CITIZENS BUILDING & LOAN ASSOCIATION
P.O. BOX 388
GREER S.C. 29652
Citizens Building and Loan Association offers an annual scholarship to honor the
memory of Dr. Robert F. Williams. Dr. Williams, a long time Director and Chairman of
the Board at Citizens Building and Loan Association, was a staunch supporter of
education. He worked with the local school system, was a Trustee at Furman University,
and was a member of the S.C. State Board of Higher Education. Dr. Williams was also
well known for his selfless service to the community through his church and civic
organizations. This scholarship honors Dr. Williams’ memory by providing financial
assistance to young people seeking to reach their potential through higher education.
1. Citizens Building and Loan Community foundation will present an annual
scholarship to one graduating senior at Greer High School.
2. The scholarship will consist of a single payment of $5,000.00 made on the
student’s behalf to their selected institution of higher learning.
3. All applicants will be considered.
4. The scholarship is based on the following criteria:
a) The student must be accepted to an accredited university, college or
b) Recommendation by the student’s principal and one current teacher
selected by the student
c) Recommendation by the student’s pastor or other responsible adult
leader associated with the student outside of school
d) Financial need. The student must provide the FAFSA form with the
e) Grade point ratio and SAT/ACT score
f) Class standing and rank
g) Some record of any advanced academic work, dual credit courses or
college courses completed during the high school years
h) An essay of no more than 400 words written by the student explaining
their education and career plan and why they have made their choice
i) A listing of extra curricular activities. The student should include such
items as team sports, community service, church or other activities that
indicate strong character
j) Any other information the student feels might help us made a choice in
5. These rules of administration will be reviewed by the Board of Directors at
Citizens Building and Loan Association on an annual basis.
6. This Scholarship may be continued or discontinued at the pleasure of the Board.
7. The selection committee will consist of the entire Board of Directors.
8. The cut off date for submission to CBL will be April 15th. The Guidance
Department may set an earlier deadline to meet this goal.
9. The Board will consider only the first 25 applications received.
10. All completed applications should be turned in to the Greer High School
Guidance Department. The Guidance Department will then forward them to
Citizens Building and Loan Association for evaluation.