Skills & Instruction of Health-Related Fitness Activities
Summarizing What You Know
The purpose of this activity is to concisely summarize the information we have covered to date. In the
last class, you and a partner discussed the information you each have learned to date. This assignment
is individual (not done with a partner!) and should reflect the key things you have learned in this
course so far this semester. Your summary should be guided by course readings, ppts, and other
assigned materials and activities.
Please organize your content:
1) identify who your partner was in the previous class discussion period.
2) use major topical headers,
3) use bullet points, not paragraphs, and
4) include each key point’s relationships with HPHE1650 course goal(s) & Beginning Teacher
HINT: the block plan can help with the Beginning Teacher outcomes
Type out ALL course goals and Beginning Teacher outcomes (no #s-only)
The topical areas from the syllabus that should be included in your summary are:
-Fitness Testing: FITNESSGRAM
-Aerobic Fitness, measurement/evaluation
-Muscular Fitness (strength, endurance, flexibility), measurement/evaluation
-Nutrition, Body Composition
Please use the following outline template to identify your new knowledge:
-key point1 (instructional objective(s)), [Beginning Teacher Outcome(s)]
-key point2 (instructional objective(s)), [Beginning Teacher Outcome(s)]
Etc, until your key points learned are included
Fitness Testing: FITNESSGRAM
1) Fitnessgram assesses 4 components of HRF: aerobic fitness (PACER), muscular fitness (curl-ups,
push-ups), flexibility (Back-Saver sit & reach), body composition (BMI)
1. Components of health-related fitness for school-age children, including cardiovascular endurance,
muscular strength, endurance and flexibility, and body composition.
3. Assessment issues and techniques usually associated with school-age children's physical activity and health-
related fitness programming in schools.
5. Use of FITNESSGRAM tests, software and reports to develop an individual fitness program.
[2.2 Achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of fitness throughout the program.]