JOB FAMILY Catering
JOB TITLE Cook-in-charge – 32.5hrs pw, term-time + 1 week
GRADE Kent Range 5 £16,962 progressing to £18,656 through TCP
Summary of Job:
Provide an efficient catering service to the school and clients as required and managing
staff as appropriate. Organising appropriate menus and maintaining stock levels,
ensuring compliance with relevant Health & Safety and hygiene regulations.
Outline of Main Duties:
1. Deliver a meal service within nutritional and dietary guidelines, including portion
control, ensuring meals are cooked and served in a timely manner following safe
food hygiene standards, to provide well balanced meals at designated times
providing adequate choice.
2. Direct the day to day work of the kitchen team and provide supervision sessions to
ensure the function performs to appropriate high standards, and ensure kitchen is
suitably staffed at all times in order to provide the agreed level of service.
3. Ensure expenditure is kept within authorised budget limits by completing weekly food
ordering, checking orders to invoices, weekly stock taking, timesheets for staff, etc.
to ensure KCC’s policies and procedures are adhered to. Order sufficient provisions
ensuring special dietary requirements can be met, having due regard to freshness
and minimum wastage, ensuring correct storage.
4. Ensure correct Health & Safety and food hygiene procedures are adhered to at all
times and that defects to equipment and premises are reported appropriately to
maintain a safe working environment.
5. Organise and undertake on the job training for new kitchen staff to ensure a high
standard of service is maintained.
6. Liaise with outside agencies i.e. Environmental Health Officers and suppliers to
ensure high standards of food hygiene and quality of supplies are maintained.
7. Ensure the security of the kitchen and storerooms is maintained at all times to
provide a safe working environment.
8. Assist with the cooking, serving of meals and cleaning of kitchen area, as
appropriate, in order to provide an effective service. Oversee and assist with the
setting out of the dining room area.
9. Attend training courses as required and assist in the training of other catering staff as
10.Comply with Health and Safety, Fire Regulations and other County policies
11. When required provide meals/buffet for functions held in the school Community
Centre or Meeting Room within an allocated budget.
12. Provision of meals for pupils including those with special dietary requirements,
making appropriate changes where necessary.
13. Enrich children’s lives around healthy eating
Responsible to : Headteacher
Staff & Others Supervised by the Job Holder:
Kitchen Assistant and Assistant Cook.
This job description will be reviewed annually and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after
consultation with the post holder. It is not a comprehensive statement of procedures and tasks, but sets out the main
expectations of the School in relation to the post holder’s professional responsibilities and duties, including the provision of
high quality teaching and learning and the pastoral care of the children in their charge. Elements of this job description and
changes to it may be negotiated at the request of either the Headteacher or the incumbent of the post.
Signed: Revision date: