COMMUNICABLE DISEASE MANUAL POLICIES/PROCEDURES
OBJECTIVE: The control and management of Kawasaki disease.
DESCRIPTION: Acute febrile, exanthematous, multi-system illness of importance because of the
development of coronary artery abnormalities. Occurs in early childhood - usually 1 to
5 years old. Clinically high spiking fever unresponsive to antibiotics, (more than 5 days
duration) associated with pronounced irritability and mood change. Diagnosis made
when patient has fever and at least four of five features: 1) bilateral conjunctivitis, 2)
red sore lips, mouth, or throat, 3) red rash on body, 4) swollen, red, tender hands and
feet with peeling skin, 5) lymphondenopathy with 1 node greater or equal to 1.5 cm in
diameter or fever with 3 features and evidence of coronary artery abnormalities. No
evidence of person-to-person transmission. The cause and incubation period are
EQUIPMENT: MDSS User Manual and disease specific form found in MDSS. Also MDCH Web site
at www.michigan.gov/cdinfo and CDC Web site at
POLICY: Legal Responsibility: Michigan's communicable disease rules of Act No. 368 of
the Public Acts of 1978, as amended, being 333.5111 of the Michigan Compiled
Laws. Follow-up time within 72 hours post referral AND ENTER INTO
MDSS WITHIN 24 HOURS OF RECEIPT OF REFERRAL.
PROCEDURE: A. Case Investigation
1. Referral received per phone call, laboratory results, or
automatically through MDSS.
2. Document all case investigation proceedings.
3. Contact MD and/or client to start process of completing disease
specific form in MDSS.
B. Control Measures
1. Preventive measures unknown.
2. Outbreaks and clusters should be investigated.
C. MDSS Case Report
1. Complete case investigation using disease specific form in MDSS.
2. Notify CD Supervisor that the case report is ready for review. PHN will
be notified if corrections are needed prior to closing case in MDSS.
3. CD Supervisor reviews case for completeness and closes MDSS case
RESOURCES: Current Red Book
Current Control of Communicable Diseases Manual
Current disease specific “Fact Sheet”
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\c0bb99c6-1178-46e9-ab66-72530cd22ecf.docPage 1 of 1