2002 Evaluation of Department Chair: __________________
Name of Department
Professorial Faculty ___ Instructor ___ Office Staff ___ Research Staff ___
The questions below have been designed to obtain an appropriate and fair evaluation of
College of Basic Science administrators and the effectiveness of the units for which they
have oversight responsibilities. The College Policy and Planning Committee will review
the responses and provide a summary to the Dean. At a later date this academic year the
Dean will convene a meeting with Departmental faculty and staff to share the results of
the process. This will be an annual evaluation as part of the College's ongoing
assessment of planning and management. We hope this will be a constructive process,
and welcome any written comments you may wish to include with this form. All
responses will be anonymous and confidential.
5 4 3 2 1
Strongly Agree Agree Neutral Disagree Strongly Disagree
Please rank your response to each question using the above scale. Leave blank any
questions that you do not have an opinion on, or lack sufficient information to generate
an opinion on. Additional written comments are encouraged.
1) According to your standards, the chairperson perceives the duties and authority of the
2) You are satisfied with the quality of the chairperson's leadership including:
a) advocacy with upper administration, alumni, and external funding sources;
b) fostering new initiatives;
c) creation of a positive professional working environment.
3) Faculty, staff, and students have adequate opportunities to participate in the formation,
implementation and assessment of departmental objectives, policies, and procedures.
4) The chairperson distributes resources to appropriately support departmental teaching,
research and service activities within the constraints of annual budgets, endowments, and
unrestricted grants and gifts.
5) Teaching, service, and administrative assignments and responsibilities are made fairly
6) The Department's undergraduate and graduate recruiting, supervision, advising, and
counseling effectively meet goals.
7) The Chairperson uses faculty and staff Annual Performance Evaluations in an
appropriate fashion. Merit raises, given budgetary constraints, reflect this.
5 4 3 2 1
Excellent Good Fair Poor Unacceptable
8) My overall rating of the Chairperson's performance is:
9) My overall rating of the Department's performance is:
Which matters within the department need priority attention?
Please provide any additional comments in the space below or on a separate sheet.