RHUBARB FOOL WITH LEMONGRASS AND WHITE CHOCOLATE
Preparation Time 15 minutes + 30 minutes chilling
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Notes: A fool is a traditional springtime dessert. Here we’ve used spring rhubarb with
the unique fresh taste of lemongrass. I’ve given you an option to use up the remaining
rhubarb juice by making adult rhubarb lemonade which you can either serve with the
dessert or enjoy on it’s own.
700g rhubarb (about 10-12 stalks), washed and trimmed but not peeled
2 lemongrass stalks very finely chopped to almost a powder
½ cup (125g) sugar
1/3 cup icing sugar
150ml mascarpone cream
150ml crème fraîche*
4 tbsp white chocolate, grated or peeled into shavings
1. Cut rhubarb into 1 inch long pieces. Place rhubarb pieces, water, the regular
sugar and the lemongrass in a medium pan, cover, simmer and cook until pulpy -
usually this takes about 10 minutes.
2. Strain through a sieve and reserve all the juices and allow the pulp to cool down.
3. Add the icing sugar to the mascarpone and whisk in, then gently fold in the
crème fraîche and half the rhubarb.
4. Spoon the remaining rhubarb into four dishes or glasses and spoon the fool
mixture on top.
5. Refrigerate until cool and set, approximately 30 minutes.
6. Serve with chocolate shavings on top.
To make rhubarb lemonade: pass the reserved juice through a fine sieve; add the
juice of one lemon. Add 100ml of sweet dessert wine and chill well.
* If you can’t find crème fraiche in your local grocery store you can make your own. Place 1 cup
(250ml) whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of butter milk in a glass jar or ceramic bowl. Cover
tightly and leave on counter for 8-24 hours (do not refrigerate). Stir crème fraiche until smooth
and the consistency of thick yogurt. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.
The Cook’s Companion 905-849-9007 firstname.lastname@example.org www.thecookscompanion.ca