UH HILO FACULTY CONGRESS
MINUTES FOR MEETING OF NOVEMBER 30th, 2007
3:00 pm - 5:00 pm, K-127
Members Present: Michael Bitter, Jason Cabral, Emmeline dePillis, Sevki Erdogan,
Ramon Figueroa-Centeno, Raina Ivanova, Jim Juvik, Barbara Leonard, Gail Makuakane-
Lundin, Chuck Malenfant, Bruce Matthews, Cam Muir, Mark Panek, Regina Titunik.
UHHSA Members: Georgia Pinsky
Meeting called to order in Executive Session by Chair Barbara Leonard, 3:01 pm.
Executive Session was finished approximately 4:00 p.m. and the meeting was
then opened to non-members.
1. Approval of Minutes from October 19, 2007 was deferred to the next Congress
2. Report from Regina Titunik, Chair of General Education Committee, discussed
progress towards a proposal for a new general education curriculum.
3. Report from Emmeline dePillis, Chair of the Admission Committee, discussed
progress on reviewing admission standards.
4. Report from Mike Bitter, Chair of the Academic Policy Committee, discussed
tenure and promotion guidelines/issues.
5. Report from Sevki Erdogan, Acting Chair of the Assessment Committee,
discussed assessment processes and the upcoming WASC visit.
6. Report from Barbara Leonard, Chair of the Budget Committee. No report.
7. The executive committee discussed plans to hold a joint faculty senate forum
January 18, 2008 from 3-5 pm to discuss General Education, Assessment,
Tenure and Promotion Issues, and Ways to Improve our Retention and 6 Year
8. The executive committee moved that Faculty Congress specially recognize the
Regent’s Medal teaching award that will be presented to Dr. Raina Ivanova at
RESOLUTION OF APPRECIATION FOR DR. RAINA IVANOVA
WHEREAS, Dr. Raina Ivanova has been selected as the 2007 recipient of the
Board of Regents’ Medal for Excellence in Teaching for the University of Hawaii
at Hilo; and
WHEREAS, Dr. Raina Ivanova has been recognized for her extraordinary level of
subject mastery and scholarship, teaching effectiveness and creativity, and
personal values beneficial to students; be it
RESOLVED, that the University of Hawaii Faculty Congress congratulates Dr.
Raina Ivanova in being selected for this prestigious award, and be it further
RESOLVED, that the University of Hawaii Faculty Congress extends its warmest
aloha and appreciation for all the good work and service accomplishments of Dr.
Raina Ivanova and look forward to working with her in the future.
Motion passed, 13 yes, 1 no, 0 abstentions.
9. Mike Bitter shared a resolution from UHHSA with a statement against the
UARC. Faculty Congress decided to discuss endorsing this statement with the
faculty in their division before voting on a resolution of endorsement.
4:58 pm: Meeting adjourned by Chair, Barbara Leonard.