Unit 11 PART 2 REVIEW
1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?
2. What is the collision theory?
3. What three conditions must be satisfied for a chemical reaction to occur according to collision theory?
4. What is activation energy?
5. Low activation energy means results in a slow/fast reaction rate.
6. Using those factors studied in the chemistry lab; describe how each affects reaction rate in terms of collision
7. What are two additional factors that affect the rate of reaction not studied in the lab?
8. Given a reaction with sodium hydroxide as opposed to calcium hydroxide, which will occur faster and why?
9. Which will react faster; 1.0M HCl(aq) or 3.0 HCl(aq) when mixed with chalk?
10. What is a substance that increases the rate of reaction without being consumed in the reaction?
11. A catalyst will increase/decrease rate of reaction whereas an inhibitor will increase/decrease the rate of
12. How does the activation energy of an uncatalyzed reaction differ from a catalyzed reaction?
13. Discuss why a block of ice takes hours to melt whereas as crushed ice in a cup takes only an hour.
14. Which factors that affect rate of reaction involve kinetic energy? Potential Energy?
15. What are energy bar charts and how are they used?
16. Does chemical potential energy increase or decrease in an endothermic reaction?
17. Given the following reaction and bar chart, answer the following questions.
NH4Cl(s) + NaOH(aq) + energy → NH4OH(aq) +NaCl(aq)
18. Is this an exothermic or endothermic reaction? How can you tell?
19. Describe what happens to the thermal energy in this chart from its beginning as a reactant to its end as a
20. Describe what happens to the chemical potential energy in this chart from its beginning as a reactant to its end
as a product?
21. Based on your answers to the above two questions make a statement concerning chemical potential energy and
how it related to potential energy of the reactants and products.
22. Is energy conserved in this chart and how can you tell?
23. What is the role of the activated complex in a chemical reaction?
24. In the activated complex, what chemical bonds are broken and what chemical bonds are formed?
25. Using the following potential energy graph, answer the following questions.
26. Label the location of the reactants, products and activated complex.
27. How do you calculate activation energy when using a potential energy diagram?
28. How do you determine heat of reaction using a potential energy diagram?
29. What is the value of the potential energy of the reactants? Products? Activated complex?
30. How do you determine heat of reaction using a potential energy diagram?
31. What is heat of reaction and how do you determine it using a potential energy diagram?
32. What is the value of the activation energy based on this graph?
33. What is the value of the heat of reaction based on this graph?
34. Is this an endothermic or exothermic reaction?
35. If AB is an exothermic reaction, how does the activation energy for the forward reaction compare with the
activation energy for the reverse reaction? Use your potential energy diagram worksheet to answer this