.) Helpful Websites:;;

  Additional Suggestions
   • Follow the guidelines from the used car book, paying attention to the models they
   • Check the guarantees; make sure you know what is and what is not covered and
      compare dealers' guarantees.
   • Bargain; don’t assume the listed price is the one that you must pay.
   • Once you have found one or more cars that interest you and are in your price
      range, call the Better Business Bureau and ask them for information about the
      dependability of the automobile dealerships with which you are dealing. The Better
      Business Bureau keeps a record of consumer complaints and this information can
      be helpful. Don't buy from a dealer who has a record of complaints.

   Buying a New Car
If you have decided to buy a new car, we suggest that you check magazines such as
Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, Road and Track and other publications on cars to see
which car makes and models are recommended and why. Once you have decided on the
particular make and model you want and the options you'd like, find out the dealer cost of
the car either by looking through Consumer Reports or one of the publications designed
for that purpose. Then negotiate up from the dealer cost rather than down from the sticker
price on the car. You can occasionally get a car for $150 to $200 above the dealer's cost.
While you can expect to pay for transportation of the car from its manufacturing location,
don't let them add "dealer preparation charges" onto the cost. This is their responsibility.
Since several dealers in the greater New Haven area represent most cars, don't be
bashful about seeing which dealer will give you the best price. Don't let them pressure you
into making your decision, but they will certainly try. Here again you may wish to check
with the Better Business Bureau on the reputations of the dealers with whom you are

    License and Registration
When you purchase a car from a dealer, arrangements will be made for you to get a
license (registration) for the car. The cost, which is based on the weight of the car, will
probably be under $150. If you purchase the car directly from the owner, you will have to
take the signed title of ownership to the Department of Motor Vehicles and make your own
application. Remember to keep the new title in a safe place because you will need it when
it comes time for you to sell the car. The title of the car shows the name of the owner of
the car, and the current owner and the purchaser must sign it. Proof of car insurance is
needed to obtain your registration. DMV website:

   Automobile Insurance
Connecticut State law requires that you have insurance. This should be obtained from a
licensed insurance company prior to registering your car. Depending on your age, sex

and driving record, the cost will vary from $500 to $1000 or more annually. Men under 25
will be charged more, with women usually being charged less. If you bring your driving
record with you, there is a chance you may save some money. You may also want to
discuss insurance with several companies. Under certain conditions, costs may vary.

            Insurance Companies for Students without Social Security Numbers

                    Company Name                         Contact Number
                    Answer Financial                     1-888-868-1234
                    Capital One                          1-800-993-5068
                    Esurance                             1-800-580-6819 or 1-800-772-9351 (X 6096)
                    Geico in CT                          1-800-515-8247
                    Progressive Direct                   1-800-PROGRESSIVE or 1-800-776-4737
                    Safeco Insurance                     1-800-841-5914 (X42755, Rachel Maughan)
                    Allstate                             1-888-621-6900

    Renting a Car
ZipCar – a car-sharing option for commuter students (alternative to rental vehicle). You pay per hour
                                                                           It includes gas,
          (about $8/hour or $66/day during the week, and $9/hour or $72/day on weekends).
          insurance and 180 free miles. Reserved parking spots on campus.

Car Rental – You may also rent a car for the specific periods you plan to travel. While this will
          not allow you to have a car always available, it will provide you with transportation when
          you need it and may cost you far less in the long run. Cars may be rented daily, weekly,
          or monthly from companies that are listed in the yellow pages of the telephone book
          under Automobile Rental and Leasing. To rent a car you must have a credit card and
          either a U.S. driver’s license or your international driver's license and your passport.

          Cars can be rented with two basic options: You can pay a smaller fee and be charged
          for each mile you drive or you can pay a higher daily fee and have unlimited mileage (no
          additional charge, but you must buy your own gas). If you will be accumulating
          significant mileage this option will probably cost you less.
                              Enterprise Rent-a-Car:
                              Avis Car Rental:
                              Hertz Rent-a-Car:
                              Budget Car Rental:

Leasing a Car – is another possibility for short-term visitors. When leasing you sign a contract to
          use the car for a specified period usually at a monthly rate. Whether buying or leasing, it
          is always best to shop around for the best deal.

    Communications and Telephone Connections
How to dial . . .
  For calls within Connecticut in the New Haven local area, simply dial the area code 203,

  then the 7-digit phone number. For calls that are within the state in another area with a
  different area code, dial 1, the area code, and then the number. These calls are
  considered to be long distance. For example, if you wish to telephone someone who
  lives in Bridgeport, which is outside the local New Haven area, you would dial 1, 203,
  and then the telephone number (a 7-digit). For calls outside the 203 area code, you
  would dial 1, the area code and the 7-digit telephone number. If you do not know the
  area code for the number you are dialing, consult the telephone book, the operator, or
  the internet ( The telephone directory provides complete information on
  how to make every kind of telephone call, and the many services available to you.

Long Distance Carriers
  In order to make long distance phone calls from your telephone, you can choose a long
  distance carrier such as ATT, Sprint or MCI. Shop around for the best prices for your
  needs. You may want to ask each company what the costs are for telephone calls to
  the country and states that you will most frequently be calling. Costs may go up
  considerably after the first 3 minutes of a long distance call depending on your long
  distance carrier. If you live in the residence halls, you will use the long distance carrier
  that the University has chosen for on-campus residents. You must contact the Office of
  Residential Life for specific information about this carrier.

Collect calls
  If the person you are calling agrees to pay the charge, you can make a collect call by
  asking the operator to reverse the charges. For a collect call, dial 0, area code, and the
  number; then tell the operator that you wish to make the call collect and give your name.

Calling Cards
  You can also make easy and often inexpensive telephone calls with the use of a “calling
  card.” Such a card can be conveniently used at any phone. You can purchase pre-paid
  calling cards in amounts that begin at $2.00. You can also purchase cards from long
  distance phone companies that will bill you for the number of minutes you use. To use
  such cards you must dial a designated or secret code and then make your call.
          (Available for purchase at most gas stations, convenience stores, and supermarkets)

How to get telephone service in your apartment
  SBC this is the local telephone company of New Haven. Simply call them with your
  request and have your address, ID – Passport and or Social Security, or go to their
  offices. To request new service call 811.

Cell Phones
  Recently, it has become more common for students to simply get a cell phone, without
  setting up a landline in their apartments. Most cell phone plans offer a specific monthly
  rate for a certain number of anytime minutes during the days, free nights after 9:00pm,
  and also free weekends. Some cell phone carriers also offer specific plans for
  international calls. You should ask how this works when you inquire about purchasing a
  cell phone and a particular monthly package.

       • 1-888-333-6651
       • Can get a GO PHONE which acts as a monthly plan

           Verizon Wireless
       • 1-800-922-0204
       • A monthly cell phone plan is available with $400 deposit.
       • Also, students can get pre-paid service with no SSN

       • 1-800-SPRINT1
       • International students without a SSN can get a cell phone with their passport.
       • Students would need to go to the store in person.

       • 1-800-TMobile
       • “Pay As You Go” – Pre-Paid Plan

       • 1-800-853-4133
       • No social security number required
       • No credit checks – everyone with a valid credit or debit card is approved
       • Anytime Minutes Rollover

  Going to School in the U.S.
             All you need to know
Student-Faculty Relations
 The types of relationships you will have with faculty will vary depending upon the faculty
 members and the context in which you get to know them. For example, even the
 friendliest professor will rarely get to know undergraduate students in a large lecture
 class. Graduate students frequently get to know the faculty on a social basis, enhancing
 the professional relationship between student and professor. We would like to
 encourage you to know your teachers outside the classroom. During the year there will
 be both formal (scheduled meetings) and informal opportunities for you to meet both
 faculty and administrators. We urge you to attend. Unless you make an effort, you will

 rarely get to know a faculty member outside the classroom.
Class Formats
 Classes are taught in a variety of ways at the university, with the approach determined
 by the content being covered, the style of the faculty member, and the number of
 students enrolled. During your stay at the university you will most likely encounter many
 different types of courses. The most common are the following:

 The Lecture
  This is probably the approach with which you are most familiar. In a lecture class, the
  faculty member usually teaches the class following a prepared outline. Films, slides or
  other visual materials are often used. During the lecture it is very important for you to
  take notes and to write down the information that is being emphasized since it will most
  likely be covered on course tests. Participation and questions are usually welcome.

 The Laboratory
  Usually combined with lectures, laboratory classes are a key part of many science or
  computer courses. A laboratory meets once a week for several hours and is under the
  direction of a laboratory assistant or faculty member. Quite often you will be working
  with another student as a laboratory "partner." While the laboratory is often directly
  related to another course, it is kept separate for registration, testing, and grading.

 The Seminar
  Upper division (junior and senior) and graduate-level courses are often taught in a
  seminar. In this type of class, small groups of students (usually fewer than 20) are
  encouraged to interact with faculty and classmates. In a seminar, it is acknowledged
  that, while the professor has information to impart, there are things that he or she can
  learn from the students and that they can learn from each other. This type of open
  discussion may be a new experience for you, but it is important that you become
  involved and participate actively.

 Independent Study
  In this type of course, usually available only to upper division or graduate-level
  students, you decide what you want to study and arrange with a faculty member to
  fulfill certain requirements on an individual basis. Generally, the requirements will
  include extensive reading or experimentation in a specific subject that will lead to a
  written report at the end of the term. You may take an independent study course only if
  you find a faculty person to supervise and evaluate your activity.

 “Blackboard 9” – Online System
  Most professors utilize “Blackboard,” an online system provided by the university for
  communication and information sharing. Professors may choose to post syllabi, course
  documents, articles, assignments and/or grades, among other things, on the
  “Blackboard” system. Use your university ID and password to log in. To access the
  most current version, go to the dropdown menu on and click
  “Blackboard 9.”

 Class and University Cancellations
You may find out about school cancellations through the UNH web page; the Webmaster
will post cancellations on the UNH homepage at You may sign up for
text message alerts for cancellations on the UNH website at
All radio stations statewide will broadcast school cancellations in the event of snow days or
any event that may warrant school cancellation; 99.9 FM is one of the best stations for this
purpose. TV stations also inform the general public of cancellations and will generally do so
within the hour of notification from the relevant school; in this case we recommend local
channel 8 WTNH. Calling the school main line (203) 932-7000 may also help; the school
posts a telephone message to advise on such events in the event that no one is there to
answer the telephone.

      Tips for Academic Success
 • Although most faculty members encourage critical thinking from students, the manner in which
   criticism is expressed is important. Show respect by acknowledging your professor’s point of
   view and then offering your own for consideration.
 • Regular attendance at all classes and good note-taking skills will help you be a successful
   student. It may help to tape-record class sessions for later playback.
 • Ask your instructor for clarification if you do not understand. Within reason, ask that important
   points be repeated if they are presented too fast for you to comprehend or to write down.
 • Pay close attention to instructions given at the beginning of the course about how the class will
   be conducted and how grades will be determined.
 • Expect to receive a syllabus for each course. The syllabus outlines the course’s objectives, the
   material to be covered, and lists due dates for assignments, examination dates, texts to be
   purchased or obtained from the library, and the professor’s name, office location and office
   hours. Keep the course syllabus for the duration of the course. Course documentation may be
   kept on Blackboard 9 (, an online system used for information
   sharing by faculty and students.

   Academic Integrity
 Plagiarism is the use of another’s words or ideas without acknowledgment of their source.
 Although in some cultures, incorporating the works of revered scholars is an important part
 of academic writing, it is not acceptable in the United States. In fact, it is considered a
 serious offense. The consequences of proven or even suspected plagiarism can be severe
 (for example, a failing grade or expulsion from class or university). Borrowed words and
 ideas must always be clearly documented. If you expect to experience writing difficulties,
 you should get help as soon as possible from the Center for Learning Resources writing lab
 (see next page).

 The university expects its students to adhere to the academic integrity policy which includes
 not cheating on tests, not copying information from the internet, and citing sources of
 information. Please see the academic integrity policy:

   Center for Learning Resources (CLR)
As part of your registration process, you will be assigned a faculty advisor from the school in
which you are enrolled who will help you select the specific courses that you should be
taking. If you find during the semester that you are having some academic problems, we
suggest you visit the Center for Learning Resources, located in the Marvin K. Peterson
Library. This office has staff who can advise you, who can arrange tutors for you, and who
offer free workshops on such subjects as improving your study skills, taking tests, and
writing research papers. They offer a Math, Science and Business Lab; a Writing Lab;
and a Computer Lab. Note: “Graduate-level support is predominantly restricted to the Writing Lab and
Computer Lab and does not typically cover class-based content”

   Writing Proficiency Exam – WPE
Undergraduates take note! In order to graduate you must take and pass the WPE. All
students must take this examination during the first semester after the completion of 57
credits hours. You will be asked to write an impromptu theme. To prepare for the exam
contact the Center for Learning Resources. They can provide tips and information. If you
fail, you must take the WPE again the next time it is offered.

   Resources (Computers)
Information Technology provides for the computing needs of both academic and
administrative users by maintaining a number of computer labs. The largest installation of
general use computers and (pay-for-use) color and black & white printers is the Marvin K.
Peterson Library. Installed software includes web browsers, Microsoft Office, SPSS, and
other university-standard software. There are also Apple iMacs in the Library, Bartels Hall
Lobby and in the Beckerman Recreation Center on the second floor. Additional labs located
throughout the campus are discipline-specific and used primarily for instruction. Laptop
computers may be borrowed at the library for use in the library only. There is a scanner
available for use in the library.

The UNH Bookstore is located in the same building as the campus police, on the front side
of the building. It is across the parking lot from the front of Maxcy Hall. The bookstore sells
textbooks for every semester/trimester for both undergraduate and graduate students. Both
new and used books are sold, although the used books usually sell out quickly. If the book
you need is out of stock, or was not ordered, they can make special arrangements to order
the book for you. The bookstore also sells exercise books and most learning supplies, as
well as university souvenirs. At the end of the semesters, the bookstore also buys back
used books, if you do not want to keep them. So, check with them before throwing books
away!! Useful resources for buying discount textbooks are:;

      Financial Aid and Tuition
 UNH offers students some opportunities to participate in on-campus employment to
 assist with financial needs. Undergraduates are eligible for bursary positions (hourly
 wage). Graduates are eligible for positions with an hourly wage plus 50% off tuition

 (Graduate Assistants) with the “Graduate Work Program.” However, while these
  positions are open to all graduate students, they have to apply to and be interviewed by
  the relevant departments. There are only two departments where international students
  can be accepted for administrative graduate assistantships: the International Services
  Office, and International Admissions. Besides these two administrative positions,
  international students can only apply to the teaching or research assistantships.
  Candidates are selected according to qualifications, and you may apply on the UNH
  Financial Aid website ( Job
  inquiries can be directed to the specific departments that need student assistants and
  students are encouraged to apply using forms available online or from the Financial Aid
  office in Maxcy’s Hall.

                                 PAYING FOR YOUR TUITION
                               Contact Information     Office Hours
                               Bursar’s Office         Monday thru Friday
                               Maxcy Hall, Room 109    8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
                               Phone: 203.932.7217     Fax: 203.931.6086

            Though the office closes at 4:30, you should arrive at the office by 4:15
            at the latest in order to have time for business to be conducted.

• The cost of tuition is non-negotiable. Payment is due according to the dates listed within your
  course booklet. Partial payment or a payment plan is not an acceptable substitute for a balance due.
• The Health Service Fee is due once a year, usually in the fall. It is a mandatory fee for international
• There are several forms of payment accepted in the Bursar’s Office. You may pay with cash, checks,
  traveler’s check and credit cards. The university accepts Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
  However, if you plan to split your payment up, please present only one form of payment at a time.
• Please keep your copies of all receipts and bills. And make sure to write down any additional
  information that the staff relates to you.
• In order to keep your time at the Bursar’s Office as streamlined and pleasant as possible, we ask
  that you do not crowd the counter. Only one student at a time should speak with a clerk. If your
  friends accompany you to the office, please have them wait in the hall while you conduct business.
  If you feel the need to have a friend with you for translation or payment needs, please make sure
  that only one of you speaks at a time and that your questions or instructions are clear.
• You can make a payment toward an account that is not your own. However the Bursar’s Office
  cannot tell you any information about that account, including the balance due. If you make a
  payment toward another student’s account, you cannot ask for a refund on that payment. If you
  wish reimbursement for your payment, you must contact the student whose bill you chose to pay.
• Though you can pay tuition with cash, it is not advisable to carry large amounts of cash around.
  Instead of carrying around large sums of cash you may want to get traveler’s checks or a cashier’s
• If you are paying your tuition through a wire transfer, please make sure the sender includes your
  name and student ID number with the transfer. When asking in the Bursar’s Office about the status
  of your wire, please make sure to bring information including the day the wire was sent, from what

  bank, and the exact amount of the wire.
    Wire Transfers: The Bursar’s Office is equipped to accept wire transfer payments
    directly from the bank. It is critical to notify the Bursar's Office when you plan to send a
    wire transfer so it can be properly identified and credited upon receipt. Please contact
    the Bursar's Office for wire transfer instructions.

 Refund policy
The refund policy for dropped classes is at
A copy of this policy will be posted on the bulletin board outside the Bursar’s Office.

The Bursar’s Office must follow FERPA guidelines. These rules state that we cannot give
information about your student account to anyone else. If you want a copy of your account,
a refund check, information on your balance, or transcripts, you must request these things
yourself. Do not send a friend to collect any of this information.

You should bring your University of New Haven issued Student ID card each time you
visit. Not only will having your ID card speed up the process of locating your account, but it
is necessary to complete certain transactions such as picking up a refund check.

    Student Activities
International Festival
    The beginning of spring brings the annual international festival at UNH, usually held in
    April. The International Festival is a celebration of the diversity that exists on campus,
    with displays, food and entertainment from more than 20 countries, clubs and

    The International Festival promotes intercultural understanding among international
    students and also exposes American students to the world beyond the U.S. borders.
    It’s a chance for students, faculty, staff and community members to come together to
    enjoy an evening of cultural presentations.

    The International Student Association invites you to participate in this grand event in
    any way you can, whether it's dancing, setting up, serving food or planning. You won't
    want to miss one of the biggest and best attended events on campus!

Weekend Trips
    The university has periodic weekend trips to neighboring towns and cities as well as to
    theme parks, shopping outlets, and Broadway shows. International Services Office

   (ISO) or Student Activities and the Graduate Student Council (see below for more
   information) will advertise up-coming trips in which students can participate.

Movies at UNH
   Movies are screened at Alumni Lounge or Dodd’s Hall Theater on Fridays and
   Sundays. Check Student Activities for what’s going on. For more information go to
   this website:

Stuff to do
   Student Activities has a list of what’s going on and when! For more information, see
   their website:

   The Beckerman Recreation Center is free for students with your UNH ID card, and
   offers fitness equipment and classes, a racquetball court, a running/walking track, two
   full size activity courts (basketball/volleyball/badminton) and intramural team sports.
   The Rec Center also offers a juice bar and use of iMac computers. For more
   information and hours, check out the website:

   Activities for students are also posted on boards in various buildings around campus.

Sororities and Fraternities for Undergraduate Students
   Sororities                                    Fraternities
   Chi Kappa Rho                                 Delta Sigma Alpha
   Delta Epsilon Beta                            Delta Chi
                                                 Kappa Gamma Rho

Clubs and Sports
   Cultural and Ethnic Organizations
       • Black Student Union                             • Indian Student Council
       • Caribbean Student Association                   • UNH Saudi Student Club
       •  International Student Association              • CSSA (Chinese Student and Scholar Association)
       • Latin American Student Association
   Service Organizations
      • Undergraduate Student Government Association (USGA)
      • Graduate Student Council (GSC)
              o   Meetings every other Wednesday in Kaplan Hall room 109. See website
         or facebook page for more info.
      •   A-Team (Admissions Team)
      •   Smile (Students Making an Impact in their Living Environment)
      •   UNH Harmonies

      •   Gospel Choir
        •   Charger Pep Band
        •   UNH Marching Band

     Academic & Professional Organizations
        • Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
        • Music & Entertainment Industry Student Assoc.
        • American Criminal Justice Assoc.
        • National Society of Black Engineers
        • Communications Club
        • SADHA – Dental Hygiene
        • Fire Science Club
        • Sports Industries Management Club
        • Society of Fire Protection Engineers
        • Society for Hispanic Professional Engineers
        • College Republicans Forensic Science & Chemistry Club
        • Travel Tourism Club
        • Astronomy Club
        • PIRO – Paranormal Investigation and Research Organization
        • SHRM – Society for Human Resource Management
        • IEEE – Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineering
        • Society of Success and Leadership
        • UNH Toastmasters Club

     Media Organizations
       • Charger Bulletin Weekly Newspaper
       • Chariot Year Book
       • WNHU – 88.7 FM (radio station)

        Baseball                           * Basketball              * Cross Country
     * Indoor/outdoor track                * Golf                      Women’s Softball
     * Soccer                              * Volley Ball               Women’s Tennis
       Women’s Lacrosse

     * Male and Female teams
     (see the New Haven Chargers website:

Campus Ministry is your source for information on religious services and programs and to
discuss religious concerns. Contact: (203) 931-6040

     American Methodist Episcopal
     Bethel A M E Church, 255 Goffe St, New Haven, (203) 865-0514

     Varick A M E Zion, 246 Dixwell Ave, New Haven, (203) 624-9384
Assemblies of God
Star of Jacob Christian Church, 506 Howard Ave, New Haven, (203) 562-7066
Whitney Christian Life Center, 691 Whitney Ave, Hamden, (203) 772-1800

Baha’i Community of Greater New Haven, (203) 389-7777

First Baptist Church, 39 Emma Street, West Haven, (203) 933-8363
First Baptist Church in New Haven, Livingston & Edwards, New Haven, (203) 562-0069
First Baptist Church of West Haven, 308 Center St, West Haven, (203) 934-4381

Shambhala Medition Group of New Haven, 230 Ridge Road, Hamden, (203) 230-1869
Zen Center of New Haven, 193 Mansfield St, New Haven, (203) 787-0912

Christian and Missionary Alliance
Christian and Missionary Alliance, 109 Bull Hill Lane, West Haven, (203) 933-4037

Christian Science
First Church of Christ Scientist, 950 Chapel Street, New Haven, (203) 624-6527

Congregational (United Church of Christ)
Center Church on the Green, 311 Temple St, New Haven, (203) 787-0121
First Congregational Church of West Haven, 1 Church St, West Haven, (203) 933-6291
United Church on the Green, 323 Temple St, New Haven, (203) 787-4195

Christ Church, 84 Broadway, New Haven, (203) 865-6354
Christ Episcopal Church, 28 Church St, West Haven, (203) 934-3437
St. John’s By- The- Sea, 546 Ocean Ave, West Haven, (203) 934-1426
Trinity Church on the Green, 129 Temple St, New Haven, (203) 624-3101

New Life Evangelical Free Church, 255 Jones Hill Rd, West Haven, (203) 934-3022

Friends (Quaker)
New Haven Friends Meeting House, 223 E. Grand Ave, New Haven, (203) 468-7364

Full Gospel
Living Word Ministries, 225 Meloy Road, West Haven, (203) 934-9673

Greek Orthodox
St. Barbara Greek Orthodox, 480 Race Brook Rd, Orange, (203) 795-1347

Gateway Christian Fellowship, 129 Bull Hill Lane, West Haven, (203) 934-0880
Vineyard Christian Fellowship, 870 First Ave, West Haven, (203) 933-7066

New Haven Islamic Center, 2 Pruden St, West Haven, (203) 937-5799
Masjid Al-Islam, 624 George St, New Haven, (203) 777-8004

Jehovah’s Witnesses
Jehovah’s Witnesses (City Point) 1123 Grasso Blvd, New Haven, (203) 777-1657
Orange Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, (203) 799-1508

   Jewish (Conservative)
   Congregation Beth El Keser Israel, 85 Harrison, New Haven, (203) 389-2108
   Congregation Sinai, 426 Washington Ave, West Haven, (203) 934-7946

   Jewish (Messianic)
   Simchat Yisrael, 870 First Ave, West Haven, (203) 932-9929
   Jewish (Orthodox)
   The Westville Synagogue, 74 W. Prospect St, New Haven, (203) 389-9513
   Bikur Cholim Sheveth Achim, 112 Marvel Rd, New Haven, (203) 387-4699

   Jewish (Reform)
   Congregation Mishkan Israel, 785 Ridge Rd, Hamden, (203) 288-3877
   Temple Emanuel of Greater New Haven, 150 Derby Ave, Orange, (203) 397-3000

   First Lutheran Church, 52 George St, West Haven, (203) 933-2380
   Trinity Lutheran, 292 Orange St, New Haven, (203) 787-6521

   Morman (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
   First Ward (Greater New Haven) 990 Racebrook Rd, Woodbridge, (203) 387-7799

   Beulah Heights 1 Pentecostal, 806 Orchard St, New Haven, (203) 787-3393
   Christ Christian Church, 85 Fenwick St, West Haven, (203) 397-3381
   Christian Fellowship Church of God, 1229 Campbell Ave, West Haven, (203) 934-2808
   House of Jacob 1 Church, 142 Canton St, West Haven, (203) 933-3964

   Christ Presbyterian Church, 135 Whitney Ave, New Haven (203) 777-6960
   First Presbyterian Church, 704 Whitney Ave, New Haven, (203) 562-5664

   Roman Catholic
   Our Lady of Victory, 600 Jones Hill Road, West Haven, (203) 934-6357
   St. Lawrence, 207 Main St, West Haven, (203) 934-8351
   St. Paul, 41 Alling St, West Haven, (203) 933-1024

   United Methodist
   First United Methodist Church, 89 Center St, West Haven, (203) 933-8795
   Wesley United Methodist Church, 621 Savin Ave, West Haven, (203) 933-1198

 Places to See and Go

Cinemas           Connecticut Post Mall Cinemas Deluxe, 1201 Boston Post Rd., Milford (203) 878-8795
                  Criterion Cinema, 86 Temple Street, New Haven (203) 498-2500
                  Showcase Cinemas, 550 Universal Drive, North Haven (203) 234-8000
                  Fairmount Theater, 33 Main Street Anx, New Haven (203) 467-3832
                  Cine 1-2-3-4, 371 Middletown Ave, New Haven (203) 776-5546
                  Regal (Hoyts) Cinemas 12, 325 East Main St, Branford (203) 481-4089

Bars & Clubs      Bar, 254 Crown St, New Haven (203) 495-8924
(Some have        Toads Place, 300 York St, New Haven (203) 624-TOAD
Live Music)       Alchemy 223 College St, New Haven (203) 777-9400
                  Gotham Citi Café, 128 Crown St, New Haven (203) 498-2484
                  Stella Blues Café, 204 Crown St, New Haven (203) 752-9764

                  Anna Liffey’s, Whitney Ave, New Haven
                  Wicked Wolf, 144 Temple St, New Haven (203) 752-0450
                  Keys to the city, Long Wharf, 240 Sargent Dr., New Haven (203) 562-8027
                  Fire & Ice Hookah Lounge, 80 Campbell Ave., West Haven (203) 931-0270
                  Delaney’s Taproom, 882 Whalley Ave, New Haven, (203) 397-5494
                  Westside Bar and Grill, 883 Whalley Ave, New Haven, (203) 387-9378
                  The Brick Alley Tavern, 631 Campbell Ave, West Haven, (203) 931-1777
                  Prime 16, 172 Temple St, New Haven, (203) 782-1616

Places to Visit

West Haven Beach, walking, skating, restaurants, and Savin Rock Museum
Beinecke Library, Yale Campus. Invaluable displays include Gutenberg Bible, original Audubon
bird prints, and medieval manuscripts. Modern, windowless building admits sun through inch-
thick marble panels.
East Rock Park, East Rock Rd. (I-91 Willow St. Exit)
Site of city's arboretum, lovely Rose Garden, hiking trails, bird sanctuary, picnic and recreational
facilities. Summit affords magnificent view of harbor and Long Island Sound.
Hours: Open daylight, all year.
Cost: Free
West Rock Nature Recreation Center, Wintergreen Ave. (I-95 Exit 43) Year round center has
native birds, reptiles, mammals, a nature building, and a zoo.
Hours: Open daily, park, 9 a.m. to hour after sunset.
Cost: Free
Yale Center for British Art, 1080 Chapel St. (I-95 Exit 47) Paintings, drawings, prints, and rare
books, sculpture: gift of Paul Mellon. Collection reflects English art, life and thought from the
Elizabethan period to mid-19th century.
Hours: Tues. - Sat. 10-5, Sun. 2-5. Closed Mondays and major holidays.
Cost: Free
Contact: (203) 432-4594 or (203) 432-2800
Peabody Museum of Natural History (Yale), 170 Whitney Ave. (I-91 Exit 3)
Outstanding exhibits in geology, ecology, and natural history. Largest natural history painting
exhibit in the world.
Hours: Mon. - Sat. 9-5, Sun. 1-5. Closed on major holidays.
Cost: Free Mon., Wed., Fri. Other days: adults $7.50, children $2.50.
Contact: (203) 432-5050
Yale University (I-95 exit 47)
Guided one-hour walking tours of historic campus - including Connecticut Hall where Nathan
Hale, William Howard Taft, and Noah Webster studied - start at Phelps Gateway, off College St.
at New Haven Green.
Hours: Open seven days a week, groups by appointment.
Cost: Free.
Contact: (203) 432-2300 (for schedule information)
Yale University Art Gallery, Chapel St. (I-95 exit 47)
Nation's oldest college art museum which showcases outstanding collections of American and

European art of all periods, African sculpture, Pre-Columbian art, and Eastern Art.
Hours: Year-round Tues. - Sat. 10-5, Sun. 1-6, Thurs. 10-8.
(Gallery tours Tues. and Thurs.)
Closed Mondays and major holidays.
Cost: Free
Contact: (203) 432-0600

   U.S. Holidays
       *New Year's Day – January 1st
       *Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday – January 15th
        Chinese New Year – Between January 21st and February 19th
        Valentine's Day - February 14th
        Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday – February 12th
        President's Day - Third Monday in February
        George Washington’s Birthday – February 22nd
        Mardi Gras – February/March
       *Easter Sunday - Date varies Around March
        Native American Pow wows - March through August
        April Fool's Day - April 1st People may play harmless practical jokes on each other.
        Arbor Day – In April, close to April 22nd or on that day
        Jewish Passover – In April, date varies
        Cinco De Mayo – May 5th
        Mother’s Day – Second Sunday in May
       *Memorial Day – Last Monday in May
        Flag Day – June 14th
        Father’s Day – Third Sunday In June
       *Independence Day - July 4th
       *Labor Day - The first Monday of September
        Rosh Hashana - Jewish New Year, date varies
        Yom Kippur - Jewish Day of Atonement, date varies
        Halloween - October 31st
       *Veteran’s Day – November 11th
       *Thanksgiving Day - The last Thursday in November
        Hanukkah - Usually in December, date varies
       *Christmas – December 25th

       *Holiday observed by UNH—university is closed

   Getting To Know Americans
Visiting an American Home
  You will probably have opportunities to visit an American home. Your prospective hosts will

  phone you, speak to you in person, or send you a written invitation. The invitation is usually for
 you only unless your hosts specifically invite your family or friends. Bringing guests of your
 own without asking your host’s permission ahead of time is considered impolite. The written
 invitation will include the date, time, place, and a description of the occasion. You should
 always answer a written invitation, especially if it says RSVP (réspondez, s’il vous plait –
 please reply). It is polite to notify your host of any last minute change of plans, and of any
 dietary restrictions you have. In the United States, you should never say that you would attend
 unless you plan to do so. It may also be appropriate to confirm the invitation a day or two
 before the occasion. If you do not know what clothing would be appropriate for the occasion,
 simply ask, "What should I wear?"

 Punctuality is usually essential, especially if you have been invited for a meal or for a cocktail
 party. You may be thought inconsiderate and impolite if you do not arrive at the appointed
 hour. Again, it is a very good idea to notify your hosts if you cannot avoid being late. Upon
 arrival, you may find that there is a cocktail hour before dinner. During this period hors
 d'oeuvres (small appetizers, often with crackers) and cocktails are served. You will usually be
 asked what type of drink you would prefer. You may have an alcoholic or non-alcoholic
 beverage. If a non-alcoholic beverage is not offered, it is acceptable to ask your host for one.

 At the dinner table, if there is ever any question of proper manners, simply follow the example
 of your host. If you have any dietary restrictions, you should inform your hosts at the time that
 you accept the invitation. Never hesitate to ask for any food on the dinner table ("Would you
 please pass me the vegetables?") since a request for more food is considered a compliment to
 the hosts.

 Gifts are usually welcome. If you have been invited to dinner you may bring a bottle of wine or
 flowers. Always bring a small gift when you are invited as a houseguest for an extended visit.
 If a dinner invitation is more casual, you might want to ask, “Can I bring something?” Your host
 may ask you to bring some portion of the meal like the dessert or an appetizer. This kind of
 “potluck” dinner, where everyone contributes a portion of the meal, is common.

 Unless a special party has been planned, it is polite to leave your host's home from one to two
 hours after dinner is completed. If it is very late when you finish dinner, leave within an hour. If
 you are asked to stay longer, feel free to do so. If it is a more formal event, a thank you note to
 your hosts is appropriate. A handwritten note expressing how much you enjoyed the evening
 and the meal is sufficient. It should be addressed to all those hosting the event. For a more
 casual evening an in-person comment-expressing appreciation for an invitation will suffice.

 If the host is preparing the meal by him/herself, it is polite to ask if you may help with any
 preparations. Guests should offer their help in cleaning up after dinner. Your hosts will tell you
 whether they need help or not. Always abide by their wishes.

 Here are some general ideas about gift-giving customs in the U.S. Knowing them can
 help avoid awkward situations.

  •     To whom are gifts given? As a rule, gifts are given to relatives and close friends. They are
        sometimes given to people with whom one has a casual but friendly relationship, such as
        a host. Gifts are not usually given to teachers or others who hold an official position. The
        offering of gifts in these situations is sometimes interpreted as an effort, possibly

        improper, to gain favorable treatment from that person.
   •   When are gifts given? Christmas is a time of year when you can feel most free to give
       gifts to others. It is when most Americans, with exception of adherents of non-Christian
       religions, give gifts. Otherwise, gifts are given on occasions that are special to the
       recipient - birthdays, graduation from high school or college, weddings and childbirth.
       Gifts are sometimes given when someone has a new house or is moving away.

   •   What gifts are appropriate? Generally, an effort is made to select a gift that the giver
       knows or supposes is one the recipient needs, wants, or would enjoy. The amount spent
       on the gift is something the giver can afford; it is not expected that people on limited
       incomes spend large amounts on gifts. Expensive gifts are to be expected only when the
       people involved have a very close relationship with each other.

   •   How are gifts acknowledged? If a gift is opened in the presence of the giver (as is often
       done), a verbal expression of thanks is appropriate. If a gift is opened in the absence of a
       giver, a thank-you note should be sent. The note should make specific mention of the
       particular gift that has been sent.

Names and Titles
First names are used in the United States more frequently than elsewhere. People may
call each other by their first names immediately after they have met. These general rules

  •    Address people your own approximate age and status by their first names.

  •    If the other person has a title such as “ambassador” or “dean,” use the title and the
       last name. For example Senator Joe Lieberman should be addressed as Senator
       Lieberman. Any faculty member can be addressed as “professor” whether he or
       she holds the rank of assistant professor, associate professor, or full professor. If
       the person requests to be called by a first name, you should abide by that wish.
       The Americans’ ready use of first names may make it appear to you that they are
       oblivious to differences in age and social status. They are not. There are subtle
       differences in vocabulary and manner, depending on the relationship between the
       people involved. For example, an American is less likely to use slang or obscenities
       when speaking to a person who is older, whose social standing is higher, or who is
       not an acquaintance.

Friendship and Dating
  Americans are generally considered open and warm people who make new
  acquaintances easily.       Because they are very mobile, however, Americans'
  relationships are often quite casual and informal. That is to say, lasting friendships are
  often few.

   Relations between men and women in the United States are often informal. Couples
   go out alone in the evening to attend a movie, concert, lecture, or party; students may
   get together to study and a woman may ask a man out on a date. Often expenses are
   shared regardless of who has made the invitation.

   There are no blueprints for dating Americans. If you want to get to know someone, it is
   often wise to ask the person to join you for coffee or a soda or to get together to study.
   Such short events may prove to be the beginning of a strong and durable friendship. If
   confused, a frank, honest approach is the best policy. By expressing your feelings or
   intentions you may avoid greater embarrassment later. If your date appears interested
   in a sexual relationship and you are not, it is very important that you say no clearly. If
   someone seems to be saying no to you, listen. Unwanted sexual attention is a very
   serious matter in the United States. Do not interpret the acceptance of a date as
   anything more than an agreement to meet at a certain time and place and to spend
   some time together. If in doubt, consult an American friend or the International Student

  Culture Shock
    Everyone experiences some form of “culture shock” when confronted with new and
    unfamiliar people and situations. The disorientation and confusion most students
    experience may lead to withdrawal, depression, as well as excitement and increased
    energy. You may experience these feelings in one day or over many months.

    It’s important to keep in mind that this is a common experience among new
    international students and that it is also temporary. While there may be unhappy
    moments, adjusting to a new culture will bring many rewards later.

    Here are some tips that should help:
    • Don’t have unrealistic expectations about your experience. Throw out your expectations
       and unexpected rewards will begin to appear.
    • Remember that you determine your experience. A sense of humor, patience, and
       tolerance for ambiguity will make cultural adjustment a much easier process.
    • Ask questions of both experienced foreigners and of Americans. Ask a second person if
       you don’t get your answer from your first source. Keep asking!
    • View yourself as a teacher. Look at your stay as an opportunity to teach Americans about
       your culture. They may be misinformed so be patient.
    • Keep a journal to describe your experiences and feelings. Find a quiet place and spend
       time asking yourself questions: Am I judging? What are the commonalties between
       cultures? The differences? What have I learned about diversity?

   If you ever have any questions, please call the International
Services Office at (203) 932-7475 or email


Shared By: