POSITION DESCRIPTION, Form 30 - STATE POSITION TITLE CODE
Commonwealth of Massachusetts F030C
1. POSITION TITLE AGENCY
Social Worker C Department of Children and Families (formerly DSS)
2. APPROPRIATION POSITION NO REQUISITION NO. SALARY DATE PREPARED
3. GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provides clients with direct social services including casework, group work, or other relevant therapeutic models, and/or provides
assessment, intake and referral services; using a significant amount of independent judgment and decision-making, provides
consultation to other community, public or private agencies; performs related work as required.
4. SUPERVISION RECEIVED (Name and title of person from whom incumbent receives direction)
Works under the general supervision of an employee of higher grade who periodically reviews work for performance and
5A. DIRECT REPORTING STAFF 5B. THEIR STAFF
6. DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Interview applicants or clients to obtain information to determine their eligibility for agency services;
Conducts intake and initial assessment studies and develops preliminary service plans for clients;
Diagnoses client’s needs and develops, implements and reviews service plans for assigned clients;
Provides social services to individuals and/or families, including casework, group work or other relevant therapeutic models
and coordinates and evaluates the implementation of their service plans;
Arranges for the provision of services for and or placement of clients in programs, such as foster homes, adoptive homes,
community programs and/ or group facilities;
Makes home visits to prospective and current clients, such as natural parents, children, disabled adults, foster parents, and
residential service providers;
Receives and screens emergency calls and responds to social service emergencies in an appropriate manner, such as
notifying staff or making visits to clients;
Keeps accurate and timely case records.
7. QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledges, skills and abilities)
1. Knowledge of the principles and practices of effective intervention with children, families and disabled adults.
2. Skill in the practices of effective intervention with children, families and disabled adults.
3. Skill in the use of counseling techniques.
4. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally an in writing.
5. Ability to develop and implement treatment and service plans.
6. Considerable knowledge of the agency’s rules, regulations and procedures concerning assigned program.
8. QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON THE JOB (list knowledges, skills and abilities)
9. MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
At least two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional experience as a licensed social worker or after certification as a
child protective worker as permitted by state law.
A Master’s degree in social work, psychology, sociology, counseling, counseling education, or human services may be
substituted for one year of the required experience on the basis of two years of education for one year of experience,
A Doctorate in social work, psychology, sociology, counseling education, or humans services may be substituted for the
required experience on the basis of two years of education for one year of experience.
One year of education equals 30 semester hours. Education toward a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion
of the requirements actually completed.
A Bachelor’s or higher degree.
A Bachelor’s or higher degree in social work, psychology, sociology, counseling, counseling education, or human services is
preferred for positions in the Department of Social Services.
10. LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Current and valid licensure as a Licensed Social Work Associate, Licensed Social Worker, Licensed Certified Social Worker, or
a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Social Work is required.
Based on assignment, a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s license or the equivalent from
another state may be required.
SIGNATURE OF APPOINTING AUTHORITY__________________________________ TITLE_____________________________
AGENCY______________________________________________ PREPARED BY________________________________________
INITIALS OF INCUMBENT______________ DATE___________ INITIALS OF SUPERVISOR__________ DATE___________