Lab Safety Contract for Science Class 21. Students are not permitted in the laboratory storage or supply rooms or teacher
1. All accidents should be reported to the teacher immediately, no matter how workrooms unless directly instructed to do so.
minor. 22. Upon first entering the laboratory, students are not permitted to touch
2. Only those laboratory activities where instructions and permission have been laboratory equipment until directed to do so.
given by the teachers should be performed. 23. Always twist, never push glass tubing into stopper holes. Lubricate stopper
3. Only materials and equipment authorized by the teacher should be used. holes and glass tubing with glycerin to insert easily. Always use glass tubing
4. Written and verbal instructions should be followed carefully. All instructions with fire polished ends.
given by the teacher should be closely followed. 24. Never pour water into acid. Correctly dilute acid by pouring it into water.
5. Chemical goggles should be used when working in the laboratory and using 25. Direct viewing of the sun, infrared, ultraviolet light or laser sources should be
chemicals. Safety goggles may be used in other science laboratories when avoided at all times.
chemicals are not being used. 26. Never allow the open end of a heated test tube to be pointed toward anyone.
6. Students should prepare for each activity by reading all instructions. Follow all 27. Horseplay, running, pushing, shoving and practical jokes will not be tolerated.
directions carefully and intelligently. Make note of any deviations announced 28. Only authorized laboratory activities should be attempted at home.
by your instructor. 29. Students should never touch or handle laboratory animals without permission
7. No food, beverage, or smoking is permitted in any science laboratory. from the teacher.
8. Never taste, smell, or touch chemicals unless specifically instructed to do so. 30. Students should conduct themselves in a responsible manner at all times in a
9. Take great care in noting odors or fumes. Use a wafting motion of the hand. laboratory situation.
Never put a bottle to your nose and breathe deeply. Agreement
10. Hands should be washed thoroughly (15 sec) with soap at the conclusion of I have had the safety rules for the science laboratory explained to me and agree to follow
each laboratory period. these safety regulations while in science class. I further agree to follow all other written
11. Students should know the location of the emergency, first aid, and fire-fighting and verbal instructions given in class by the teacher.
12. Students should know the proper fire drill procedure and know where to get Student Signature ___________________________ Date ________________
13. Long sleeves should be rolled up above the wrist. Ties, coats, and sweaters As parent and/or guardian of the above named student, I have read and discussed the
should be removed. Long hair should be tied back during laboratory activity. rules with the student. I support safe laboratory practices and will insist on complete
14. Student apparel should be appropriate for laboratory work. Long handing compliance with the rules.
necklaces, bulky jewelry and excessive and bulky clothing should not be worn
in the laboratory. Closed-toed shoes are a must. Parent Signature ___________________________ Date ________________
15. Work areas should be kept clean and tidy.
Adapted form National Teachers Association, Wake County Public Schools, & samples in resource materials.
16. Students should always clean and wipe dry all desks, tables, or laboratory work
areas at the conclusion of each laboratory activity as part of good housekeeping Holiday, Peggy W. “Safety in the Science Laboratory: A Student Contract.” Safety and Science Education
Consultants, Inc., 11 Jul 2006 http://www.labsafety.org/pdf/Student_Safety_Contract.pdf.
17. Broken glass should be removed from work areas and the floor as soon as Lab Rules (the short form)
possible. Never handle broken glass with your bare hands. Broken glass
should be placed (using the proper techniques) in the labeled sharps box.
1. Get instructions first and follow them.
18. All solid waste should be placed in separate waste containers, jars, or other 2. Report accidents immediately.
designated receptacles. Do not discard any solids in the laboratory sinks. 3. Be careful, clean, and conscientious.
19. Do not bring any substance into contact with flame unless specifically told to
do so. 4. Stay in place and on task.
20. Only laboratory manuals and laboratory notebooks are permitted in the working
area. Other books, purses, book bags, and such items should be placed in your *Students will keep the signed copy of the Lab Safety Contract in their science notebook. The
desk, locker, or storage area. signed checklist will be kept on file.
Student Safety Contract Student Safety Contract
My teacher told me, ____________________, about these safety items in My teacher told me, ____________________, about these safety items in
my science class. (Place a check beside the items as they are explained.) my science class. (Place a check beside the items as they are explained.)
Safety Rules Safety Rules
How to use these: How to use these:
1. goggles ______ 7. goggles ______
2. eyewash ______ 8. eyewash ______
3. drench shower (if available) ______ 9. drench shower (if available) ______
4. fire extinguisher ______ 10. fire extinguisher ______
5. heat sources ______ 11. heat sources ______
6. glassware ______ 12. glassware ______
What to do when there is a/an: What to do when there is a/an:
1. fire ______ 5. fire ______
2. electrical emergency ______ 6. electrical emergency ______
3. chemical spill ______ 7. chemical spill ______
4. broken piece of glassware ______ 8. broken piece of glassware ______
Date ___________ Teacher _____________________ Date ___________ Teacher _____________________
In understand the safety procedures of my science lab. In understand the safety procedures of my science lab.
Student Signature ______________________________ Student Signature ______________________________
My child has explained the safety procedures to me.* My child has explained the safety procedures to me.*
Parent Signature ______________________________ Parent Signature ______________________________
*Students will keep the signed copy of the Lab Safety Contract in their *Students will keep the signed copy of the Lab Safety Contract in their
science notebook. This signed checklist will be kept on file. science notebook. This signed checklist will be kept on file.