Co ur se De scr iption
In recent years, there is more stringent legisla-
tion for wastewater effluent quality which requires
that the level of training for people involved in
wastewater treatment be increased. This course is
designed to provide the participants with a funda-
mental understanding of the operation and design C ourse Objectives
of domestic wastewater treatment processes. The
course integrates science and engineering prin- On completion of the course, the participants
ciples that are related to design and operation of should :
wastewater treatment facility. In this course em- • Have knowledge of the impurities in domestic
phasis are on the design aspect of the treatment wastewater, their concentrations and impor-
processes. tance in the treatment.
• Understand the principles and technology of
wastewater treatment and able to specify the
appropriate technologies for treatment.
• Be familiar with the key design parameters for
most of the widely used wastewater treatment
• Have knowledge about processes for sludge
handling and treatment
Wastewater and Sewage Treatment
W ho sho uld attend?
• Managers, operators and engineers involved in the operation of domestic wastewater treatment sys-
• People work in the government in the field of wastewater treatment
• People work in industry in the field of wastewater treatment.
In s t r ucto r P r o f ile
11th – 15th October 2009 - Abu Dhabi
Professor Ibrahim M. Abu-Reesh obtained his M.Sc. and D.Sc. degree in Chemical Engi-
neering from Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, USA. In addition to this he holds
a B.Sc. in Petroleum Refining Engineering from Suez Canal University, Egypt. Currently he
is a visiting Professor at Chemical Engineering Department, American university of Shar-
jah .Before joining the American university of Sharjah Dr Abu-Reesh was professor at the
University of Jordan.
Dr. Abu-Reesh’s area of research is biochemical engineering and environmental biotech-
nology. He published more than 60 papers in reputed international chemical engineering
journals. Dr. Abu-Reesh worked as operation engineer in Petroleum Refinery Co. of Jordan . He also worked
for three years at Chemical Engineering Department , King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals
,Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. He has conducted a number of short courses for chemical, petrochemical and food
industries in Jordan ,Saudi Arabia and UAE.
C ontact :
Tel : +971 2 4478500
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
C o u rse O ut l i ne C ontact Information
Day One : Main Office
• Review of wastewater terminology
• Characterization of wastewater TUV Akademie Middle East
Physical characteristics P O Box 46030
Chemical characteristics Abu Dhabi
Biological characteristics United Arab Emirates
• Overview of wastewater treatment processes Tel : +971 2 4478500
• Preliminary treatment
Fax : +971 2 4478558
Screening, Comminuting, Grit removal
Email : email@example.com
• Primary treatment
Flotation For any information or registration for the course, you
• Flow equalization can contact the Course Co-ordinator at the contact de-
Filtration tails mentioned overleaf.
Day Two :
• Secondary (Biological) treatment processes C ourse Fee
• Bioprocess kinetics
• Aerobic versus anaerobic
• Aeration and agitation
Fee : US$ 3,690 per delegate
• Suspended versus attached-growth treatment pro-
• Reactors without recycle versus reactors with recycle Duration of course : 5 days
• Aerobic treatment processes
• Activated sludge Date : 11th - 15th October 2009
• Trickling filters
• Rotating biological contactors Location : Abu Dhabi
• Sequencing batch reactor
• Constructed wetlands
• Stabilization bond
• Aerated lagoons Other Information
Day Three :
• Anaerobic treatment processes
TUV Akademie Certificate will be issued to all attend-
• Microbiology , chemistry of anaerobic processes
• Anaerobic reactor systems (sludge digestion,UASB,…)
• Nitrification and denitrification
• Membrane bioreactor (MBR) Course Fee mentioned is per delegate.
• Tertiary treatment
Membrane Avail an attractive 5% discount on course fee if you
Adsorption register 30 days before course start date.
Courses will be conducted during the designated dates
Day Four : at a 4 star or 5 star hotel in the designated city.
• Biological nutrient removal
Nitrogen removal Payments to be made in advance. Exact venue of the
Phosphorus removal training will be notified two weeks prior to course start
• Disinfection date.
Ozonation This rate includes course notes, buffet lunch, coffee/tea
on arrival, morning and afternoon of each day.
• Design problems
Accomodation is not included in course fees. However,
Rotating biological contactors any accomodation required can be arranged by TUV
• Selection of a suitable treatment process Akademie at time of booking.
• Sludge treatment and disposal
• Sludge generation and production
• Sludge characterization
• Sludge thickening
• Sludge stabilization
• Sludge conditioning Partners
• Sludge dewatering
• Sludge reuse and disposal
• Health problems associated with sludge
• Discussions / Summary