Review Questions for Chapter 4
1. What is the difference between a chemical reaction and a chemical equation?
2. Why must a chemical equation be balanced?
3. Why must you not change the subscripts of a formula to balance an equation?
4. List the steps in a systematic approach to balancing a chemical equation.
5. What is the stoichiometry of a reaction?
6. What is a stoichiometric factor or mole ratio?
7. What is a limiting reactant and how can you establish which reactant is the
8. How is percent yield for a reaction calculated?
9. Explain how a mixture can be analyzed to determine what, and how much, of a
substance is in the mixture.
10. Summarize the procedure used to establish the formula of a carbohydrate by
11. How can a molecular formula be established once the empirical formula is