Western Civilization and United States History
Dr. Edrene S. McKay Website: Online-History.org Phone: (479) 855-6836
SKILLS ANALYSIS WORKSHEET
Name: Class: Date:
Key: 2 = Strongly Agree 1 = Agree 0 = Not sure -1 = Disagree -2 = Strongly Disagree
A. HAVE YOU MASTERED THE INTELLECTUAL HABITS OF MIND
REQUIRED BY A COLLEGE-LEVEL HISTORY CLASS? 0
1. I find it easy to summarize the main thesis of an author’s work and to identify
2. I can collect, organize, and synthesize information from a variety of sources without
3. I have no trouble making comparisons and pointing out similarities and differences
between sources of information.
4. I find it easy to identify cause and effect in history.
5. I can see patterns in history and make connections between historical developments
6. I am capable of creating visual representations of complex relationships in history.
7. I have no trouble evaluating conflicting interpretations of the past and formulating my
own interpretation based on sound reasoning principles.
8. I am imaginative, resourceful, and creative in my approach to history.
9. I am able to use other disciplines (e.g., political science, sociology, psychology, and
philosophy) to increase my understanding of human nature and to help interpret the
events of the past without difficulty.
10. I have been able to develop a global perspective (i.e., the ability to look beyond the
limitations of local, regional, and national interests).
11. I have no trouble writing a clear thesis statement and developing supporting arguments
that explain the historical evidence I have gathered in my research.
12. I have been able, in the past, to derive more than facts from my study of history (i.e., I
have insights and the capacity to make enlightened decisions about the future).
Skills Analysis Worksheet
B. ARE YOU SKILLED IN USING THE TOOLS OF THE HISTORIAN IN YOUR
RESEARCH AND WRITING?
1. DISCOVERY: My research skills are excellent. I can locate reliable primary and
secondary sources easily to help ascertain the facts about the past and document my
2. ANALYSIS: I have no difficulty examining primary and secondary sources, evaluating
their worth, and establishing a meaningful order in the chaos of materials I’ve collected.
3. INTERPRETATION: I can explain the context, meaning, and significance of primary
and secondary sources and draw conclusions easily.
4. COMMUNICATION: I am proficient in sharing my ideas, insights, and discoveries with
others using effective communication techniques.
5. I always seek perspective and enlightenment when I study the past.
C. DO YOU HAVE GOOD STUDY AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT SKILLS AND
ARE YOU ABLE TO WORK COLLABORATIVELY?
1. I am self-motivated, self-directed, and capable of self-assessment.
2. I have good organizational skills.
3. I am capable of efficient time management.
4. I have no trouble making complex tasks manageable.
5. I can plan and execute long-range goals with considerable ease.
6. My problem-solving and reasoning skills are well-developed.
7. I can work effectively with a team and am capable of collaborative decision-making.
8. I always take the initiative in working on projects rather than waiting for others to take
NOTE: How to interpret your score:
The highest possible score is 50.
A score of 25 is very good.
A score of zero is adequate
A negative score will require extra effort.