High School English Language Arts Science Fiction
Continued Development in English Language Arts Other Resource
Asking Questions: A Prereading Activity
In your literature circle, complete both parts.
Part One: Asking Questions
Read each of the following and talk about various questions that come to mind. Record
three questions for each. (Note: Some novels may not include all elements.)
1. The title of the novel
Example: Does the title “Fahrenheit 451” have to do with heat?
2. Front and back covers and artwork
3. Praises and reviews inside the book
5. Table of contents
6. List of books by the author
7. Author’s biography
Part Two: What Do You Know?
1. After considering the prereading your literature circle has done so far, discuss what
you now know about the novel. Record some of your findings.
2. Discuss and record what you now know about the author.
November 4, 2003 SCoPE EN090104 Page 1 of 1