Library Lesson Plan
Topic: Introduction to the PAC and WebPath Express
Level(s): Grades 9-12
Objective(s): Students will be able to search the PAC in Destiny by author, title,
keyword, subject and series.
Students will be able to locate a book once the title and call number
Students will be able to find the WebPath Express list of
recommended web sites within the PAC
Students will understand the tools available to them in Destiny
Materials: LCD projector and laptop with internet connection
Student Destiny/PAC/WebPath Express worksheet
Standards/ Strand I: Information Literacy and Reading
Content Standard: The student will be able to access, evaluate, and
apply information in a variety of formats.
Benchmark #1: The student will develop an increasing proficiency
in accessing, reading and using materials, both fiction and nonfiction.
1. Using the LCD projector and laptop, login to the GISD Destiny
homepage at either http://gisd-destiny01
or http://destiny.gisd.k12.nm.us; select school site of choice.
2. Illustrate the use of each of the search buttons: keyword, title, author,
subject and series.
3. Show students that results also include WebPath Express entries
which are lists of recommended web sites. Each web site has a brief
summary along with appropriate grade level. Encourage students to
use these web sites instead of searching on Google or Yahoo.
4. Direct students to Destiny Quest where they can perform the following:
view a listing of the most frequently checked-out titles
see the library materials most recently added to the collection
search for materials by subject; drag and save titles to “My
Refine search to identify specific reading levels and AR
post or read reviews on materials read
5. Hand out PAC/WebPath Express activity sheet and direct students to
Evaluation: Grade the PAC/WebPath Express activity sheet
On the desktop of your computer, click on the PAC/Internet icon and complete the
1. Give the general Dewey Decimal number for books about the following:
A book about cars? _______________________________
A book about the universe? _________________________
A book about soccer? _______________________________
2. Type the word “mystery” and click on the SUBJECT button. Find and list
titles and call numbers of two mystery books.
Title Call Number
3. Write the title of one book by each of these authors:
J. R. R. Tolkien ___________________________________________________
Ann Brashares ____________________________________________________
Margaret Weis ____________________________________________________
4. Find the last names of the authors of these titles:
Crystal Doors _____________________________________________________
The Beat Goes On _________________________________________________
5. Type in “rain forest” and look for the WebPath Express entries. List 2 URLs
where you can find information.
6. Locate Destiny Quest on the PAC catalog page on the left side-bar and click
it. List the titles of the first and tenth books on the “Top !0” list.
7. In Destiny Quest, list the titles of the first two titles on the “New Arrivals” list.
8. Do a search on Destiny Quest for “sports”. Narrow your search to show only
books with a 4.5 reading level and no limit for points. Give the titles of two
books from your results.