PUBLICITY & PUBLIC
Using positive publicity to their financial
• Newsworthy items
• Gaining public attention
• Regarding organization, employees, products or
connection to charity (associations)
Role of Publicity
• Principal function is to build a image
• Image is the way the organization is defined in one’s
• Transparent – more likely to pay attention?
• Disadvantage – control over the message
• Feeling of approval or support
• Prestige an organization acquires beyond the value of
what it sells.
Public Relations (Community Relations)
• How an organization relates to the public.
• Activities designed to create goodwill toward the
• Fast Food franchises
• Home Depot Sniper
• HFD Open House
• Can you name any instances of good or bad publicity?
• Public or Media Relations
• White House Press Secretary
Page 54 in book
• 6 situations regarding public relations