Whiting William and LH urlburt by Jean Hafner by 2Mpof4CX


									William E. Whiting, Lydia B. Hurlburt
Most of the information on these families comes from the Whiting Genealogy (3)
and Christensen's book (1). See also Whiting, English, Babcock/Hurlburt for more
on Elisha's son's family and details about the attacks on the Mormons. Any quotes
below, unless otherwise noted, come from Christensen.

Massachusetts to Ohio
The Elisha Whiting Jr. and Sylvanus Hulet families originated in New England.
Sylvanus Hulet (Sally's father) had served in the Revolutionary War from 1779-
1780*. In 1814, the Sylvanus Hulet family migrated west from Massachusetts to
Nelson Township, Portage Co., Ohio. In 1817, Elisha Whiting Jr. and his young
wife, Sally Hulet Whiting, joined them. The Whitings built a prosperous farm there
on heavily forested land. He built, as part of their generous log home, a wagon shop.
It isn't known what religious affiliation they had, but they could not have been
Mormons until 1830 when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was
established. Meanwhile, the church at Nelson Center provided a place for services of
various denominations, and the children attended school.

* Christensen includes a pension application dated June 14, 1819, in which Sylvanus
Hulet states that he enlisted for nine months on about July 8, 1779 in Massachusetts,
served under Capt. Abram Williams in a company in the regiment of Col. Sprout,
and was discharged at Fishkill, NY on April 10, 1780. The application was published
in Hulet History Bulletin #2, October 1960, page 7.
During the year 1814, Sylvanus Hulet [Sally's Hulet's father] moved his family from
Massachusetts to Nelson Township in Portage County, Ohio. Being a Revolutionary
War veteran, he received one hundred and sixty acres there. Judging by distances
described by members of the family, the Hulet farm must have been in the eastern
part of Nelson.

The Whiting family had remained at Lee, Mass., where on 16 August 1815, Sally
gave birth to their second daughter. They named her Harriet Amelia. In 1817, the
Whiting family followed the Hulets to Nelson, Ohio. (The obituary of Catherine
Louisa said in the early spring of 1817.)

The Whiting family traveled by wagon over the Mohawk Trail. That meant that
when Elisha and Sally took their five young children in the wagon, they joined
[journeyed?] up the Mohawk Valley and then westward over what would soon
become the route of the Erie Canal. It was perhaps a three week journey. Catherine
Louisa was three years old, but she could later remember about riding in the big
covered wagon. The Indians did not molest them and they arrived safely. Family
story has been that the Whitings took up temporary residence at the Hulet farm.
There on 23 July 1817, Sally Emeline Whiting was born to Elisha and Sally in
Nelson Township.

Elisha Whiting chose a pleasant spot on a gently sloping hill to erect his log cabin.
At the foot of the hill was a spring of clear cold water, so he had no need to dig a
well. The home had two rooms on the ground floor, one room for a shop and the
other for living quarters. That room had a large fireplace reaching nearly across
one end. There was no cookstove. Like other women, Sally cooked at the open
fireplace which was equipped with a crane that would swing out and in over the
fire. Iron hooks were attached to the crane to hang the kettles on. Bread was baked
in a kettle covered with coals.

Around the room were beds, table, cupboard and the big chest that they kept their
clothes in. They had also brought an old-fashioned bureau made of black walnut. It
was the pride of Sally's heart. She also had a mirror hanging above a shelf. Sally
was proud of her new home. Up the steps there was a trap door into the loft where
the boys slept. A trundle bed was pushed under the big bed which the little girls

Chancey Whiting was born there 19 August 1819. In the after years, he wrote of the
circumstances surrounding his birth. He wrote, "My father emigrated to Portage
County, Ohio. He selected a location in Nelson Township where he opened a small
farm in a heavily timbered section of the country. In the meantime, he built a double
log house, one room of which he used for a dwelling, the other for a wagon shop. It
was in that building that I was born."

A lumber schoolhouse had been built at the Nelson Center. It seems most likely that
the younger Hulet children and the older Whitings attended that school. Although
more settlers continued to come to Ohio, Portage County remained largely a land of
forest and stream. School was held in the summer time when it was easier for the
children to find their way along the narrow roads through the forest. Church
services of various denominations were also held at the schoolhouse.

By that time [~1820] the three oldest Whiting boys were twelve, eleven and nine
years of age. They had all learned to work and the log home-shop had been
expanded a bit. Another room for the girls had been made in the attic above. The
       family made tallow candles to light the house at nights. Earlier, they had used pine
       knots. Catherine Louisa was six, Harriet was five, Emeline three and Chauncey one
       year old. The evenings were spent around the fireside where the children listened to
       stories by their parents.

Ohio and Missouri
According to Christensen, Sylvanus Hulet died at Nelson, Ohio, on November 10,
1824 and was buried in Abbot Cemetery. As mentioned elsewhere, Joseph Smith, the
founder of the LDS, was said to have had a revelation that a new Zion was to be
created at Independence, Missouri (in Clay County). Followers began to settle the
area in 1831. Most of the Hulets, including Sylvanus's wife, children, a grandson,
and nephew (Elisha's oldest son, William E. Whiting, and his wife, Lydia Hurlburt,
and their son, Edmond) were part of this migration. They left for Missouri in 1832
and settled at the Whitmer Settlement about 6 miles west of Independence.
Meanwhile, Elisha Whiting and Sally Hulet Whiting stayed in Ohio but moved to
Windham. There Elisha, with his unmarried sons, were in the business of making
chairs and other furniture.

       At the time or shortly after the Hulet clan left Nelson Township and moved to
       Missouri [1832], Elisha and Sally Hulet Whiting moved with their unmarried
       children from Nelson to Windham. There Elisha engaged in the business of chair
       and furniture making. The great Ohio forests of hardwood supplied excellent

The Mormon settlements at first prospered, but the Missourians, who thought of the
Mormons as Yankees (anti-slavery), and who disapproved of their religious customs,
initiated attacks beginning on October 31, 1833. That night, the men were hounded
with clubs and stones and whipped. The women, including Lydia, her young son, and
her 5-week-old twin girls (Mary and Martha Whiting), were terrorized and driven out
into the woods to spend the night. Lydia said she could hear the roofs being torn off
their homes and the chair shop. On the more violent skirmish on November 4, 1833,
William E. was shot in the foot, the bones mangled, and he died a year later (see
Whiting, English, Babcock/Hurlburt for Lydia's affidavits).

William's father, Elisha Whiting Jr., moved his family to Clay County, Missouri in
1835 or 1836 and inquired about his son's death. Presumably, they had also joined
the Mormon Church and the community.

       Chancey Whiting wrote that his parents moved to Missouri in 1835 or 1836. (Letter
       to Mrs. Jensen). From that long letter we learn that they moved first to Clay County.
       Elisha inquired of the doctor who had attended William Whiting about William's
       death. Elisha and family did not remain long in Clay County. Persecution there had
       become great. Chancey Whiting said that before they left Clay County [moving to
       Caldwell County], Sally H. Whiting had packed a chest with some of their most
       precious possessions in it. The family Bible with their records was in the chest. She
       entrusted it to a supposed friend and the chest was never returned.

Northern Missouri and Illinois
The Mormon families retreated northeast to Caldwell County, Missouri, by1836.
Elisha, two of his sons, and a son-in-law bought and improved land there. Again,
they were driven out by Missourians in March 1839 (2) and retreated to the Morley
Settlement near Lima, Illinois. A map showing the main Mormon settlement area in
Caldwell County, and another showing probable exodus routes to Illinois, are
included in the section on the Whiting, English, Babcock/Hurlburt families.

       The family of Elisha Whiting, Jr. came to the Morley Settlement [near Lima,
       Illinois]. Elisha had the four sons who during the year 1839 became the following
       ages: Chancey, 20; Almond, 18; Sylvester, 12; and Francis Lewis, 8 years. In July,
       daughter Jane turned 15.

       Chancey, Almond and Sylvester Whiting were all old enough to give much help to
       Elisha Jr. Woodwork was his business. He no doubt had the tools and with that
       extra help, he undertook to build a larger than average home and shop.

Once again, friction developed between Mormons and non-Mormons, and by the fall
of 1845, Mormons were gathering in Nauvoo.

       President Solomon Hancock of Morley Settlement sent word to Brigham Young
       saying: "The mob have burned all the houses on the south side of the brook, and left
       last evening for Lima." Hancock said that the mob had threatened to return as soon
       as it was light the next day and burn everything south of Nauvoo. The mob did not
       return and fulfill their threat. However, some of the saints who had means to move
       began leaving the next day.

       At Nauvoo, the Council of Twelve Apostles issued the following notice to the
       brethren in and around Nauvoo:

               September 12, 1845
               To the Brethren in and about Nauvoo, Greeting:

               The Council of the Church requests every man who has a team to
               go immediately to the Morley Settlement, and act in concert with
               President Solomon Hancock in removing the sick, the women and
               children, goods and grain to Nauvoo.

               Brigham Young president

               (DHC VII page 44.3)

       Men with 134 teams responded and went to bring the homeless to Nauvoo. Some of
       the brethren at Morley Settlement were asked to remain behind and watch the
       movements of the mob. They were instructed to let the mob burn their homes but to
       try and trade their deeded properties for animals, wagons, grain or any movable

Mt. Pisgah, Iowa
A group of Whiting families left Nauvoo in March 1846, traveling west to Mt
Pisgah. Sally Hulet Whiting died there in August from an unidentified illness that
swept through the camp (Christensen, p 135). Elisha's sons (except for Edwin)
      finally had had enough of the persecution and suffering, left the church, and went
      west to Council Bluffs in about 1847.

             It was late in June [1847] when Almon Whiting, Edmond Whiting and Schuyler
             Hulet passed through the Winter Quarters [near present-day Omaha] area on their
             way back to Mt Pisgah [after having served in the "Mormon Battalion"].

             No record was kept of the sequence of family events at Mt Pisgah during that
             summer of 1847. After the death of Sally Hulet Whiting, Elisha married a widow.
             The family called her "Mother Head". Mary Cox Whiting told that the others (sons
             of Elisha) moved on west to the Bluffs as soon as they were able, but Edwin and his
             father remained at Mt Pisgah. It must have been that the loss of Sally Hulet and
             Sarah Ann Hulet was too discouraging for that part of the Hulet clan to continue
             with the church…

             Some time during that summer [1848], Elisha Whiting and his wife "Mother Head"
             died at Mt Pisgah and were buried in the cemetery on the hill above the town.

         1. Christensen, Clare B. Before and After Mt. Pisgah, Salt Lake City, 1979.
            LDS Family History Library call no. 929.273, C839c.
         2. Johnston, Clark V. Mormon Redress Petitions, Brigham Young University,
            Provo, Utah, 1992, LDS Family History Library call no. 977.8, K29j.
         3. Whiting, Karen Marie and Bud A. Whiting. Whiting Genealogy, unpublished,
            Paul, Idaho.

From Kimberlee Combs July 2001 The above is from www.swcp.com/~jhafner/

To top