Minutes of the Devon Consortium Management Board Meeting
Tuesday 21 September 2010
9.30am-12.30pm - Exeter CVS
Jay Talbot – CCD (Secretariat / Accountable Body)
Diana Crump - Living Options Devon (Chair)
John Bunting – Exeter CVS / DACVS
Mark Goodman - Voluntary Youth Services Devon (Children and Young People)
Ann Ovens – Age Concern (Older People)
Sue Craythorne – Devon County Council
Sarah Prior - Exeter CVS (Minutes)
Karen Nolan – West Devon CVS / DACVS (Secretariat)
Deborah Fisher – Teignbridge CVS (for Item 5c)
Jill Loader on behalf of Emily McCarthy – Volunteer Centres Devon (Volunteering)
Jane Warner – CCD (Finance / Accountable Body)
(NB: CB = Capacity Builders, CCD = Community Council of Devon, CDF = Consortia Development Fund, COI = Community of
Interest, CPP = Consortia Projects Programme, DACVS – Devon Association of Councils for Voluntary Service, DC = Devon
Consortium, DSP = Devon Strategic Partnership, FCR = Full Cost Recovery, LAA = Local Area Agreement, LPSA = Local Public
1. Welcomes & Introductions
1.1 Diana Crump was welcomed as new Chair of the Devon Consortium. Diana began in post on
1st September 2010.
1.2 Minutes of last meeting 27 July 2010 – for agreement
The minutes of the meeting 27 July were agreed.
2 Action points / matters arising not already on agenda
2.1 Item 2.1 – The leaflet was discussed – it was suggested that the current brief summary leaflet
may suffice until the new business plan has been developed. It was commented that a
separate leaflet could be devised with details of the projects or sources of support. Some of the
projects have already produced their own publicity materials. John Bunting agreed to look at JB / SP
the existing leaflet and possible development of another more comprehensive guide to the
Consortium with Sarah and deciding on its purpose and target audience.
2.2 Item 2.1 - It was agreed that Sarah will invite Martyn Goss of Devon Faith and Belief Forum to SP
present on the work of his organisation at the Full DC meeting on 30 November. If Martyn is
unavailable it was suggested that Fata He be approached. It was noted that sufficient time
should be made on the agenda for this item.
2.3 Item 3.11 – A quote of £200 + VAT was given by Cosmic for the creation of another private
area of the website. The Management Board agreed by email that the existing members area
should be used for meeting papers and where there are confidential items these documents
1 Devon Consortium Management Board Meeting 210910
can be circulated via email to the Board only. However, Hydra is still functioning at the moment
no further information has been released on the proposed closure. An additional quote of £60 +
VAT and £25 per annum was given by Cosmic for the creation of a new forum. It was
suggested that the full Consortium and project leads be consulted as to whether or not they SP
would find a forum useful – it is possible a project would like to set one up. Concerns were
noted that it may not be well used.
2.4 Item 9.1 – DSP performance and resources subgroup has not yet met.
3. Accountable body, finance and secretariat report
3.1 Accountable Body – Jay has met with Paul Shand of Government Office South West
(GOSW). GOSW are offering secondees for short periods of time.
3.2 A Big Society Workshop is happening on 23 September in collaboration with South West
Forum who are running a series of events across the region. Jay and Sarah have coordinated
the Exeter event on behalf of the Consortium and it has proved very popular – there is a waiting
list for places. DACVS are planning to run district awareness raising events in November.
3.3 Vernon Samuels of Capacitybuilders met with Jay and Sarah at the beginning of August. He
was very happy with the progress made by the Consortium.
3.4 The Devon Consortium Forward Plan was reviewed and noted by the Board.
3.5 Budget Report – financial reporting by projects is due back to Jane Warner on 5 October –
projects need to show that their spending is in line with their profiled spend. Devon County
Council require the financial reporting by 7 October. Sarah to send reminder to the projects. SP
Sue Craythorne to liaise with Jane Warner about payment instalments.
3.6 The Representation Fund summary was considered by the Board – individual breakdown is
available on request. NHS Devon has now paid. Devon Police and Fire and Rescue will be
pursued. Karen to check DSP Delivery Board minutes and draft a letter from Diana Crump.
DACVS have been pursuing the districts but all are noncommittal.
3.7 It was agreed that the representation claims and reports should be made within 3 weeks of a
meeting. Sarah to adjust the guidance on the forms to clarify this and notify all reps. SP
3.8 Diversity Reference Group – Jay explained that Sue Wroe has agreed to Beverly Jones
continuing the role of convening and coordinating the group. It was reported that the DRG was
not very engaged in the EINAs although had offered their support ad hoc.
3.9 A Diversity representative is required for Management Board following the election of Diana
Crump to Chair. It was agreed that a request be sent to the DRG to nominate a representative
in advance of the next DRG meeting. Sarah to liaise with Beverly and send notification by SP
email. It was noted that the rep must be prepared to represent all the diversity strands.
3.10 The EINAs were submitted in draft to the ESSG meeting on 9 September. Beverly presented
them to the group. The members of the ESSG needed more time to read through and
comment on the EINA’s and they will do this within 3 weeks, their comments will go to Ian
Hobbs (who chaired this ESSG). Jo Hooper (DDC Equality Officer) will collate all the responses
within 5-6 weeks and summarise for the Devon Consortium. It was suggested at the meeting
she might like to present this to a Project Leads Meeting. It was stressed at the meeting that
2 Devon Consortium Management Group Meeting 210910
this work was being done to support DDC under SLA arrangements and not necessarily to
support the Devon Consortium directly. One small amendment was made to the
Representation Project’s EINA as it included a comment about LGBT representation which
needed to be revised and resubmitted in a more general tone. Diana is to meet with Michael
Halls from Intercom. Other LGBT groups may possibly be approached to participate in the
DRG, perhaps through Equality South West.
3.11 Business Planning Process – draft plan to be discussed at the full Consortium meeting on 30
November. Beverly Jones has offered to assist the process by providing an external facilitator
from NCVO who could carry out a leadership workshop and assist with the planning process
on 30 November. It was agreed that the business and strategic planning could take place at the
beginning of the meeting 10-12.30, followed by lunch with the main business of the meeting
taking place between 1-2pm. It was agreed that if an external facilitator is used they will have to
be given a clear remit as to what we want to achieve. Karen is to prepare an initial draft of the
plan in consultation with Jay and Penny Mason by mid-October for comment by the
Management Board in advance of the full Consortium meeting. The outcomes of the Third
Sector Survey (which will be published in mid-October) will inform the strategy.
3.12 Secondment Role – John is to meet with Ann James shortly. Karen has liaised with Alistair
over the role description and the list of key tasks which was circulated via email for comment.
The role needs to fit with other work of the Consortium and compliment the projects etc. Clear
links should be developed with the accountable body, secretariat and Chair. There is no KN
existing budget to support the role. The management board agreed the paper subject to a
small adjustment to include a requirement that the secondee should endeavour to spend a
period of time with different Consortium members – in particular CCD as the Accountable
Body. Line management can be carried out by the host organisation. Karen will revise the KN/JB
paper and pass to John to discuss with Ann James. The role can be developed and supported
throughout the year in a consistent way. Start time and length of the secondment is still
unclear. Details will have to be worked out with Ann James and in accordance with what the
applicants can offer in terms of skill and experience. Thanks were given to Karen for preparing
3 Devon Consortium Management Group Meeting 210910
4. Performance Monitoring –
4.1 The Issues Register was considered by the Board. No red issues were recorded.
Points of note include:
- Total Support issue 002 - about sustainable funding agreements which has been
reworded was discussed and the revision agreed by the Board. Issue will be removed from
- Total Support Issue 003 – moved from Red to Amber - benchmarking survey is still
working to the revised timetable – the final report will be published by mid-October.
- Total Support Issue 005 - community led planning – keep an eye on until it is a planned
- Total Support Issue 006 – work delayed by survey which is due to inform this activity.
- Community Hubs Issue 004 - Lack of engagement in Exeter reported – Development
Worker subsequently recruited. Confirmation is required on where the hubs will be. It was
noted that there is a need to ensure work is focused in Exeter in the first year.
- Representation Issue 008 – delay in identifying reps will not effect overall timescales.
Issue removed from the register
- Service User Engagement Issue 007 – Diana Crump declared an interest as Chief
Executive of the lead organisation for this project. Removal of issue from register agreed
by the board. KN
4.2 It was commented that the full quarterly reports are due on 8 October 2010. Summary report to
be sent to Sue Craythorne by 27 October for SCHIG meeting on 2 November.
4.3 Total Support’s Third Sector Baseline Survey was discussed. Beverly Jones has requested
that the Management Board sign off a covering letter which should include a statement
contextualising the survey – as an executive summary (editing from the three page exec
summary in the Report). It was acknowledged that the report is of a high quality although the
number of responses was not particularly high. It expected that the final report will be published
in mid-October on the Consortium website. Hard copies to be sent to all Consortium members.
Beverly Jones to draft the summary version for print and Management Board to agree it via
email. It is hoped that the survey proves to be timely and can feed into the debates around the
Big Society etc – Beverly will present an initial report on the findings at the Big Society
workshop on 23 September. Links can also be made with the Comprehensive Spending review
on 20 October. It was suggested that local press could be informed of its findings – in particular JT
if there are any case studies relating to specific findings. It was also suggested that the
summary information could be presented at strategic level – through DSP partners. Jay will
speak with Beverly about how to take this forward. One error with the font colour on page 10
4.4 was noted.
Developing the Third Sector – presentation by Deborah Fisher (powerpoint presentation
4.5 attached with minutes) Points of note include:
- Commissioning Round Table meeting took place on Friday 17 September – focus of
4 Devon Consortium Management Group Meeting 210910
discussions was on strategic context – the practicalities have not yet been discussed. It is
hoped that a more consistent commissioning strategy across the local government strands
could develop. An action plan is to be drawn up with the creation of small working groups a
possible way forward. It is acknowledged that the existing financial situation within local
government may inhibit progress with decommissioning becoming more mainstream. There is
also a recognised change required in the mindset of senior staff and a cultural change needed.
Sue Craythorne will circulate feedback from Ben Cairns the facilitator. The work being carried SC
out with Adults Services could feed in. There is an opportunity for shared thinking and
discussion as well as building commitment and further collaboration. Achievable objectives are
4.5 to be identified.
- It was commented that it is important to get a balance of strategic versus frontline work. The
strategic work forms the focus of the project at the beginning, along with awareness raising.
4.6 Frontline work will be the focus in 2011. Deborah to send detailed workplan through to Sarah. DF
4.7 - Useful resources and factsheets have been published on the Consortium website.
4.8 - Personalisation agenda and NHS reforms will inform the project work.
Additional SCP Resource allocation – Paper outlining the proposal for spend of the
additional resource was considered by the board. It was explained that Karen has revised the
4.9 paper slightly following the management board at which is was reviewed.
Under point 1 it was suggested that peer support / transfer of information should be built in –
4.10 resourcing to make more effective. The definition of capacity building needs broadening.
Under point 2 – it was suggested that the outcomes of the Compact work carried out with the
money should be clarified. It was noted that the future of the Compact will be discussed at the
4.11 Compact Hub meeting on 22 September 2010.
The accountability for the additional resource was discussed. It was commented that Karen KN
could hold the fund as part of the representation funding. Capacity building money should be
made available from 1 October. Expenses should be clearly pro-rata.
The paper was agreed by the board in principle – subject to the amendments above.
5.1 The paper was considered on the nomination of substitute representatives.
Three options were discussed –
1. Invalidate the decision of the June meeting and run an interim election process to
elect substitutes for a period of eight months.
2. Invalidate the decision of the June meeting but place responsibility for ensuring an
informed substitute is available for the partnership/board meetings on the nominated
3. Uphold the decision taken at the June meeting given that there is no strong evidence
that Consortium members disagree with the decision taken at that meeting.
5.2 It was agreed that option 2 would not be democratic enough and management board should
not override a decision agreed at full consortium. A vote was taken between options 1 and 3
and it was agreed that option 3 was the most suitable way forward (at 2 votes to 1 – with one
5 Devon Consortium Management Group Meeting 210910
abstention). Karen and Sarah will revise the process in time for the DRG nominations. Sarah SP / KN
will draft an email to the Consortium to explain this. It was commented that the Representation
project would deal with the issue of whether or not reps should stand for more than one board.
5.3 John Bunting updated the group on the Delivery Board Task and Finish Group which will look
at priorities and specific theme areas – alcohol abuse, demographics and families in crisis for
5.4 Local enterprise partnerships were discussed – it was explained that the Government has
put local enterprise partnerships (LEP) forward as a means to drive enterprise development,
after Regional Development Agencies (RDA) are abolished. A Devon, Plymouth, Torbay
Enterprise Partnership has been developed. It is not clear who it will comprise of. It is hoped
further information will emerge from Devon County Council.
5.5 Smokefree Devon Alliance – following the invitation to take part in the alliance no expressions
of interest were received, it is likely that this is due to lack of capacity. It was suggested that
other groups may be interested in participating – John Bunting will speak with Helen Harman JB
about whether LINk Devon may be interested in taking part.
6 VCS Assembly – It was agreed that the Assembly should take place in mid-February – Sarah
6.1 to email the Management Board with suggested dates and request ideas for venues – SP
Ivybridge was suggested. Sarah will also email all Project Leads to request their involvement
either to run workshops or a session showcasing their work. It was also suggested that a high
profile speaker should be sought – Project Leads may be able to offer suggestions.
7. Dates of next meetings:
7.1 Tuesday 23 November- 9.30-12.30 All to
All at Exeter CVS, Wat Tyler House, King William Street, Exeter EX4 6PD note
Summary of Action Points:
Item Action By By
2.1 Look at publicity for Consortium SP / JB 230910
2.2 Invite Martyn Goss to present at full Consortium meeting on 30 November SP 301110
2.3 Consult PLs and at full DC whether forum would be useful SP 301110
3.5 Send reminders about budget reporting to project leads SP 051110
3.7 To adjust the guidance on the Rep forms to detail a 3 week period for submitting SP 011010
claims post meetings and to notify reps
3.9 To liaise with Beverly re. nomination of diversity rep SP 181010
3.10 Diana to feedback on her meeting with Michael Halls DC 210910
3.11 To prepare initial business plan draft and circulate to MB for comment KN 081010
6 Devon Consortium Management Group Meeting 210910
3.12 To make amendments to secondment role outline and pass to JB KN 081010
4.2 Prepare summary report from project monitoring forms for SCHIG KN 271010
4.3 JT to speak with BJ regarding Baseline survey JT 300910
4.4 SC to circulate feedback from Commissioning Round Table meeting SC 231110
4.5 To send detailed workplan to Developing the Third Sector to SP DF 231110
4.8 To make amendments to allocation of additional resource paper KN 231110
5.2 To revise process for nomination of subs SP / KN 081010
5.5 To speak to Helen Harman re. Smokefree Devon Alliance and possible JB 081010
participation of LINk
6 To circulate possible dates for assembly and consult PLs SP 081010
7 Devon Consortium Management Group Meeting 210910