CARLISLE CITY COUNCIL
Community Engagement Directorate
Job Title: Private Sector Housing Technical Team Manager
Responsible to: Strategic and Private Sector Housing Manager
Responsible for: Private Sector Housing Technical Officers
Empty Property Officer
To manage a team of technical officers providing and delivering a range of services
relating to the private housing sector including;
To provide information, assistance and guidance on the private rented sector aspect of
the Councils Housing Strategy.
To deliver the enforcement and statutory functions of the Council in respect of gypsy
and traveller caravan site licensing and unauthorised encampments.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
1. Managing a team of 2.5 FTE Technical Officers and an Empty Property officer to
undertake a range of functions in relation to private sector housing.
2. Overseeing the technical team and their work on inspections and processing of works
related to Disabled Facility Grants (DFG’s), grant work, inspections and empty
3. Oversee and supervise statutory matters in relation to Houses in Multiple Occupation
(HMO’s) including licences and statutory notices.
4. Overseeing the technical team to deliver the requirements of the Housing Health Safety
Rating system (HHSRS) including inspection, assessment and enforcement
5. Implement a programme of pro-active inspections related to stock condition,
enforcement, overcrowding, nuisance, complaints, housing standards and the
6. To assist in overseeing the statutory functions of the Council in respect of Gypsy and
Traveller issues for the Council, including enforcement of unauthorised Gypsy and
Traveller encampments and the issuing licences and inspections of caravan sites for
Gypsy and Travellers.
7. To assist the Strategic & Private Sector Housing Manager in relation to the delivery of
the Strategic and private sector housing services deputising for them as required.
8. Promote Best Value, excellence in customer service, a focus on continuous
improvement and the promotion of these in the delivery of services and employment
within the context of equality of opportunity and cultural diversity.
9. Implement and monitor a positive performance culture, complying with policies and
procedures that enable delivery of agreed targets and service standards.
10. To manage, motivate and consult staff; to agree and monitor performance standards
that reflect the objectives of the service and the authority; to ensure staff are
progressively developed so as to be skilled and empowered to achieve these
11. To manage and monitor the departmental budget in accordance with agreed
procedures and financial regulations.
12. Establish and maintain effective two-way communication with staff, colleagues,
Members and customers, seeking out and responding to opinions in order to further
enhance the quality of service delivery.
13. To promote best practice in meeting the requirements of Health & Safety legislation
and to comply with other relevant statutory legislation.
14. If required, assist as directed, in responding to the City Council’s Emergency Plan.
Please note this could require working outside of routine working hours and could entail
working from places other than your normal place of work. We will take account of
your personal circumstances at the time.
15. Undertake such other duties that are required from time to time and are commensurate
with this position.
Enhanced CRB checked
CARLISLE CITY COUNCIL
Private Sector Housing Technical Team Manager
All criteria are essential, unless stated as ‘Desirable’ (D)
Assessment Methods A –Application & Double checks, I – Interview/Assessment
Education & BSc in Environmental Health, or similar approved qualification, or
qualifications equivalent previous experience.
Certificate of Registration with the Environmental Health
Registration Board (EHRB)
Management qualification (D)(A)
Experience, Minimum of 2 years experience in Local Authority experience in
knowledge and private sector housing.
understanding Experience and full understanding of current housing legislation in
relation to Houses in Multiple Occupation, the Housing Health and
Safety Rating System, enforcement options and service of
Experience in dealing with Statutory Nuisance legislation.
knowledge and experience of licensing and enforcing conditions
on park home sites
Knowledge and experience in dealing with unauthorised gypsy and
A knowledge of how to deal with Area based Renewal issues.
A knowledge and experience in dealing with disabled facilities
Experience of staff management (D)
Committee, magistrate court ,residential property tribunal and
Knowledge and experience of handling evidence and preparing
Skills Self-motivated, enthusiastic and ability to work under pressure
using sound time management and prioritisation skills.
Ability to communicate effectively with the public and to
communicate ideas in written reports.
Computer literacy (including Council IT systems )
Personal Commitment to highest professional levels of service delivery
qualities and Good communication skills (both written and verbal)
Commitment Ability to work as part of a team and to handle difficult and
Willingness to participate in relevant training to ensure continuing
Other factors Current driving licence and access to a car for business purposes.
Able to respond to out of hours emergencies
Enhanced CRB checked
Date: November 2011