International Coffee/Intern Application
DIRECTIONS: Please type clearly on this form and e-mail your application and the Staff
Recommendation Form to Danny Sharpe: email@example.com
Vida Joven Nicaragua Coffee and Intern Position Summary
DESCRIPTION: Vida Joven/Young Life Nicaragua invites an energetic person to serve in
Nicaragua as an intern for one year. The intern will work in 3 principal areas: Coffee, summer
mission teams and international schools
1. Coffee: The intern will serve as a developer and marketer of our award winning coffee
product to North American mission teams. They will be involved in web page design,
social networking, marketing and development of Beyond Beans Coffee.
2. Mission Teams: The intern serves as an ambassador for the ministry, a translator,
and a host to the American teams who come from the US to complete work projects at
the camp or in cities with existing ministries. This person is also a mediator between the
Nicaraguan staff and the Americans who work together, enabling communication and
friendships which supersede cultural and language barriers. The position offers an
excellent opportunity for personal growth and trust in Christ while living in a cross-cultural
3. The intern will volunteer in the Young Life outreach to The American Nicaraguan
School in Managua.
a. Market and sell coffee to North American mission teams coming to visit
b. Develop a coffee tour for North America missionaries in Nicaragua to educate
them about Beyond Beans Coffee and to sell coffee to their mission teams.
c. Be active in all aspects of work teams from pick up to drop off (arrival-departure).
d. Participate in all activities and projects alongside work team members.
e. Communicate effectively with fellow staff and/or interns.
f. Work with a team of motivated adults, both younger and older.
g. Translate testimonies, instructions and everyday conversations.
h. Attend club meetings during the week
i. Take kids to camp
a. Must have a deep love for Christ and for kids.
b. Must feel called to serve the ministry.
c. Must be a leader.
d. Must be a team builder.
e. Must have a teachable heart.
f. Must have the ability to raise money.
g. Must be a self-starter.
h. Must be creative, flexible and hardworking.
i. Must have survival Spanish speaking ability, with a commitment to study Spanish
throughout the internship
j. We also ask that you have a prior knowledge/understanding of Young Life/Vida
Joven and our ministry here in Nicaragua or in the States.
Date Citizenship Place of birth
Permanent Address Permanent Phone ( )
City State/Province Zip/Postal
School I Attend (if applicable) Major Year in school
School or other present address
City State/Province Zip/Postal
Phone ( ) Hours when you are at this number
Which address should we use to communicate with you? permanent school e-mail
Use school address until (date) E-mail address
Name of your Young Life leader (if applicable) Young Life area
Present occupation full-time OR part-time?
Do you play a musical instrument? Which one?
Do you speak and/or have you studied Spanish? no yes
I have completed the Young Life Leader Training Program: no yes
Date of completion Name of Home Church
Certain situations may benefit from special certifications or training. List Certification
information if applicable. Certification(s) held:
Date Issued: ____________________________________________________________
For example: EMT? ACLS? CPR? Lifeguard, etc?
The Intern position is for the following dates: Fall of 2012 through summer of 2013.
Fundraising Need $1,000/month.
(Airfare not included in above)
Please use as much space as necessary in answering the following questions.
1. What do you hope to give and receive from the intern experience in Nicaragua?
2. Have you served in Latin America before? If so, where and what did you do?
3. Please list any experience or knowledge you have in marketing, coffee, or sales.
4. Please include a short autobiography (1 page maximum) of your Christian experience.
5. Why do you feel called to serve in Nicaragua?
6. What is your relationship to Young Life/Vida Joven, past and present? Be specific.
7. Please note all ministry experiences and training. Describe your involvement as a participant
or in a leadership role.
8. Indicate your goals and expectations in relation to your potential experience overseas.
9. List your strengths and weaknesses. In what areas do you feel you need to grow?
10. How do you feel about living cross-culturally for this experience? How do feel about
sacrificing consistent contact with loved ones for the intern assignment?
11. What previous work experience do you have that would be applicable?
I agree to work at any job on the project/property to which I am assigned.
The local ministry will assume NO transportation to or in the country of Nicaragua.
I will locate and secure my own room and board with the help of the local ministry. I realize that I
will be responsible to pay for this (this is included in the amount I raise) and that I will not receive
a salary or any other type of payment for my services.
I will not be eligible for any benefits associated with actual employment.
I agree to begin and remain for the exact intern period and understand that I will be required to
live in my housing for the duration of the assignment.
All staff, including interns, agree to abide by all established Young Life regulations during the
If accepted, I agree to personally and immediately notify Young Life Nicaragua if personal
circumstances affect my availability.