Messages in Education
and in Life
Organized by Joe Naumann
We Begin Getting Messages at
• Some messages are received at a
• Some messages are openly, and
sometimes forcefully, delivered
• Most people have been affected by at
least one of the following negative
messages to some degree or other
Giving too much credence to
the previous messages can
predispose one to accept the
Beware of its power to stifle
creativity, initiative, life . . .
I Don’t Believe One Has to
Accept These Messages
• My philosophy of education is based
on that belief.
• The following are some of the basic
thoughts I have about education - my
• I believe that all people are intelligent
• I believe that intelligence shows itself
in many ways.
• I believe that every person can learn.
• I believe everyone can increase his/her
ability to learn
• I believe organizing skills increase
• I believe efficient learning strategies
produce more learning with less time
• I believe each learner must be
responsible for his/her learning and
• I believe a learner's 1st task is to learn
how to learn more efficiently
• I believe a learner must discover which
strategies work best for him/her
• I believe that a learner who believes
that he/she can learn is more likely to
• I believe the amount of effort invested
in study and attending class usually is
proportional to the level of success
• I believe the keys to success in
1. Learn to learn efficiently!
2. Think you can!
3. Work hard!
My Favorite Quote: "Life is the
energy that organizes matter into
Everything one does contributes to the self-portrait
(character) one is constructing of himself/herself.
Every method one uses to accomplish one’s goals also
contributes to the self-portrait one is constructing. In
school, it may be by one’s attitude toward school work,
one’s punctuality and attendance, and by the quantity
and quality of work one produces for the classes.
One’s self portrait is the result of the choices one
makes in life.
Another Quote: The real voyage of
discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new
eyes. -- Marcel Proust
One’s attitude or perspective encourages or
inhibits learning and growth. The positive
attitude which flows from keeping an open
mind which was expressed by Marcel Proust
is one that encourages growth and retards
boredom. This is the kind of attitude that
helps a geographer recognize significant
patterns and connections in the world around
What one believes about
one’s self is very powerful.
Keep the following in mind ….
Believe it about yourself because
it ‘s true!
In all the world
There's nobody like me
Nobody has my smile
Nobody has my eyes, nose, hair or voice.
No one laughs like me
Or cries like me
No one sees things just as I do
No one reacts just as I would react
I'm the only one in all creation
Who has my set of abilities
My unique combination of gifts, talents and
abilities are an original symphony.
I’m a SYMPHONY!
And in all rarity there is great value
I need not imitate others
I will accept - yes, celebrate - my differences
• I'm Special...
And I'm beginning to see that I was made
For a very special purpose
There is a job for me
That no one else can do as well as I do it
Out of all the applicants only one is
And, that one is ME!