Post Title: Technical Manager
Salary Grade: Grade H Circa £30,000
Responsible to: Artistic Director
Responsible for: Technicians, Casual Technicians, Maintenance Officer, Cleaners,
Contracted Maintenance Supervisor
Main Purpose of Post:
1. To be part of the Senior Management Team at the Lichfield Garrick, which also
includes the Front of House Manager and the Box Office & Production Manager.
2. To manage the technical operation of the Lichfield Garrick including the forward
planning and technical management of all productions, conferences, meetings and
rehearsals at the Lichfield Garrick, the management of the technical budgets, the
management of all technical staff and the management of all the Lichfield Garrick’s
technical and backstage resources.
3. To ensure that a high quality physical environment is maintained throughout all
backstage areas within the Lichfield Garrick and to ensure that the creation and
production of work is of the highest artistic and technical standards.
4. To ensure the “pool” of casual technicians is maintained to the appropriate numbers
and initiate training as required.
5. To ensure Duty Technicians supervise the operation of all technical areas at the
Lichfield Garrick at all times during Amateur performances, ensuring a high level of
Health & Safety compliance.
1. To manage the Technical and backstage operation of the Lichfield Garrick,
ensuring that there are sufficient trained staff to run the venue at all times and that it
is run within the limitations of its budget and its licences and licensing laws.
2. To ensure that all backstage areas are kept in a safe, organised, tidy manner,
complying with Health and Safety legislation.
3. To manage the technical and backstage operation through effective planning and
the compilation and maintenance of duty rotas, lists of staff, communication of
schedules and other essential data, regular briefings, training and recruitment.
4. To ensure that there are sufficient, trained casual staff to support all events on the
5. In partnership with the Tourist Information Department, ensure the building is open
in the morning and secured safely at night in conjunction with the Front of House
Manager and Duty Managers, ensuring that all areas of the building are clean and
safe and maintained to a high standard, complying with all licensing regulations and
protecting health and safety of the public, contractors, users, hirers, staff and
6. To act as one of the keyholders and to be on the emergency call-out list
7. To manage the stock ordering and control of technical stock, maximising savings in
expenditure through effective budget controls and maximising profitability through
effective and efficient use of staff. To arrange regular stock-takes, producing
reports for the Artistic Director.
8. To organise receipt and storage of all delivered goods for the operations and
events at the Lichfield Garrick.
9. To keep accurate records of staff time-keeping and leave allocation, and manage
the hours for staff who work within the “banking” system
10. In partnership with the Front of House Manager, to implement the Lichfield
Garrick’s Health and Safety policies including risk assessments and regular
11. Ensure that there is regular testing of all equipment. This duty should be
undertaken in conjunction with the Maintenance Officer and Contracted Building
Maintenance Supervisor, including Fire Alarms, emergency lights and the BMS
12. Maintain an accident book.
13. Maintain show reports for all productions.
14. To ensure that routine maintenance of theatre equipment is carried out.
1. Maintain good and effective working relationships with all customers, users,
colleagues and line managers.
2. Maintain good standards of work, contributing to the department’s safe, efficient,
economic and high quality performance.
3. Adhere to the venue’s Health and Safety Policy and relevant current legislation.
4. Undertake any duties that the Artistic Director may reasonably require.
5. Keep up to date with developments in theatre technology.
The Council reserves the right to vary the content of the job description, after
consultation, to reflect the changes to the job without changing the general character of
the post or level of responsibility.
1. The Lichfield Garrick believes that the development of new theatre practitioners and
audiences, especially young people, is vital. All staff are expected to contribute to
such developments in appropriate ways.
2. It is the responsibility of every member of staff to assist in presenting the Lichfield
Garrick and Lichfield District Council to the public as a positive, efficient and
Essential Criteria Desirable Criteria Means of Selection
Application Form /
A wide range and considerable Interview
experience of managing the
technical department of a
Experience of managing a team
of people within a Technical
Experience of building
Proven ability to control
Qualifications / Training
Education to at least GCSE Application form /
level or equivalent . qualifications
Detailed knowledge of the
range of technical equipment
required in a theatre.
Knowledge of touring theatre
and musical entertainment.
Knowledge of Union agreement
(BECTU) and Working Time
Knowledge of current Health
and Safety legislation.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to think strategically and
Ability to read and interpret
technical drawings. Application Form /
Ability to motivate and manage
Ability to keep orderly and Interview
Ability to work well under
pressure, to lead in an Interview
emergency situation, to be self
reliant and self motivated.
Ability to work as part of a
senior management team.
A meticulous attitude to
Able to work flexible hours Interview
including evenings, weekends
and bank holidays.
Commitment to equal
opportunities in employment
and service delivery