Course Number: BUSI 1307
Course Title: Personal Finance
Course Description: Personal financial issues including financial planning, insurance, budgeting,
credit, home ownership, savings and tax problems.
Course Credit Hours: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able
to do the following:
1. Apply the basics of personal financial planning.
2. Prepare and use personal budgets.
3. Prepare tax returns.
4. Manage cash and savings.
5. Make informed decisions regarding automobile purchase or rental.
6. Make informed decisions regarding housing purchase or rental.
7. Describe credit concepts and how to use consumer loans.
8. Describe insurance concepts.
9. Make informed decisions regarding life insurance, health insurance, and property insurance.
10. Describe the basics of personal investment.
11. Make informed decisions about investing in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and real estate.
12. Describe the basics of retirement planning.
13. Describe the basics of estate planning.
Withdrawal Policy: See the current Collin Registration Guide for last day to withdraw.
Collin College Academic Policies: See the current Collin Student Handbook.
Americans with Disabilities Act Statement: Collin College will adhere to all applicable federal,
state and local laws, regulations and guidelines with respect to providing reasonable
accommodations as required to afford equal educational opportunity. It is the student’s
responsibility to contact the ACCESS office, SCC-G200 or 972.881.5898 (V/TTD: 972.881.5950)
to arrange for appropriate accommodations. See the current Collin Student Handbook for