Kick off Notes of meeting by WAQwAXZ



        Kick-off meeting

        Palermo (Italy)
    15 – 16 September 2006

COPPEM: Carmelo Motta, Natale Giordano, Francesco Sammaritano, Ilia Mazzone, Claudia Mularoni, Giulia
Righetti, Gertruud van Leijen, Miti Rossi Ferraris, Roberto Perticaroli
NTUA: Ioannis Paspaliaris, Maria Taxiarchou
University of Bari: Luigi Ricciardi, Paolo Resta
IAMB: Giuseppe De Mastro, Chiara Mattia
PIT Demetra n° 15: Olindo Terrana, Claudia Tambuzzo
CINIGEO: Giuseppe Bonifazi, Silvia Serranti
University of Foggia: Concetta Lotti
Comune di Palermo: Ornella Amara
Regione Sicilia: Giovanni Salemi
Comune di Castelvetrano, sett. Pianificazione Territoriale: Leonardo di Stefano, Danilo La Rocca.

Documents handed out and showed
- Project Handbook
- Project summary
- Rules of Procedure of the Steering Committee
- Agenda
- Participants list
- slide presentations on the partners' institutions COPPEM, NTUA, University of Bari, IAMB, CINIGEO (PIT
Demetra by voice only)
- slide presentations:
        Gertruud van Leijen: Introduction on organisational aspects ; presentation of the Project Handbook;
         Rules of Procedure of the Steering Committee; Explanation of accounting rules; payment procedures
         and reporting procedures; Communication Plan
        Miti Rossi Ferraris & Roberto Perticaroli: Introduction on the methodological and scientific contents
         (in course of translation into english, to be supplied asap)
        NTUA: Introduction of the first project activity (WP2)
        CINIGEO: 2.2 Geographical study and creation of a map on all the Mediterranean territories
         characterised by the Maquis
        NTUA: 2.7 Draft of Model for Ecomuseum District Development for the Mediterranean
        University of Bari: 2.3 Identification of the botanic, geographic and genetic characteristics of shrubs
         and herbs (endangered and not) of the Maquis (to be supplied asap)
        IAMB: 2.4 Diagnostic study on economic value and opportunities of the Maquis landscape and the
         medical and aromatic qualities of its products (to be supplied asap)

15th of September 2006
Welcome by the Secretary General of COPPEM – On. Carmelo Motta
On. Motta welcomes the project partners and other participants on his own behalf and on behalf of
COPPEM’s president, On. Cuffaro. He points out the symbolic meaning of the project and stresses the
importance of the theme it treats and the ambitious objectives. It is for this reason that he is pleased to put at
disposal of the project the important network of COPPEM as well as all the occasions that COPPEM’s
workprogramme offer to assure a maximum dissemination of the progressive results of the project. This
is11particularly important in order to awake the interest of other stakeholders in the Mediterranean area and
as such a first step to the future sustainability of the project.
Today, COPPEM's network includes 35 represented countries (25 EU Member States and 10 countries of
the southern cost of the Mediterranean). First occasion in which the project will be presented is the 1st of
October, when COPPEM's Presidency Council will be held at Crete, gathering a high representation of the
Council's members.

Brief presentation of the project
Claudia Mularoni illustrates briefly how the project was born and the meaning the project preparation group
intended to assign to the project. She thanks COPPEM for the support to dissemination of the project it
guarantees and for the important coordinating role it has been willing to assume.
Gertruud van Leijen gives a brief outline of the project: its objectives, its methodology, its beneficiaries and
the composition of the partnership, a description of the different activities and their interconnections, an
indication of the timetable of the various actions and events and a short overview of the first priorities. (see:
Project summary).
Natale Giordano invites the partners to consider the project a priority within their own structures, considering
not only the explicit objectives but also their potential implications and the parallel developments which the
project will be able to guarantee. He excuses for the absence of the Region of Crete, which he intends to
meet separately on the 1st of October, and of the Libyan Ministry of Environment which unfortunately
encountered problems with their visa. They will be invited now to meet with COPPEM and Region of Crete
on the 1st of October.

Presentation of project partners and subcontractors
All represented partners as well as Athens' University subcontractor CINIGEO present their structures and
outline their specific competences related to the project. They explain as well their particular interest in the
project and set out briefly the activities they are going to carry out. The presentations will be published on the
project's web site.

Introduction on organisational aspects of the project and presentation of the draft Project Handbook
After lunch Natale Giordano gives the floor to Gertruud van Leijen who explains the project's organisational
structure (see slides) and presents the Project Handbook. The latter contains an overview of the project and
its workplan and gantt; the contact references of all partners and of the main ARCHIMED Programme's
information points; the accounting rules and certification procedures as well as the reporting modalities. For
the moment, the explanation of the accounting rules have been based on other INTERREG programmes as
ARCHIMED did not yet have its own manual. However, as meanwhile in Athens these have been presented
in draft form, the project handbook will be updated with eventual corrections as soon as the Programme's
Manual becomes definitive.

Nominations and presentation of supporting structures
The partners have been asked to individuate for each project organ a representative and eventually a
deputy. If on future occasions these people will be substituted by someone else of the organisation, this
other person should be formally authorised by the Committee member.
For the moment only the Steering Committee, the Technical Board Studies and the TB Network &
Dissemination will be constituted: the TB Studies will start working by tomorrow and both TB's will have to
meet on next project meeting planned in Bari. Partners who did not yet indicate their representative in one of
these bodies are asked to communicate them as soon as possible to the TUC (
As Members of the Steering Committee are nominated the following persons:
COPPEM: Natale Giordano (president), deputy to be communicated
Region of Crete: to be communicated
NTUA: Prof. Ioannis Paspaliaris; deputy Maria Taxiarchou
University of Bari: Prof. Luigi Ricciardi, deputy Prof. Paolo Resta
IAMB: Prof. Biagio Di Terlizzi, deputy Prof. Giuseppe De Mastro
PIT Demetra: Arch. Olindo Terrana; Arch. Claudia Tambuzzo
Environmental General Authority - Libya: to be communicated

As members of the Technical Board 'Studies' are nominated the following persons:
NTUA: Prof. Ioannis Paspaliaris (president); deputy Prof. Giuseppe Bonifazi (CINIGEO)
COPPEM: Natale Giordano
Region of Crete: to be communicated
University of Bari: Prof. Luigi Ricciardi, deputies Prof. Paolo Resta and Prof. Concetta Lotti
IAMB: Prof. Di Terlizzi, deputy Prof. Giuseppe De Mastro
PIT Demetra: Lucio Tambuzzo; deputies Olindo Terrana and Arch. Claudia Tambuzzo
Environmental Authority - Libya: to be communicated

As members of the Technical Board 'Network and Dissemination' are nominated the following persons:
COPPEM: Natale Giordano (president), deputy to be communicated
NTUA: Prof. Ioannis Paspaliaris
Region of Crete: to be communicated
University of Bari: to be communicated
IAMB: to be communicated
PIT Demetra: to be communicated
Environmental Authority - Libya: to be communicated

Natale Giordano presents the supporting structures established by COPPEM in order to guarantee a smooth
project realisation.
The Transnational Unit of Coordination will be managed by Pragmata Institute, represented by Claudia
Mularoni. The TUC has appointed a Miti Rossi Ferraris as scientific coordinator of the project and Roberto
Perticaroli for scientific support for specific aspects concerning the Maquis. They will monitor project
activities and support partners according to the methodological criteria, with a view to consistency and
achievement of project objectives. Furthermore, Gertruud van Leijen has been appointed to assist COPPEM
in coordinating the project on a day-to-day level, and provide for financial and administrative support to the
The Strategic Unit of Continuity will be managed by Naxta, under coordination of Giulia Righetti. She is
actually representing the project at the Lead Partner Seminar in Athens but the following day she will report
on that occasion and present herself. The SUC is in charge of monitoring the project formally, providing for
the production of progress reports, strategic support to the project's Steering Committee and support to all
legal matters concerning Programme obligations and partnership relations.
Presentation of the Steering Committee's Internal Regulation
Gertruud van Leijen presents the Rules of Procedure of the project's Steering Committee. Due to late
sending to the partners not every partner has been able to analyse the document beforehand. Therefore, its
formal approval is postponed to tomorrow. On that occasion all Steering Committee members approve the
Rules of Procedure without any comments.

Signature of the Joint Convention
The Joint Convention has been signed by all partners on separate copies. COPPEM sent the conventions
signed by PIT Demetra, IAMB, University of Bari, NTUA and COPPEM to the Authorities, where they arrived
in due time (12 September 2006). The Conventions signed by Crete and Libya arrived only today. COPPEM
intended to send them by Monday, but from the Lead Partner seminar actually in course in Athens comes in
real time the information that the delayed Conventions should arrive at the Managing Authority in
Thessaloniki within next Tuesday the 19th September. Therefore, Natale Giordano and Gertruud van Leijen
have to absent theirselves for the last part of today's meeting in order to prepare the documentation to be
sent immediately.
The Joint Convention should also be signed by all partners on the same original. For each partner one
original with all signatures has to be produced, as well as one original for the Managing Authority. As no
legal representatives are present at the kick off meeting, COPPEM will send the documents around the
partnership, to start with IAMB and University of Bari. After their signature, Natale Giordano will bring the
document to Creta to be signed by the Region of Crete, will have it signed by PIT Demetra (Sicily) and will
send the document to the Environmental Authority in Libya. Although the Authority requested to receive the
final document within the 1st of October this will not be feasible. As this is the case for most of the projects,
some clemency is expected.
For the above said emergency, the explanation of accounting rules, payment procedures and reporting
procedures will be postponed until tomorrow, as is the case for the definition of the main features of the
communication plan.
Web site
NTUA presents the conceptual proposal they developed for the project's web site. NTUA included as well a
proposal for a logo, which will be discussed later.
The primary criteria for a good web site are defined as follows:
- design and format should be user-friendly
- all partners supply the information requested, otherwise the site will be empty and therefore useless
To this end, it is important to organise who will be in charge of data-supply for each partner, how do we
manage and control the information?
The first page proposed offers some general information on the project and permits to click on a series of
pages indicatively called:
1- the project
2- the Mediterranean MAquis
3- Ecomuseum
4- News about events, meetins and conferences of the project
5- data base with information on the species of the Mediterranean maquis
6- Links to other sites on ecomuseums
Main comments received from the partners:

       Miti Rossi Ferraris points out a methodological aspects: the project is not about ecomuseums, but
        about ecomuseum districts. Therefore there should be a section on the web site dedicated to

       Ricciardi (UniBari) stresses the importance of controlling the information which will be published on
        the web site: the information should be scientifically checked and validated. A method should be
        created to permit this.

       De Mastro (IAMB) points out that this kind of web site format is much liable to inflation. It is better to
        choose a formula which differentiates. A database on the species of the Maquis should be avoided
        as there exist already, which are also very elaborated. It seems better to him to start with a quit
        empty site, in which are presented the project and its partners, to be enriched progressively when
        results have been produced.

       Roberto Perticaroli agrees with the previous comments but points out that if on the Maquis good
        sites exist, this is NOT the case for ecomuseum districts on the maquis, as this is a real novelty and
        should be based on serious and rigorous research.

       Resta (UniBari) refers to a page called 'Services', in which bibliographic information and scientific
        articles (authorised by their autors) can be reproduced. Question remains who should produce
        these info and with which budget.
Final agreement is that NTUA proceeds with the elaboration of the web site and presents a first prototype for
final approval by the partners before its launch. The site will be quit simple at the beginning and will be
amplified in course of progress.
The prototype of the site will be available for partner's comments on the web (you will be informed about the
NTUA proposes a logo based on the presumption that the logo should be simple, intuitively understandable
for people outside the partnership. The green colour recalls the Maquis, the designed olive branch indicates
one of the most diffused species of the Mediterranean Maquis.
       Ricciardi (UniBari) indicates tha the Olive-culture Institute of Corfù has a quit identical logo so it's
        better not to copy it in order to avoid confusion. Moreover, the olive tree is not part of the Maquis, as
        is, instead, the olivastro. This latter is a wild olive tree which leaves however are quit different from
        the ones on the design.
Miti Rossi Ferraris presents an alternative idea, based on the 'APIO coin'. This coin, configuring wild parsley
(apium in latin), is kept by the Museum of Selinunte (Sicily). The name of the town of Selinunte derives as
well from this herb, but from its greek variant. The coin presents the same image of wild parsley on both
sides, which is significant for the importance the species had in the past for the local economy. The symbol
reconciles culture, botanics and economy, exactly like to project's objectives. The image presented is only a
photograph, which should be graphically made appropriate as a logo.
       Ricciardi and Resta point out that parsley is not a herb of the Mediterranean maquis, so their is no
        link to this theme. They propose the oak as possible symbol.
       Claudia Mularoni remembers that there is a budget assigned to COPPEM to address a graphical
        expert for the design of the logo. All ideas and a series of key words will be offered to an expert who
        will be asked to define three solutions which will be proposed to the partnership in order to decide by
       During dinner the discussions continued and it was agreed that it was better to avoid any symbols
        which could be identified with political streams (for Italy at least oak, olive tree, marguerite)
Final comments
De Mastro (IAMB) asks attention for the event MIDITERRE which will take place in Bari the 27-28-29 of
September, during which a session for the presentation of projects is forecasted. IAMB will present the its
other ARCHIMED project INNOVA (lead partner Region of Puglia) and invites to present as well
ECOMEMAQ on this occasion. During the event the assessors for Mediterranean Affairs and for Ecology of
the Region of Puglia will be present. The presentation will be held in the morning of the 28th. IAMB will send
the official programme and it will be analised who could be present (Miti Rossi Ferraris will be in Greece).

16th of September
After a short introduction by Natale Giordano some items left from the first day are dealt with.
Explanation of accounting rules, payment procedures and reporting procedures
Gertruud van Leijen illustrates the modalities and procedures for payment of incurred costs and reporting,
referring to the project handbook in which details are reported for all kinds of aspects. We refer to the slides
and this Project Handbook for all details and will report here only what has been stressed or added in
particular during the meeting.
It is stressed that Greek partners are allowed this time to use external private companies to have certified
their expenditures. They are advised to contact their Ministry of Economy in order to know if a special list of
competent entities has been established or if it is completely free. Italian partners have to ask for certification
by the Ministry of Infrastructure, which is close to sign a contract with KPMG to this end, firm which also does
the certification for other INTERREG programmes. Officially certification requires 6 weeks after which one
should solicit in order to receive the certification in due time.
The SUC will send to all partners a request for information and for producing certifications of expenditures at
closure of the reporting period. Partners will be asked to describe which activities they carried out and which
outputs they produced (documents: status, title of document, number of pages, languages; events: theme,
number of days, n° and character of participants, etc.). They will have to answer some questions on local
management items, on satisfaction with transnational cooperation, and lastly they will have to produce the
financial data according to the formats requested. The information should be received in due time (ca. one
month), in order to allow for the redaction of a sound report. Partners are reminded that not fulfilling the
reporting obligation duly, authorises the Programme Authority to suspend any payment.
Partners are requested to send immediately an electronic copy of the request for certification to the SUC as
soon as they present the request to the certificators. This in order to check financial progress and smooth up
preparation of documents, given the stringent timelimits.
Our Libyan partner has no budget. Its travel and subsistence costs have been foreseen on the budget of
each partner hosting a project meeting. Partners are invited to contact the TUC in order to assure visa
procedures etc. will be complied with.
Partners who wish to modify their budget figures as reported in the officially approved budget file, should
beforehand ask permission to the lead partner. Uptil 10 % of the project's budget can be modified,
transferring amounts from one cost category to another or from one year to another. The lead partner should
inform the programme authorities and verify if the 10 % limit has not been surpassed. In the latter case, a
formal request should be made to the programme authorities prior to the engagements of the funds.
Main differences with other INTERREG programmes:
- three monthly progress reports (instead of 6 months)
- coincidence of payment request and progress report: all partners should have certified their expenditures
within two months after closure of the reporting period, in order to insert the certification in the progress
report/payment claim.
- Greek partners will receive their reimbursements directly from the Ministry of Economics; Italian partners
will receive their reimbursements directly from the Ministry of Infrastructure or Economy (no trasnfer by the
lead partner).
- Partners are requested to initiate activities as soon as possible and to congruently spend as soon as
possible as much as possible in order to recover the delay occurred in initiating the project. This is necessary
in order to avoid loss of funds by the Programme Authority.
Giulia Righetti adds the novelties presented during the Lea Partner seminar on the 15th of September in
- The Authority is analysing the request to postpone the closure of the first reporting period from end of
August to end of September. This would mean that the relative report and certifications should be in
possession of the Authorities by the end of November. This would allow many partnerships like ours, who
only started really in September, to certify some expenditures in the first occasion. Please be aware that you
are allowed to declare project expenditures from the 1st of June onwards.
- The Managing Authority presented the 15/09/06 a Programme Manual on reporting and payment claims.
As it is still in draft form, we are waiting for the formal approval and publication on the website, after which
the TUC will send all partners an electronic copy. The project's handbook will be checked on eventual
differences and send as well to the partners in definitive form.
- In case certification does not arrive in due time, partners are requested to communicate any way the
incurred expenses in the partner-report they send to the SUC. It is not yet completely sure, but probably the
autorities want to receive the financial data also if not yet certified.
Answers on specific questions:
Subcontracting: usually at least a small procedures of transparency should be followed: asking offers from at
least three competitors and choose the one which offers best value for money. All partners should in this
respect check the rules applying in their own country and the internal rules of their entity. NTUA found out
that their Managing Authority (a separate helpdesk still doesn't exist) does not answer questions of partners
and said them the lead partner should contact them. The TUC will do this.
NTUA is not able to engage itself financially unless it receives the signed subsidy contract. Unfortunately we
didn't receive the contract until now and will probably only receive it if the last partner subscribes the one
single copy of the Joint Convention.
In order to facilitate accountings, Giordano (COPPEM) proposes that each partner hosting a project meeting
pays the lunches and dinners of the project partners (up til the forecasted number of participants per
All Steering Committee members approve the proposal.
Communication Plan
The project needs to have a communication and Dissemination plan which should deal with the internal as
well as external modalities of communication. The plan will be based essentially on the actually foreseen
dissemination activities as described in the approved project proposal. COPPEM is responsible of drafting
the plan, although Region of Creta will coordinate the dissemination activities of the project. COPPEM
proposes to make a draft plan before the next meeting and have it evaluated by all partner Steering
Committee members. Intention is to create a plan which is most coerent with the intentions of all partners. It
is suggested by Giordano that all partners uses as much as possible their usual channels for publication of
the project, saving money and garanteeing a wider dissemination. The plan should be approved during next
meeting at Bari.
(see for draft index powerpoint presentation).
Introduction on the methodological and scientific contents
Miti Rossi Ferraris presents the overall objectives of the project and explains the concepts of ecomuseum,
cultural districts and ecomuseum districts (see slides which will be available soon also in English).
She explains why has been decided to unify an Ecomuseum district with a project on environmental
protection and which are the factors which united the two proposals into one unique idea. Factors which
could make ECOMEMAQ a big success and of huge strategic utility.
In Europe actually exist 200 Ecomuseums of which 60 in Italy. None of them is dedicated to the Maquis or
one of its species; they deal with forests, with local products etc.
A cultural district is intended as a system, territorially determined, of relations, which integrates the process
of valorisation of the cultural asset, material as well as immaterial, with the infrastructures and with the other
economic sectors which are connected to this process. The realisation of a Cultural District has the objective,
on the one hand, to make the cultural production process more efficient and on the other hand to optimise its
economic and social impact. Each territorial area will organise its own specific District model around its own
most valid asset, in terms of offer as well as in relation to the potential demands.
After a description of the origins of the concept of Ecomuseum, Rossi Ferraris outlines the main
characteristics: a museum based on an unwritten agreement with which a community engages itself to take
care of its territory. It is not only an initiative of institutions but requires an active engagement of citizens and
the local society in general. The objective is to take care of, to conserve, but also to know how to use the
natural and cultural heritage, in such a way that its value increases instead of being consumed. Territory is
understood not only in its physical sense, but also in its historic dimension: the story of the people living in
the territory and the material and immaterial signs their common past has left on the territory.
Priority objectives of the Ecomuseums are:
- the conservation and restoration of traditional living conditions of the selected areas, highlighting their
relations with the environment, religious, cultural and ricreative traditions, their use of natural resourses,
technologies, energy sources, etc.;
- the valorisation of characteristic houses, furniture, instruments useful to reconstruct the traditional living
- the reconstruction of living and working environments which can produce products or services to be sold to
visitors creating occasions for selling local products;
- the predisposition of routes in the landscape which can make the visitor familiar with the traditional
- involvement of the local community and of its cultural and educative structures
- promotion and support to research ad educational activities related to the local history and traditions.
Finally an Ecomuseum District can be defined as a Cultural District, already identified as such for its etno-
antropological and historical characteristics, enriched by an additional factor: the existance of a network of
ecomuseums based on a common concept. In our case: the Mediterranean Maquis.
Further important details on the structure and roles of such Ecomuseum Districts can be found in the slides
as soon as they will be available to all partners (in italian and english).
Roberto Perticaroli gives an impression of the cultural and historical value of the Mediterranean Maquis. The
Maquis as asset is associated to the territory and the popolation and these three elements form the
fundamental components of the Ecomuseum District. The immaterial heritage should be highlighted in
particular: tradition and history, culture, scientific studies and biodiversity, social models and governance,
artistic expressions. Within the project, by means of the pilot projects highlights should be in particular on:
plants and their scientific value; their actractivity for the community itself and for an external public. Events
and initiatives should stem from the common local heritage. New interpretative models on the territory should
be constructed which start from its characteristic identity and aim at its socio-economic and sustainable
Introduction of the first project activity (WP2): Environmental studies and development of a shared
methodological model for Ecomuseum District development (including 2.7)
Prof. Ioannis Paspaliaris (NTUA) introduces the first project activity (see presentation). The partners involved
will work together, each on its own specialism, to define a model for the management of Ecomuseum
Districts in order to provide for a giude for the successive project phases. Paspaliaris describes briefly the
different activities which constitute this workpackage in accordance with the project proposal, and points out
the coerence between them.
Thereafter he presents a first example of a model that could be developed as a tool to support the
construction of the Ecomuseum Districts (see presentation).
2.2 Identification of the botanic, geographic and genetic characteristics of shrubs and herbs
(endangered and not) of the Maquis
Hereafter, prof. Paolo Resta (University of Bari) illustrates the study his team has already started to carry
out.(see slide presentation, not yet available, see action item 4). Actually the university is in the phase of
collection of information, species and data. The study focusses on two specific species of the Maquis: Pyrus
Amygdaliformis and Amygdalus webbii. The botanic characteristics will be described, their influences on the
territory and the environment - being situated especially at the borders of the Maquis. Subsequently other
characteristics will be analysed, starting from the DNA analyses.
2.3 Geographical study and creation of a map on all the Mediterranean territories characterised by
the Maquis
Prof. Giuseppe Bonifazi (CINIGEO) presents its intentions for the geographic study, provided that in
accordance to the intention expressed in the project proposal the contractual relationship with NTUA will be
established. The GIS proposed is based on multi-layer of data and informations (see slide presentation). He
highlights the opportunities offered by the GIS application and the possibilities it offers for the definition of the
Ecomuseum District model. The users strategy of the GIS should be defined by the partnership, after which it
will be possible to interact with the GIS software, in such a way that everyone at any moment will have
access to it. The here explained modalities would permit access to even more data than the methodology
shortly outlined before by prof. Paspaliaris.
2.4 Diagnostic study on economic value and opportunities of the Maquis landscape and the medical
and aromatic qualities of its products
Prof. De Mastro (IAMB) outlines briefly the economic value and opportunities of the species of the Maquis. In
particular he highlights the increasing pharmaceutical and culinary use of different plants. In recent years the
aromatic value of the species is awarded by an increasing interest and this permits in particular to link the
different products with the territory they come from. Use of maquis herbs is particularly broad and various,
which allows for a maggior valorisation of the economic potentialities. Notwithstanding these potentalities,
the cultivation of officinal plants are still limited (See slide presentation, as soon as made available, see
action item 4).
2.5 Inventory of ethno-cultural significance of the Maquis / 2.6 Comparison of legal frameworks for
the protection of the areas at issue
In absence of the Region of Creta, Miti Rossi Ferraris presents briefly the subject items of the studies to be
carried out by this partner, according to the approved project proposal.
Natale Giordano explains that, as Crete could not be present at the kick off meeting but further delay was
considered too much a threat to the project's stringent timetable, they decided that COPPEM will meet
bilaterally with Creta at the first of October. On this occasion their activities will be discussed and it will be
used as well to launch the project at a local level. Prof. Paspaliaris is invited to be present at the meeting, as
well as Miti Rossi Ferraris, in order to guarantee the coordination of WP 1. Prof Paspaliaris regrets that he
will not able to be there. Miti Rossi Ferraris will analyse the possibilities. Giordano will inform the partners of
the outcomes of this meeting.
Discussion upon scientific issues

    ●   Prof Paspaliaris considers necessary to define more precisely the areas in which the studies and the
        pilot projects will be carried out and to decide which kinds of maquis will be highlighted in the
        different ecomuseums. This in order to define which areas and plants will be more profoundly
        described on the web site and which areas and plans only briefly. In a broader sense, it should be
        decided by the partnership which information should be collected to be exposed in the GIS
        application and/or web site and who will supply which data.

    ●   Van Leijen points out that in a broad sense each partner engaged according to the project
        description in a certain aspect of study. Their deliverables should be ready at the end of October
        (Univ. Bari only an interim report), in order to be used in the Model (NTUA task) which should be
        ready one month later. These inputs could be used by the NTUA and CINIGEO. In case the format is
        not adequate, partners are expected to be available to deliver simply existing data on the maquis, in
        order to fill the GIS with information. She proposes that CINIGEO and NTUA make up a list of
        information they need, confronting this with the scientific coordinator Miti Rossi Ferraris. This list can
        than be discussed at next meetings and assessed on the actual feasibility by the involved partners.
        Partners than can send in information as soon as they have it available.

    ●   Prof. Ricciardi points out that their study will be exclusively focalised on the species mentioned in the
        project proposal. In this regards, he asks if it is possible to focalise more in depth on only one
        species. From the first results of their study it appears that the Amygdalus webbii Spach offers much
        more interesting information than the Pyrus amygdaliformis Vill, and it has appeared that the
        subsequent DNA research will require much more resources. Therefore they propose to carry out
        the detailed DNA research only on the Amygdalus webbii Spach, and not on the Pyrus

    ●   Prof. Resta explains that the interest of these species for the maquis stem most of all from an
        environmental perspective: they grow especially in the border areas of habited areas and natural
        maquis, and their presence is of special significance to avoid degradation of the maquis by human
    ●   Gertruud van Leijen explains that such a deviation, from a formal point of view, is possible but it
        should be properly justified in the progress report. Moreover, it should be very well justified why in
        this case of abolishing part of the study, the study will have the same costs. Otherwise, the
        authorities may refuse the deviation and will cut the budget.

    ●   Natale Giordano stresses that the approved project proposal should be the guideline of all the
        activities. In case of slight modifications of activities, and with the approval of the entire partnership,
        they can be accepted but the main idea should remain to respect the proposed activities as much as

    ●   Prof. De Mastro stresses that University of Bari will exactly do what has been written in the report,
        but they would be pleased to be able to deviate in the sense as described above for scientific
        reasons. The collection of data on a broader range of species is not foreseen and will not be done.

    ●   Gertruud van Leijen stresses that the project proposal however defines that the research should
        produce a 'Description of botanic and genetic variety of herbs and shrubs of by means of case study'
        on the two mentioned species. It should therefore be guaranteed that the study is representative in
        some way for the entire maquis. In this regard, it would be useful that the University supplies - in
        terms of data f.e. - also some more generic information on a variety of species, to be included in the
        GIS. This would also be in line with what was stated by prof Paspaliaris: specific information on the
        areas and species object of Ecomuseums (in this case the nursery which will be created in Bari); and
        some general information on other species.

    ●   Natale Giordano points out that it is of major importance that partners keep in mind the wider
        objectives of the project - to achieve the creation of Ecomuseum Districts - and that all the activities
        should be carried out with this objective in mind. It is important to realise that scientific arguments
        are not sufficient to justify any change as this is not a research project but a project financed by the
        European Regional Development Fund: research is intended to favour socio-economic and
        sustainable development of the territory, and not a goal in itself (other programmes exist for that).
        The individual researcher thus is not completely free in this case, while moreover the lead partner
        has the task to guarantee that all project activities lead to this general objective of the ERDF.

    ●   A doubt is put forwards to the usefulness of including general data on the maquis in the web site.
        Sites with this kind of information maybe already exist (it will be subsequently verified).

    ●   Prof. Paspaliaris points out that in all this discussions we should keep one thing strongly in mind: the
        main project deliverable is the definition of Ecomuseum Districts. If this is achieved in different ways
        than foreseen, also in relation to the roles and functions of the partners, it means that the project
        has been a success. A flexible approach is the best way in which to strive together to this objective.

Establishment data next meetings
According to the project timetable the Kick off meeting should have taken place in July and the first meeting
of the TB Studies at the end of August. At the end of October the next project meeting should be organised
by the IAMB in Bari: the TB Network should discuss the Preparation of the Constitution of the ECOMEMAQ
Transnational Network (WP 3) and discuss the Preparation and implementation of cultural events (WP 4).
As well a Steering Committee meeting is foreseen to monitor progress and decide on eventual deviations
from the action plan.
Considering the actual delays incurred in starting up the project and in view of the discussions and open
questions risen during the present meeting, it is obvious that the meeting should also be dedicated to the
progress in the WP 2 - Studies, in order to achieve closure of the WP (with the exception of the study of the
University of Bari) within at least november.
Therefore it is decided to organise the meeting as a joint meeting TB Studies/TB Network and
Dissemination/Steering Committee.
As some participants had to leave the meeting urgently, the definition of the date has been left to a later
moment. The TUC will propose several dates between the end of October and the beginning of November,
in order to assess the availability of partners. COPPEM will define the definitive date on the base of partners'
feed back. All partners will then receive an electronic invitation with an agenda-proposal. Who wants to add
items to the agenda will be invited to propose them in due time.
Natale Giordano closes the meeting thanking all partners for their excellent contributions and looking
forwards to keep on the pleasant collaboration.

To top