Science in Motion- Ursinus College
Gel Analysis- Welcome to Genetic Research
Setup for Gel Analysis
1. Place the disk in your disk drive. Go to the My Computer icon on your desktop.
Choose the CD drive.
2. Choose the file called CrimeScene.cmbl or PaternityCase.cmbl. These files
contain a LoggerPro gel analysis program with an already loaded photograph of an
3. At the top of the screen, you will see that you are on Page 1. Go to Page 2. Page
two contains a description of what you are seeing on Page 1, the source of each lane
of the gel, and the base pairs in each band of the standard ladder.
4. Read Page 2 and then go back to Page 1 and follow the instructions below.
5. Click on the Set Origin button and position your cursor to the left of the first
well and click. A yellow origin will appear where vertical and horizontal lines
intersect. Drag the origin up or down to position the horizontal line in the middle
of all the wells. Use the dot on the horizontal line to rotate, if needed. The
vertical line is just to help align the horizontal line. Run it along the side of the
6. You now need to input a distance reference. Your photo includes a
centimeter scale on the left side of the gel. Click on the Set Scale button.
Draw a line from one point on the scale to another. Input the total distance. For
example if you drew a line from 2 to 7 you would input a 5. M on the input
7. Click on the Set Standard Ladder button. Click on the center of the first band
of the Standard Ladder (Lane SL) in the photo. Enter the number of base pairs in
the window that appears (this information is on Page2). Click on the next band
and repeat for all bands in the standard ladder.
8. Once the Standard Ladder has been set, click on the Add Lane button and on
the Add Lane option. Click on the center of the first band of the first experimental
lane. The number of base pairs will be calculated and entered in the data table and
on the graph. Click on each of the remaining bands in this lane.
9. To register the bands of the next lane, click on the Add Lane button and on the Add
Lane option that appears. Repeat procedure employed in step 8. This sequence is
repeated for each additional lane being added to your analysis of this gel photograph.
10. When you have entered all the data, print your graph. Go to File and then Print. A
printer option screen will appear. Enter the names of the people in your lab group. In
the comments section, enter Crime Scene or Paternity Case depending on which gel
you are analyzing. Print one copy for each member of your lab group.
11. Now go to Page 2 and study the information about the source of each lane. Using
the data you have collected, write a report as described on Page 2.