DNY: Prof. Diane Paravazian
Assignment One: work in pairs or individually
Note: This assignment is linked to Assignment Three, a research/reflection paper on the
same topic, due on February 21.
Due: February 2; hand in on the day of your presentation
1. Select a chapter in New York City: A Brief History by Robert R. Tomes;
2. Using information from the Library Session, identify 3 sources for a Bibliography
on a particular topic of the chapter. Your bibliography must have at least one
book, one scholarly or peer reviewed article and one primary source, (newspaper
article, interview, etc.) Speak to library staff and or the professor if you cannot
find any of these sources;
3. Using the sources in your bibliography, establish 3 citations on a particular topic
of the chapter;
4. Present the topic you have cited and which interested you particularly to the class
in a brief, 3-5 minute informal presentation. Show the class where and how you
found the information and what criteria you used to select a particular source.
Bring the book you used to class on the day of your presentation;
5. Hand in a copy of the chapter with bibliography and citations.
If two of you are working on the same chapter, make sure your topic, citations, footnotes
and sources are different.
Use MLA style for footnotes and bibliography.