Vocabulary #6a Worksheet
English 9 Honors
1. Although many misguided people enjoyed the film The Notebook, I found it
_______________ and shallow; it actually made me want to break up with my
2. The FBI held _______________ meetings so there was no possibility that their work
could fall into the hands of the enemy.
3. For many students, homework is a _______________ task, done without interest,
skill or effort.
4. Katherine’s face was always so _______________, it was near impossible to tell how
she was feeling; it was like a blank slate, completely without emotion.
5. Charlie tries to ignore his little brother, but the insipid child continues to
_______________ him by poking him in the eye with a sharp stick.
6. While many teachers believed a strong martini was the _______________ for all the
ills of the profession, our teacher found that giving the children a good beating was
much more therapeutic.
7. Noah threw Sloppy Joes across the cafeteria creating the most massive and
destructive food fight ESHS has ever seen; such _______________ behavior was
deserving of extreme punishment.
8. The wedding banquet included a _______________ of shellfish - oysters, mussels,
shrimp, lobsters, and scallops piled three feet high.
9. Because Ms. Gerber is older than the dinosaurs, she tends to have some pretty
_______________ thoughts and opinions, stuff that just doesn’t have a place in the
10. “I’m sorry, sorry, sorry,” cried a _______________ Morgan, as she beat Nicole to a
bloody pulp. “Believe me; this hurts me more than it does you.”
11. While working at my second job as a pizza delivery person, I arrived at the lavish
private compound the Lopez family called home. I was amazed by the
_______________ of the furnishings - silk fabric, chandeliers, and diamond-studded
mirrors. That Hannah sure knows how to live.
12. Cassie constantly challenges her teachers, indeed, she questions the very institution of
education; Cassandra is considered something of a _______________.
13. Joey’s heart was filled with nothing but _______________ towards his fellow
football players; if he were honest, he’d admit that he wished they would suffer head
injuries and several broken bones.
14. Rachel was filled with _______________ upon discovering a doe-eyed, wet,
shivering, and scrawny Paul at her door; she could hardly refuse the poor creature.
15. Ms. Gerber’s long-winded lessons and pointless lectures were a stark contrast to Ms.
Byrd’s _______________ teaching style.
16. Nate Dogg can only tell Jonathan “I love you” so many times before it becomes
_______________ and meaningless.
17. Every time my dad tries to tell me what to do, he assumes an _______________
voice, like a king who could scare me into obeying him.
18. Hoping to flatter her prey into submission, Yvie acted like Alyssa’s servant, obeying
her every demand in the most _______________ manner.
19. Helen of Troy was considered the loveliest woman on earth, the _______________ of
beauty, the model by which all others would be judged.
20. Opaque in speech, and obscure in reasoning, the confused professor challenged our
understandings with a profoundly _______________ mathematical explanation; we