PLEASE POST PLEASE POST
BIRMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS
ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT FOR
Applications are being accepted for the position of Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources with duties
to begin no later than January 28, 2013, or until the position is filled. This is an executive level (non-bargaining
unit) position with a 12-month work year from July through June.
JOB SUMMARY: The Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources reports directly to the
Superintendent and is responsible for human resources leadership and for all personnel office functions and
activities: recruitment, selection, evaluation, and personnel administration for all employees. The Assistant
Superintendent for Human Resources is responsible for all collective bargaining activities, including the
administration of contracts; workers’ compensation; fringe benefit programs; substitute procurement for
personnel, paraprofessionals, and secretarial/clerical staffs: personnel record keeping and other personnel
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate selected will possess the best combination of the following
required and preferred qualifications:
1. Master’s degree or higher in Human Resources, Labor Relations or School Administration.
2. Knowledge and experience within the field of contemporary human resources.
3. Experience in labor relations and acting as a negotiator.
4. Positive record in proactive and collaborative leadership in developing working relationships with
employee groups and bargaining units.
5. Successful experience in interviewing, selecting and evaluating teachers and other personnel.
1. Ability to work in a trusting and positive manner with other administrators and community members.
2. Demonstrates positive interpersonal relationships.
3. Successful experience in maintaining good employee morale and promoting staff development.
4. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
5. Understanding of technology and its application in the school setting.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Recruits, screens and recommends the employment of applicants for professional staff; and supervises
the recruitment, screening and selection of secretarial/clerical staff, paraprofessional and other support
2. Negotiates the districts collective bargaining agreements.
3. Coordinates employee evaluation programs.
4. Coordinates support staff development programs, including group in-service and other training activities
involving classified employees and their supervisors and other administrators.
5. Authorizes salaries and/or wages and prepares and monitors salary accounts.
6. Maintains personnel records for employees as required by law, union agreements, and district
7. Administers provisions of collective bargaining agreements and/or district procedures dealing with
staffing, discipline, leaves, termination and early retirement pay, vacations, absences, and supplemental
8. Prepares various personnel research reports required by the district and other outside agencies.
9. Insures the instructional staff is properly certified and meets all of the state and federal guidelines
pertaining to certification.
10. Provides executive administration of negotiations as directed by the Superintendent.
11. Organizes and manages a substitute service for absent certified, paraprofessional and
12. Provides leadership in the development of the District’s budget.
13. Recommends salary, fringe benefits, and other employment conditions for non-bargaining unit
14. Supervises a staff including manager, operational/administrative assistants and secretaries.
15. Other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: An attractive and competitive salary and benefits package is available. Salary
range for the 2012-2013 school year is $111,563 to $137,140 annually. A comprehensive fringe benefits
package, including Board paid tax-sheltered annuity, insurances, vacation and sick leave is included. The work
year is 260 days.
METHOD OF APPLICATION: Candidates meeting the above qualifications and wishing to accept the
duties and responsibilities outlined should SUBMIT A LETTER OF INTEREST AND CURRENT RESUME BY
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2012, to:
Mr. Scott Little
Interim Executive Director of Human Resources
Birmingham Public Schools
550 West Merrill St.
Birmingham, MI 48009
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER