THE SILKEN WINDHOUND SOCIETY
RECOMMENDED CODE OF CONDUCT FOR MEMBERS.
This code of conduct has been drawn up on the assumption that owners
and breeders of Silken Windhound's are responsible and reputable people.
This code has been officially adopted by the Society in 2012.
All involved in the breed should consider themselves custodians of the
breed, its wellbeing and a wish to continue it.
1. Breed for quality, adhereing to the breed standard, never solely for
2. It is recommended that all progeny sold as pets, are not to be bred from.
This must be made clear to the prospective buyer at the time of sale and
confirmed in writing.
3. When selling overseas, sell only to known or recommended persons,
and to persons living in such countries with animal welfare standards
similar to the U.K.
4. Never sell to a dealer.
5. Sell only to carefully vetted or recommended homes, giving detailed
instructions on general management, and a full diet sheet that extends
beyond the puppy stage.
6.Encourage buyers to keep in touch throughout the life of the hound.
Encourage membership of The Silken Windhound Society.
7.Be prepared to take back any hound, whos owner may no longer be able
to cope with it.
8.Never breed or keep more hounds than can be looked after personally.
9.Breed only from bitches that have reached maturity - eg, two years old. It
is generally agreed that three litters in a lifetime is sufficient for any bitch.
10.Allow your males to be used at stud only when satisfied with the good
intentions of the owner of the bitch, and totally satisfied that the resulting
progeny should improve on their parents. Be prepared to assist the owner
of the bitch in finding suitable homes for any puppies sired by your dog.
11. Do not allow puppies to leave their dam too early. Eight weeks is soon
12. It is the duty of all Silken Windhound owners to ensure their hounds are
under controll at all times. To keep them well exercised and in good health,
and endeavour to futher promote the breed.