Disassemble --> Reassemble Lab
In this lab you will experience taking apart a computer right down to the
nuts and bolts level. As you take the computer apart please make a list of
your steps. You will need a fair amount of detail. You will end up with 25
steps or more in your set of instructions. Please create a diagram of any
wiring you remove. You will want to note the orientation of each cable.
Keep track of the direction of data cables and power cables. You may work
by yourself or with one other student. If you work as a team, you will both
be expected to share the work and writing of the instructions.
1) You must complete this project in one period to get credit. You may
use the antistatic wrist bands to prevent accidental damage to your
motherboard, RAM, etc.
2) Boot up the computer to verify that the system works. Verify that the
CD ROM and floppy drives work.
3) Disassemble the entire computer. This includes removing the
motherboard from the case, drives from brackets, etc. REMEMBER
please be sure and make a detailed set of instructions as you go.
After you have disassembled the computer completely, please let me
inspect your system.
4) Reassemble the computer using your instructions and verify that you
have connected all of your cables. The cables, cards and sticks of
RAM must be seated snuggly.
5) Please let me inspect your system before you plug it into the AC
power. I will check to see that it basically looks right. If you do not
get finished by the end of the period, please carefully place your parts
inside your case.
6) When you are finished type up your set of instructions, put your
name(s) on the print out and turn it in to be graded.