By: Lydia Duck
About Mia’s Childhood
• Mia’s full name is Mariel Margert Hamm.
• Mia was born March 17, 1972.
• Mia was born in Selma, Alabama
• Mia was 5ft. 5in.(1.63m) tall
• Mia’s position is forward.
•Mia was the youngest player
ever to play for our national
team (age 15), and she
retired in 2004 after 17 years,
2 world championships and 2
Olympic Gold medals.
• Mia is recognized as the world’s best all
around women’s soccer player. In Atlanta
at the 1996 Olympics games, she proved it by
leading her team to team gold in front of
80,000 fans in Athens, Georgia.
Mia was surprised .
• Even Mia looked surprised after
scoring a goal in the American 6-0
win over Finland in a “friendly”
game played in Davidson, North
Carolina, on April 30,1995.
Mia’s got the ball.
• Mia controls the ball early at the
game summer Olympics in Atlanta on
Mia’s in UNC
• Mia played at the University of North
Carolina and led her team to four NCAA
championships in a row. Her awards and
accomplishments only tell part of the story of
this remarkable athlete. She gives much of
her precious free time to charitable causes
Mia’s got the ball
• University of
Tar Heel Mia
Hamm takes the
Mia steals the ball.
• Mia Hamm slides for a steal during
the over time half of the 1999 world
cup against China.
Women’s athlete the sport of
• In anything she does Mia promotes
women’s soccer and a feeling of
confidence and sense of purpose in
• The End of Mia Hamm slideshow.