“ VANCOUVER ISLAND CANOE CHALLENGE”
The 5th Annual V I Canoe Challenge is a go !! This is an Island wide ( and
anyone else in the Cascadia and Pacific Coast Councils, that wants to come ), canoeing
event that is being planned by the Central Island Area , that will be open to all Scouts
and Venturers on the Island and the Cascadia Council. The first four were a big success
! The date of the event will be on Saturday, Oct 6 2012 , with the first team starting at
9:30 am and the last team starting no later than 2:30 pm, depending on how many teams
The idea of this event is to help young Scouts with limited or no experience learn
and have fun. By now , we also have Scouts and Venturers that have done it before and
the challenge is on !! Even if you don’t have a lot of time in a canoe , there will be lots of
help, teaching and plenty of encouragement with safety being the number one priority.
For those that have the experience , challenge is on !!! As a Leader , the Canoe
Challenge offers a great early year program to focus on. The outline below will give
you all you need ( with a little research ) to run a canoe based program right up to the
This will be a one day event so that it will be easier for groups to fit into a busy
Fall Startup schedule. There will be an informal Camp at Camp Caillet in Nanaimo
for those traveling and for those Groups wanting an early camp. The Camp will be run by
a group of Leaders present, with an informal schedule. All groups are on their own. The
cost for the Camp portion is $5 per person.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE AN OFFICIAL AWARDS
CEREMONY AND CHALLENGE RESULTS AT THE END OF THE DAY AT
ABOUT 4:30 PM , SO PLEASE PLAN TO STICK AROUND . ( GREAT PRIZES
DONATED BY CAPITOL IRON IN VICTORIA )
The Canoe Challenge will take place on Quennell Lake , 10 mins. South of
Nanaimo, in the Cedar/ Yellowpoint area with the starting place to be on Scouter Ryan
Rangno’s property at 2659 Ritten Rd. off Yellowpoint Rd . The starting / staging area is
approx. 1 acre on the lake with a large dock, plenty of parking , fire pit , and outhouse
facilities will be provided. The lake is well known as a wonderful paddling lake that is
protected by many fingers and arms. The following is a point form list that we hope
covers most of the questions. Please do not hesitate to call or email for questions !!
* This will be a “Time Trial” style event, with teams leaving at set intervals. ( approx.
5 – 10 mins. Apart. ) This will depend on the number of teams.
* The Teams that register first will start first .
* There will be a Scout and Venturer category . ( Ventures will start first given they
should be fastest and we need them back for their canoes )
* Teams of 2 youth per canoe. (Canoes must be provided by their group , some may be
available to borrow – Please let us know if you need a canoe as everyone will be
encouraged to share. )
* You must have your own PFD’s , throw lines and bailing buckets and paddles if
possible. !! ( Let us know if you absolutely need to borrow )
* Any other areas with canoes are encouraged to bring theirs and will share if possible.
* Safety will be a priority : All teams are required and will not start without the
following: Seaworthy canoe, approved PFD’s with whistle, 50’ throw line and bailing
can and 1 extra paddle. ( to be provided by group)
* If a team dumps , for safety reasons , once rescued , their race is over till next year.
* There will be at least 6 motorized “ crash boats “ for safety and hopefully not , rescue.
* All volunteers will have 2 way radios on the same channel.
* Maps with the course will be provided to each team and a Team number.
* SCOUTS - There will be 6 “check points “ ( adults on shore or docks with 2 way
radios ) where points will be scored for teamwork, paddling skill, and a score for a
“challenge “ at each checkpoint.
* CHALLENGES :
1. Name 5 canoe parts
2. History of the Canoe in Canada ( questions )
3. Name 5 parts of a paddle
5. Know and show 3 paddle strokes / maneuvers.
6. Describe ( hopefully not show) 3 canoe rescues.
7. Mystery Challenge
* One of the checkpoints and challenges will be a short portage ( distance to be about
100 meters across a small ; Adults will be there to help younger Scouts . )
* Time logistics will be the main challenge as teams may have to wait at a Checkpoint.
Therefore , time cards will be will be given at each station showing the time spent at
each one. This way ,all cards will be added up at the finish and deducted from the total
team time. The other advantage will be that the challenges will be completed properly
without fear of time lost. Scoring will be time in minutes less challenge point score.
* We anticipate the duration of the course to be about 2 hours. ( Maybe a bit more or
* Prizes will be awarded based on fastest time and highest score at the checkpoint
challenges. ( 1st Prize will be “Black Cherry “ Paddles for each of the winning team /
2nd, 3rd prizes will also be awarded ( prizes will include PFD’s , Boat
Emergency Kits, camping gear , etc. )
* An Official Certificate of Completion , with times and scores will be awarded to each
participant upon completion.
* An Event Crest will be given to all participants.
* Teams will be numbered with large signs on their chest. ( We will give them out)
* The cost will be $ 20 per team of 2 youth with hot dogs , water, hot chocolate, fruit,
snack bars provided .
* Please add the $5 per youth Camp fee to your $20 per Team ( 2 youth) Challenge
fee , if you will be attending the Camp as well.
* Additional food , water bottles. etc.. to be provided by each youth
* Obviously it is beneficial to practice or prepare if you can. It is also important to try and
balance skill, strength and size when determining teams.
* We want to encourage even the youngest , smallest , least experienced youth to
participate and have fun. Mix up the teams and have them balanced so all can
have a chance to compete and have fun.
* As some canoes are faster , lighter and easier to maneuver, try to match up size and
* We ask that as many canoes as possible be SHARED , as not all will have one. In other
words, as canoes finish, we want to make them available to be used again. If you are
bringing canoes , please bring them early and expect to leave them to be shared
Venturers and Rovers : We need your help. If you want to race , go for it ! We
could use your help when you are done the race. If you are not racing , we need your
help for the day at stations . Please let me know if you will help.
We need 1st Aid Volunteers( At least 3 on the water and 1 on land) , at least one
qualified lifeguard and at least 20 other Adults to man the checkpoints and for
general help. If any leader has a small boat/ canoe that can be used at a checkpoint ,
or as a Crash Boat , please let me know. If you can help in any way , please let me
We hope to have 60 to 70 teams at least this year ( we had 56 teams last year) so if
you are interested ,let me know as soon as possible and get your teams registered early.
This will be a great event to kick off the Scouting year , so mark it on your calendars !!!
Yours in Scouting,
Ryan Rangno ( 1st Cedar Troop Scouter , Venturer Advisor)
2659 Ritten Rd. , Nanaimo , B.C V9X 1W4
250-722-0045 or 250 - 616-0996