Writing the Plan
Who Writes the Plan?
• Member of planning group.
• Planning consultant
• Partnership of writers with:
– Content knowledge.
– Writing/editing skills.
Planning to Write
• Start at the very beginning:
– Assign lead recorder(s) and writer(s) early in
– Organize data to provide useful information.
– Review samples of other strategic plans to
provide content and formatting ideas (see 3-12)
– Distribute drafts widely for input & feedback.
– Build consensus on final draft plan and
• New Haven Department of Police Services.
• Sample plan “core components” check list