ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT– FEES OFFICE
INCUMBENT: DIVISION: Administrative Services
GROUP: CUPE DEPARTMENT: Finance & Budget Dev
CLASSIFICATION: Level VI DATE REVIEWED: April 2003
This is a key customer service position in the Fees Office, which is the first point of contact with students and
sponsors regarding their accounts. The incumbent is responsible for processing Accounts Receivable
subsidiary ledger transactions and administering subsidiary ledger accounts with adherence to procedures and
Reports to: Accounting Technician
Subordinate Staff: None
Other internal contacts: All levels of college staff
External contacts: Regular contact with students, government agencies, sponsoring agencies and
1. Administer and control Accounts Receivable subsidiary ledgers.
2. Provide information and assistance to queries from students, staff and organizations regarding
account balances, billings and refunds.
3. Process sponsorship contracts and invoicing.
4. Process student and sponsorship refunds.
5. Process other types of payments or transactions, which are outside the normal cash procedures to
student accounts. Includes Student Loan Payments, Staff Tuition Free, Internal Scholarships,
Electronic Fund Transfers, Staff Development Fund Transfers, Departmental Transfers, Id Transfers,
6. Reconcile sponsoring company/agency accounts.
7. Work with internal departments to administer billings, loans and grants.
8. Administer internal and external student and organization collections.
9. Provide support to Accounting Technician and coverage to other functions in the Accounts
10. Other related duties as assigned by the Accounting Technician on a regular or unique basis.
• Graduate of a two-year business program or enrolled in a recognized accounting program with a
minimum of three years of accounting experience in a computerized environment or an equivalent
combination of experience and education.
• Personal computer skills
• Customer Service experience
PERFORMANCE COMPETENCIES AND CRITERIA:
• Deals effectively with students, general public and college staff including exercising high standards
of customer service.
• Accounts are posted and reconciled in a timely manner with a high degree of accuracy.
• Exhibits initiative and good judgment for required and assigned tasks.
• Treats institutional information on a confidential basis in accordance with Red Deer College Policy
and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of Alberta.
• Shall include factors related to the process of the position, as well as achievement standards related
to duties set out in the position description, annual major objectives and special assignments.
• Maintains organized, detailed work area and file system.
Supervisor: ______________________ Date:_____________________________
Incumbent: _______________________ Date: _____________________________