Entrepreneur Center (EC) / Social Enterprise Project
● EC currently supports social enterprises
● (More information will be gathered during EC interviews)
● How would you define social entrepreneurship?
● How does your organization support social enterprises currently?
● What business models have you seen be successful in the social enterprise realm?
● Are there any specific characteristics of the businesses or individuals that launch these
● What business/corporate structure do you feel is most successful?
● What skillsets lead to successful social enterprises?
● What are the biggest gaps and obstacles to successful start-ups?
● How are these skills different from for-profit start-up entrepreneurs?
● How are these skills different from non-profit start-up entrepreneurs?
● How can we (the EC) identify qualified social entrepreneurs that need funding/support?
● Document current process that EC uses to support social enterprises
○ Agree upon definition of social enterprise
○ Gather all off-the-shelf material from EC on social enterprise support
○ Investigate finalizing 100 day plan for social enterprise
● Interview social enterprise subject matter experts in Nashville
● Interview social entrepreneurs to gather customer feedback
● Design/modify processes to better support social enterprises
● Create a whitepaper for :
○ Distribution to mayor’s office
○ Publication in local press
○ Publication in national press via Vanderbilt press contacts
○ Communication to social entrepreneurs
● Establish plan for potential CTP implementation in following years
Social Enterprise Subject Matter Experts - Target for Interviews
● Jim Schorr
● Hal Kato
● Louis Levine
● Elizabeth Crooke
● Margaret Dolan
● Ellen Lehman
● Michael Burcham - EC Head
● Clay Jackson - EC Director of Marketing
● Sam Lingo - EC Chief Operating Officer
● John Murdock - EC Director of Communications
● Scott Rouse - EC Creative Director
● Shaka Dickerson
● Mario Avila
● Samuel Frank
High-Level Project Plan
● Complete social enterprise subject matter expert interviews
● Conduct kick-off meeting with EC to understand current state
● Identify 5 social entrepreneurs to interview (Triple Thread)
● Complete 5 social entrepreneur interviews
● Finalize definition of social enterprise
● Gather all off-the shelf material from the EC
● Review material from the EC
● Investigate tech deliverable (web dev team)
● Redesign EC support processes
● Start creating content
● Refine whitepaper content and marketing kit
● Finalize whitepaper/marketing kit and all material
● Present to EC and CTP
● Publish material to mayor, press, EC, and social entrepreneurs